Hi Everyone

rharleyldy
rharleyldy Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone, 

I was diagnosed with stage 3 anal cancer 3 weeks ago. The treatment regimine they have me on is 6 weeks of radiation with 2 weeks with a 5FU pump thru a PICC line. I have just completed 1 weeks of the 5FU and 2 weeks of radiation but seemed to have severe radiation burn already. I have tried using Aloe Vera with lidocaine but not helping. I've been switching between extra strength Tylenol and Oxhydrocodone. Lately, it seems that only thing that helps is sitting in a warm bath for a couple of hours. The pain is the worst after having a bowel movement. Does anyone have any recomendations????

Comments

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    An unforturnate welcome to you

I'm sorry for the reason you are here and that you are in pain.  I finished treamtment approximately 4.5 years ago and am doing well (I was T1 or 2, N0, M0)   I used Aquaphor ointment and an over the counter,aloe based gel called Natural Care Gel  (made by Bard) that my radiologist recommended.  Stitz bathes or sitting in the tub (especially after a BM) worked for me.  If you use a ointment be sure it is completely off your skin before radiaton treatment.  Going "commando"  or bottomless as much as possible is also recommended and did help me.  

Best wishes & luck,

Tracey

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    rharleyldy

So sorry you have a reason to be here, but I welcome you.  My burning began early in treatment, so I feel your pain.  I was first given Aquaphor, but then my radiation doctor gave me a prescription for Silver Sulfadiazine.  My biggest problem was with frequent diarrhea, there was no effective way to keep either ointment on my skin.  Plus, it had to be completely removed prior to treatment, so when my skin got so burned, getting it off was excruciatingly painful.  I hope someone will chime in here with some suggestions of things that helped them.  Going without panties will help and I found soaking in the tub gave some relief.  I would suggest not using toilet paper.  Instead, get a peri-bottle and keep it filled by the toilet to clean off.  I didn't know about those, so I resorted to keeping a bucket of water by the toilet to dip toilet paper in.  It wasn't nearly as abrasive when it was wet.

I am almost 9 years out of treatment now.  I have forgotten some things (which I guess is a blessing).  I hope knowing that there are long-term survivors out there like myself gives you hope and encouragement.  You will get through this, so hang in there and let the good people on this site know how we can help you.  I send my best wishes to you.

Martha

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Welcome

Welcome to the site, and sorry you have to go thru this. My radiation doctor met with me weekly and he and his nurse were good sources of information. I used aquaphore, later I did domeboro soaks. When the diarrhea got terrible, I used a gentle foaming cleanser specifically made for incontinence and used that with charmin ultra strong toilet paper. PerI bottles worked for some but didnt really work for me. And don't be afraid to use your pain meds, that's what they are there for. Keep us posted on your progress if you can. 

• Kmessier
    Kmessier Member Posts: 79
    rharleydv

I am so sorry that you were diagnosed with anal cancer but I'm glad you found these boards everyone is wonderful and I know it helped me tremendously to come. I was diagnosed 3b and I'm almost finished with treatment. I've resorted to baby wipes not  toilet paper of any kind to clean myself, toilet paper of any kind is too much for me. I use lidocaine and my radiation oncologist prescribed Silvadine cream I alternate between lidocaine fi then Silvadine (burn cream) the next time lidocaine then Pramasone or Analpram it contains hydrocortisone and pramoxine which is a anesthetic not unlike lidocaine my gastroenterologist prescribed it to me it's a prescription and my insurance won't pay for it but it was worth it. Also it helps and I tried the sitz baths but its easier to do like you do just sit in the bathtub in warm water. This may sound gross but for bm's hurting I've mainly had unrelenting diarrhea but sometimes when it's firmer and hurts to pass then I would use the sitz with warm water and have the bm while sitting in the sitz it helped to not make the pain so bad. I was prescribed hydromorphone or dilaudid for pain and at first I tried to not use it but I take it now and I don't worry about it because it's better than being in pain. Also remember though that whatever you put on yourself to always wash it off before radiation treatment if you don't you can burn worse. Around my house most of the time I go commando but I bought over sized mens boxers and wear them if I'm going to have company. I don't know what else to tell you what  I just wrote above is what I found that is working fit. Please keep us updated and your in my thoughts and prayers.

~Kim

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    Sorry you're here

But you're in the right place.  This is most definitely the best place for answers, suggestions and great shoulders to lean on!

I bought 100% cotton polishing cloths that are soft like a vintage tee shirt fabric.  I got them on Amazon for around $6 or so.  A 6 pk of 11"x17".  I used these in the tub to clean off the ointment before each rad tx and then a fresh one to blot dry, then a hairdryer on cool to get completely dry before dressing.

I also bought Chux pads for my bed so I could lay there commando, without worrying about getting the ointment (or anything else) on my sheets.

Because of fecal incontinence I had to wear a pad and then had to switch to Depends, so the men's boxers that I bought didn't get used then, since you really can't use a pad with them.  (I use them now though, two months post tx when I feel like I can go without a pad, so they didn't go to waste)

I spent HOURS in my tub because that was the one place that was comfortable.  My doc only recommended Aquafor...no lidocaine in it.  I wish there had been!  I gobbed that stuff on.  The tiny sample tubes they gave me held only a fraction of what I used each application.  Don't forget to apply it EVERYWHERE...not just anal area.  I had swelling and burns on my butt cheeks and thighs and up in front as well that blistered, then peeled later and the ointment really helped with that.

Take all the pain meds you need and ask your doc if that's not enough.  I also had a Fentanyl patch that I've been on for years for other problems, but my doc more than doubled my dose of that + gave me Oxycodone for breakthrough pain.  I'm back now to my pre-treatment dose, so it was only for a short time that I needed that much pain medication.  I know that others here have also used the patch for pain relief while in treatment even though they'd never used it before.  It's very convenient, you change it every 72 hours, and there's no chance of getting behind in your pain meds which is tough to spring back from.

Stay tough.  I know it's hard, but you'll get through this, and you have a cheering squad here for you.

• LindaBaehr
    LindaBaehr Member Posts: 47
    Hi

I will add to the other good comments that I wore men's boxer briefs because I did (and still do) have to wear pads.  Also, the best wipes are Huggies wipes.  Much softer than wipes marketed for adults.  Just don't flush them!

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160

Hi

I will add to the other good comments that I wore men's boxer briefs because I did (and still do) have to wear pads.  Also, the best wipes are Huggies wipes.  Much softer than wipes marketed for adults.  Just don't flush them!

Wipes

I liked the Huggie's wipes with aloe, but the best ones I had, I got when I was in the hospital.  They were amazing!  Thick, soft and full of lotion.  If I manage to get upstairs later, I'll look for the name of them, because they put the Huggies to shame.  I don't know if you can just buy them, but I had a great nurse who stocked me up when I was discharged.