Any Stage II Ovarian Cancer Survivors?

mlciavola
mlciavola Member Posts: 4

Hi - I am brand new to this discussion board. My mom was diagnosed with Stage 2C ovarian cancer a week ago.  Ironically, she had a hysterectomy (including removal of her ovaries) 11 years ago. However, because it was done laproscopically, apparently there were some ovarian cells left behind.  She is in complete shock and, quite frankly, the survival stats you find online are not exactly encouraging.  There was an old thread on this board (2009-2011) that asked if there were any Stage II ovarian cancer survivors out there. I'm posting the same request now, 6 years later, hoping to connect with anyone else who is/was a stage 2, to see how they are doing and if they have had any reoccurrances.  Just looking for a little hope.

Comments

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Miciavola~There's plenty of HOPE here~glad U wrote!

Good morning “Miciavola”

You are one smart person to start a new topic instead of posting under the 2011 link.  This way all the information that you receive will be tailored to your mom’s cancer.  There are survivors here from many stages of Ovarian Cancer.  You didn’t ask if there were any “Stage IV Ovarian Cancer” patients OUT HERE but here I am, and there are others.  I was diagnosed with a Stage IV cancer the first time around.  I had no particular symptoms.  And yes, frankly, the stats are not so good, because there are no specific tests for Ovarian cancer that catches it in the earliest of stages.  That’s the problem.  But there are specific treatments for each stage. 

You say, “apparently” some ovarian cells were left behind when your mom had her laparoscopic surgery.  You will be interested to know that there are women here who had a complete hysterectomy years ago, and still were diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer.  I didn’t always know that this was possible but the Mayo Clinic link verifies it.  So it’s possible that every single bit of your mom’s ovaries were removed, but because of previous cell migration, these could have been dormant for a time and then became cancerous.  So the fact that mom had a laparoscopic surgery was probably not a factor at all. 

My first diagnosis was Peritoneal Carcinomatosis, (CT scan result) and already a Stage IV diagnosis back in 2012.  But my SECOND opinion that included a PET/CT and exploratory surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center revealed that cancer was in both my ovaries as well. Cells that line the ovaries can also migrate elsewhere, lie dormant for an indeterminate period of time, and later become cancerous long after the ovaries themselves have been removed. 

So I won’t dwell on my cancer, since it is not the same as your mom’s.  She has an earlier stage, and there will be other STAGE II Ovarian cancer patients who may come along after my post here.  They will be able to share what their treatments have involved.  My road hasn’t been easy, but by the grace of God, I am still alive and “in between treatments, surgeries and radiation” am enjoying a great quality of life.  Believe it or not, one can have peace in their soul despite having Ovarian cancer in their body.  I am happy to be alive, and know of many others suffering with other types of cancer that I wouldn’t want to be diagnosed with.  Like I say, I can still see, hear, touch, taste and smell.  Now I’m a bit “fatigued” as are all chemo patients, but side effects often remain after a successful treatment.  The goal for me as a Stage IV is to have longer periods of “progression free survival”, even though no cure is possible.  So for right now, I’m okay, even though my cancer is never going to be “in remission” completely.  However, so far I’m able to cope with them, and life is worth living. 

Wishing for your mom every success in her treatments and that she will never progress beyond Stage II.

Love Loretta

1.  http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ovarian-cancer/expert-answers/ovarian-cancer/faq-20057780

“Is ovarian cancer still possible after a hysterectomy?

Answers from Yvonne Butler Tobah, M.D.

Yes, you still have a risk of ovarian cancer or a type of cancer that acts just like it (primary peritoneal cancer) if you've had a hysterectomy.

Your risk depends on the type of hysterectomy you had:

• Partial hysterectomy or total hysterectomy. A partial hysterectomy removes your uterus, and a total hysterectomy removes your uterus and your cervix. Both procedures leave your ovaries intact, so you can still develop ovarian cancer.

• Total hysterectomy with salpingo-oophorectomy. This procedure removes your cervix and uterus as well as both ovaries and fallopian tubes. This makes ovarian cancer less likely to occur, but it does not remove all risk.

You still have a small risk of what's called primary peritoneal cancer. The peritoneum is a covering that lines the abdominal organs, and is close to the ovaries. Since the peritoneum and ovaries arise from the same tissues during embryonic development, it's possible that cancer could result from the cells of the peritoneum.

