Nerve Pain

meschellejensen
meschellejensen Member Posts: 117

I am wondering if somebody can comment about nerve pain after surgery and radiation. My BS told me that the nerve pain occurred because they had to cut a main nerve during surgery, as the tumor had invaded the nerve. She said the pain comes as the nerve regrows. The nerve pain started with surgery, stopped about two weeks before the beginning of radiation, and started again after the second week of radiation. My RO told me that radiation awakens nerve pain, but that it would eventually end (no time frame). I am wondering if anybody knows how long the nerve pain typically lasts. I am taking Aleve every twelve hours, and I am planning to try adding Tylenol at night as well. I just cannot fall asleep because every time I roll onto either side (I am a side sleeper) I am instantly awake and in pain. I would appreciate any insight.

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    edited June 2017 #2
    Experience with nerve pain

I was just at my oncologist and surgeon this week - 11 months out of treatment.  I focused on the continued pain that I experience.  The scar tisSue that has developed must be affecting some of the nerves.  Like you, I was told it will eventually go away, and aside from massage and some pain relievers there is not much else to do.

look into a Tens Unit for some relief if you want.  My cousin gave me one - they cost around $100.  Sometimes the gentle pulsing level is soothing.  I also think about pre - cancer aches.  I also try to watch my caffiene level, remembering those younger days when during my cycle that was an issue.

sorry to say, it's a lot of trial and error, but know that your experience is shared by others.

Kathy

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Kathy is right, it is trial and error.

My surgery was March 3 of 2016.  Shortly thereafter, because of the nerve pain, the surgeon put me on gabbepentin (spell)  It has helped so much.  Onc continued with it .  Recently, I was having twinges and sharp stabbing like needles along the scar and thought it was not working.  Then I ran out for 2 days before I could get docs approval for a refill.  I found out, it is helping me more than I knew.  I continue with the massages and the meds.  Dont know how long I will get it, dont know how long I will need to take it, but while I got it, I will take all the help I can get. 

I also have lyphedema, so I mourn the loss of sleeping on my side.  I know sleep on my back with a pillow tucked under ea. arm to elevate.  It has not been easy and still makes me mad to do so.   Some people will sleep in a lazyboy, I tried and did not like that.  Kathy is right, it is trial and error for all of us. 

I hope you find comfort and your pain goes away for you.  Keep talking to your docs, ask them about PT with a qualified breast therapist.  Not all know what they are doing.

Hugs,

Annie

• Willowtree1822
    Willowtree1822 Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2017 #4
    My surgery was may 5th. I had

My surgery was may 5th. I had no idea of what to expect. The nerve pain was terrible. I didn't know it was to be expected. I thought something was wrong. I couldn't move with out burning incredible pain. I have numbness in some areas and still have extreme sensitivity in other areas. it has gotten tolerable for me. 

I haven't started radiation. They say after my 16 chemo treatments. I'll do 6 weeks of radiation.

I have slept in recliner and that helped when it was really bad. Sleep is very hard to get when you can't lay on your side at all. Pillows propped under arm, and behind your back so you can lean a little towards your side, might help. 

Hope it eases up for you!