Finish line in sight

Options
frokker68
frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
edited June 2017 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Well. Here I am on my last week of treatment. I finished chemo last week and I have 4 rads to go this week. Its not been without many ups and downs. Almost to the point where I didn't think I had it in me to finish.  I want to thank everyone that replied to my posts with words of encouragement. I don't think that I could have done it without this forum and it's members.  

I have to say that this has been the toughest thing I have had to do in my life.  How some of you did this without a PEG tube is beyond me.  That thing has kept me alive since about week 2.  And I'm sure ill need it for the foreseeable future.   My throat pain has been the worse. And even though it hurt like hell, I kept swallowing as often as I could. Even tiny sips of water.  (Thanks civilmatt)    

As I roll into the recovery phase I want to thank you all again!  Hopefully I can help those that come after me like I was helped.  You all are the best.  Thank you!!

Keith

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    Keith the man!

Keith,

Fantastic report!

We each face a painful headwind without knowing which side effects will blow the heck out of us.  You have had your share of these side effects.

I am happy that you kept swallowing often (it will be repaid a hundred fold).

I can just about guarantee, unequivocally that you will start to see and feel improvements soon.

Matt

• Bob Watt
    Bob Watt Member Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Onwards and Upwards Keith

After I rejected the nasal feeding tube just shortly after finising my treatment, swallowing became my biggest enemy. However, 9 weeks later I'm able to eat plate sized meals without too much bother (slight throat pain, and lack of saliva). There is a light at the end of the tunnel, it's how fast you reach it is up to the individual. A big thumbs up to the end of your treatment. All the best during your recovery stage.

• soonermom
    soonermom Member Posts: 155
    Options
    You will get there

You have done so much of the work to slay the beast.  So happy for you! 

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Keep Digging

Keep on digging. The finish line is near. You have your foot on the throat of the beast. Don't let up now!

Congratulations.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    Right behind us!

Youre almost there!  My husband rings the bell tomorrow!  It wasn't easy, but you did what you had to do!  Best of luck in the recovery phase. 

• m_Lundin
    m_Lundin Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017 #7
    Options
    You're there Keith

It's a great feeling when you get off the table from your last rad! Let the healing and recovery begin. Stay strong!