Currently, there are no effective screening tests for ovarian cancer in women with an average risk of the disease. If you're concerned about your risk, discuss your options with your doctor.

With

Yvonne Butler Tobah, M.D.”

2.  https://www.oncolink.org/cancers/gynecologic/ovarian-cancer

Ovarian Cancer - Information about ovarian and primary peritoneal cancers.

3.  Ovarian Cancer: The Basics - Basic information about ovarian cancer, its diagnosis and treatment. 

4.  All About Ovarian Cancer - Information about ovarian cancer, its diagnosis and treatment

5.  Treatment OptionsSupport and Resources - Supportive resources for women with ovarian cancer

6.  http://news.cancerconnect.com/types-of-cancer/ovarian-cancer/

Note the different topics on the left hand side of this page.  This link provides a wealth of information.

7.  http://news.cancerconnect.com/newly-diagnosed-with-ovarian-cancer-10-must-read-tips-to-be-an-empowered-patient/

NEWLY DIAGNOSED WITH OVARIAN CANCER?

10 MUST READ TIPS TO BE AN EMPOWERED PATIENT

For many years ovarian cancer has been referred to as “the silent killer” due to its vague, ignored, or misdiagnosed symp­toms. Because of this and the lack of ear­ly-detection tools, ovarian cancer often goes undiagnosed until it has reached the later stages, when it is harder to treat. Information and support and are key to being an empowered patient and optimizing your treatment outcomes. The following tips will help you navigate a new diagnosis, understand your treatment options and be your own advocate. Have other tips to share? Join the conversation on CancerConnect here…”

8.  http://news.cancerconnect.com/types-of-cancer/ovarian-cancer/stage-ii-ovarian-cancer/

“Overview

Patients diagnosed with stage II ovarian cancer have cancer that is limited to the ovaries and other pelvic organs, but has not spread to the upper abdomen, lymph nodes or sites outside the abdomen. The following is a general overview of the diagnosis and treatment of ovarian cancer. Each person with ovarian cancer is different, and the specific characteristics of your condition will determine how it is managed. The information on this Web site is intended to help educate you about treatment options and to facilitate a shared decision-making process with your treating physician…

Currently, the standard treatment for stage II ovarian cancer consists of both surgery and chemotherapy. Patients with stage II ovarian cancer may experience a range of outcomes following standard treatment. Patients with stage IIA disease experience cancer recurrence rates of 30-40%. However, 60-80% of patients with more advanced stage IIB disease may develop cancer recurrence. This is because patients with stage II ovarian cancer are often left with microscopic disease and currently available chemotherapy is unable to eradicate all of the remaining cancer.

Surgical Cytoreduction

Surgical cytoreduction (also called debulking) refers to surgical removal of as much of the cancer as possible. Cytoreduction is beneficial because it reduces the number of cancer cells that ultimately need to be destroyed by chemotherapy and therefore, decreases the likelihood of the cancer developing a resistance to chemotherapy. Initial cytoreductive surgery in ovarian cancer is currently considered the standard of care because clinical studies have shown that patients who have had optimal cytoreduction live longer and have a longer time to cancer recurrence than patients who have had suboptimal cytoreduction.

Following cytoreductive surgery, all patients with stage II ovarian cancer are offered additional treatment. This is because many patients with stage II disease have small amounts of cancer that have spread outside the ovary and were not removed by surgery. An effective treatment is needed to eliminate the remaining cancer in order to improve the cure rate achieved with surgical removal of the cancer. Currently, this treatment is chemotherapy…”

