Cancer again?

MChid
MChid Member Posts: 2

I was diagnosed with bc in 2007, at the age of 29. Made it through now here I am again my Dr thinks I am in for another round. Things just seem so different first I had bi-lateral with no reconstructive and because I have the cancer gene and others in my family that also had the gene wound up with ovarian cancer they decided to do a complete historectomy also. I did all of this because I was so young and because I have young children the youngest was two when I was diagnosed. I remember going to so many different test before I seen surgeon or onc that I thought they were never going to start the treatment in fact it took about 2 1/2 months from diagnosis to first treatment (I was stage III). This time I feel like things are going very different and I just want to know if because things have changed so much in the last 10 years. First I went to Dr. this past Monday for a rash (on radiation site) he ordered Ct scan which I had on Wednesday. I got a call bright and early Thursday morning stating the Dr wanted pet scan, surgical consult, and oncology consult done within the next 2 days we'll I did the pet scan Friday and have both consultations scheduled for Monday. Is this the normal pace? I haven't even done a biopsy yet.

Comments

• Mariangel43
    Mariangel43 Member Posts: 79
    Normal pace

I can only talk from my experience.  I was diagnosed on April 28 and got my pathology result on third week of May. Since that surgeon had a very big ego and lack of consideration and compassion, I changed physician.  The BS as soon as he saw me put me on hormone therapy and performed a modified mx.  By the same time I went to the oncologist.  I was reading about tx and asked for oral chemo that he didn't accept.  Two onth after TE surgery, I was sent to RO and I didn't like her or her procedure, so I went to see a second opinion.  That was along a three-month period.  

I can only speculate on your case.  Maybe he saw something in the scan.  You didn't say if you had a breast conserving surgery or a mastectomy, neither you said the type of cancer you first have.  I hope everything is alright by now.  Take care,

Maria

• MChid
    MChid Member Posts: 2
    Sorry not clear

I had bi-lateral mastectomy, It was stage III IDC but I think they are thinking IBC this time. Scary because they said they seen masses on lungs, liver, spleen, and thyroid as well as skin leasion at the radiation site. I think the scariest part is I have 13 year old autistic son and I am single mom with father totally out of the picture. 

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Mchid

Yes, it sounds like the normal pace to me. With me, they moved very quickly. 

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    prayers and hugs

Prayers and success for a good report for all....

Beepositive

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    thinking of you

Keeping you in my prayers for better news and outcomes.

Hugs,

Annie

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Quick start

I was diagnosed toward the end of June and began chemo by July 20th.  I suppose everything depends on the ability of your team to meet to discuss your plan and how quickly they feel you can begin treatment.  My tumor had tethered itself to the pectoral muscle, so they wanted to see if it would pull away with chemo before surgery.  Once done with chemo it seemed to take forever (4 months) to finally get to surgery.

i feel getting started right away has several advantages - some might keep swaying back and forth about treatment, especially when all of the " advice" starts from people who think they know what you are facing.  Early intervention works in so many areas, medicine, education, etc,) . The sooner you start, the sooner you are winning!

Best wishes for the beginning of treatment!

kathy

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    I think it may depend on what they found on the pet scan

when I was rediagnosed, they first did radiation for the pain in the spine, tailbone, hips and pelvic region.  Each doctor has their own ways of treating it.  Then I started on hormone blocker which I had a reaction to, same one as

I had the reaction to 8 years prior.  Had second opinion at  its of Hope. Their suggestion was identical so I went with it.  They did no sirgery. But did do Bone Marrow Biopsy Which was positive 2 be time around.   Then while on chemo it went into liver. I thought oh no. Changed chemo and have not had another lesion in my liver.  Have had them everywhere else.

Remember when you are getting info on these boards that what they do for one is not the same asanother with the same dx. My sister and I had the same dx.  I had a mastectomy and chemo. She had a lumpectomy and rads.  She had hers in Northern  CA with second opinion in San Francisco.  Asked for more tests and hormone blockers. They did the hormone blockers but that on o saw no reason for more testing.  Now she has never onco that specializes in BC and she is doing more.  

I have learned in the 15 years that I have been doing this, the internet  based on statistics we have no idea if they have other medical issues that may contribute.  I have been stage IV for 7 years and onco gave me 3-6 months when it came back, based on statistics.  

Make a list of all of your questions for tomorrow.  They will have the results from your tests and their answers will be based on your tests.

i wish you the best.

Carol

• ChwaraeTeg
    ChwaraeTeg Member Posts: 10
    I'm so sorry! My husband has

I'm so sorry! My husband has recurrent BC. This (second) time around, lump found (by him, onc missed it) end of Jan, testing--biopsy, Pet scan--done in early Feb, then a trip east to Dana Farber in early March, then negotiations to start on experimiental drug without being in a study, and finally started 2nd round chemo in April. Depends on so much!

Agree so much with making a list of questions.

I hope things work out and the best of luck.

CT

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    edited June 2017 #10
    Pixie dust 

Pixie dust