_________________End of references_____________

• bluesmama
    bluesmama Member Posts: 125 Member
    A different case

Hey there. I'm not a straight forward stage 2b. I say not straight forward because I was diagnosed with a uterine cancer 2.5 years ago and the doctors aren't sure if this second bout is a recurrence or a new cancer. If it's a recurrence then the staging remains the original Stage 1A. If it's a new cancer, then it would be around a 2B. Either way, I had a low grade endometrioid adenocarcinoma with endometriosis on the ovary and atypical complex hyperplasia in the uterus. And they believe both cancers arose from generally benign conditions that sometimes turn into cancer. Having said that, I did have a hysterectomy but left one ovary behind two years ago. The last ovary ended up having cancer two years later. I had a da vinci laproscopic surgery the first time and recovered quickly. I had an open pelvic surgery the second time. Part of my sigmoid colon was removed (about 6 inches) along with my remaining ovary and tumor. I had 28 rounds of radiation with cisplatin (twice) then 4 more rounds of carboplatin-taxol. My surgery was back in October and I finished treatment at the end of March. My CT scan results soon after and CA-125 were clear. My next scan and blood test are in September. I wouldn't focus on the statistics as much as focusing on helping your mother get through treatment and recover so she can get back to living her life. At a certain point, you learn to move on and live with cancer. Let me know if you have any questions!

• kathryn1
    kathryn1 Member Posts: 88
    Still here

Hi,

I was on the old thread, 2C, diagnosed July 30, 2009.  Remember the statistics online include all ages, lifestyles ect... everyone is grouped together. I'm doing fine and have had no reoccurances. There's always hope!! I wish your Mom the best outcome!! 

Kathryn

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Kathryn~U R STILL HERE--8 Yrs. & no recurrence-Wonderful 2 hear!

Hi Kathryn

We haven’t met before but what sweeter words to hear than “STILL HERE”.  That gives encouragement to all of us who hope we can say 8 years later, “Still here!”  Just this past Friday, I attended the memorial services for a classmate of mine.  We both graduated in 1957 A.D.  That seems so long ago now.  But I met another fellow classmate that knows I have cancer.  He said to me, “Loretta, you look better than the last time I saw you!”  I said laughingly, “So I guess we would say, “cancer is doing me good—right?”  And I had another compliment from my gynecologist that I had an appointment with this past Tuesday.  He was surprised to find me "still here" since my Stage IV diagnosis back in November of 2012.  He has been my gyn for over 30 years.  I said, “I know you’re surprised to see me!”  He agreed, smiled and said, “You look great.  You’re not ‘all withered up!”  We both laughed.

Well this morning, as I looked in my mirror after exiting the shower, I thought about those kind remarks.  It’s a good thing I don’t have a “talking mirror” because I can see “all of me” in it.   Surprised As I was drying off, I had to laugh.  And I “hollered” to my husband, (we in the South holler”), “Hey you know what I should have said in reply to those comments?  I should have said, “Well thank you.  The secret is that since I've been a cancer patient, I use “Vaseline INTENSIVE CARE!” Laughing

But my biggest non-secret is that I serve a God Who is in the “Intensive Care Business” and He says, “I’ve got to put a few more ‘finishing touches’ on you Loretta.  You’re not quite ready for prime time." 

So Kathryn, you're an inspiration, and I thank God that you and I are both—STILL HERE!

Loretta (now age 78 and now adding "1/2" to my age" instead of groaning about how old I am!

Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer Stage IV, DX 11-’12—

1.      Neoadjuvant 6-session chemo Carboplatin/Paclitaxel (Taxol)—

2.      Cytoreductive Surgery (CRS) July 1, 2013—

3.      Targeted radiation on 3 cancerous nodes on Caudate lobe of Liver in 2014—

4.      Another 6-treatment regimen of same chemo in 2015—

5.      Another chemo session (same combo) in 2016 which ended January 19, 2017.

Once again in God’s “waiting room” as my CA-125 count rises yet again. 

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited July 2017 #6
    Loretta,

what a privilege it is to " know" you, despite the circumstances. Thank you for everything you do for all those on these boards. 

• mlciavola
    edited July 2017 #7
    kathryn1 said:

Still here

Hi,

I was on the old thread, 2C, diagnosed July 30, 2009.  Remember the statistics online include all ages, lifestyles ect... everyone is grouped together. I'm doing fine and have had no reoccurances. There's always hope!! I wish your Mom the best outcome!! 

Kathryn

Wow, Kathryn -- thank you for

Wow, Kathryn -- thank you for responding.  So glad to hear that you doing well. I'm encouraged by your journey. :)

• mlciavola
    ConnieSW said:

Loretta,

what a privilege it is to " know" you, despite the circumstances. Thank you for everything you do for all those on these boards. 

I agree!  Loretta you are a

I agree!  Loretta you are a true inspiration and such a support for everyone here. :)