How to research "soft tissue lesion?"

Options
oldbeauty
oldbeauty Member Posts: 366 Member

I apologize for infringing on those who I know have posted about soft tissue masses but it is hard to locate the past postings on this subject when they are imbedded in other subject matter posts.

My recent CT scan showed that the lung nodules that prompted chemo continue to shrink/disappear.  And there is no evidence of spread in the lungs or other organs.  However, this latest radiologist picked up the following: Findings: "There is a 1.7 x 1.3 cm soft tissue lesion in the right adnexal region [where the ovaries and tubes used to be].  A small soft tissue focus in this location was barely discernible on previous study from 4/10/17, when it measured 1.2 cm [kinda CYA lingo because previous study stated flatly "no right adnexal masses.  And this one went looking for it and found it!]  On the 11/18/17 study, a small soft tissue focus was also present in the right adnexal region measuring approximately 1.2.cm.  No left adnexal mass appreciated.  No enlarged pelvic lymph nodes. No free pelvic fluid."  Impression: ..."a growing soft tissue abnormality in the right adnexal region is concerning for recurrent neoplasm."

I had my right ovary/tube removed in 1997 and I reviewed the surgical report and there is no mention of adhered tissue that was left behind.  I had a total hysterectomy in 2005 and the only surgical report mention of residual tube tissue left behind purposely because it looked OK was a piece of left side fallopian tube that was adhered to the bowel.  Since then, there's never been any radiological mention of a left adnexal mass.

So researching the term I see that "soft tissue" and "adnexal" refers to connective tissue, ligaments, muscle, blood vessels in the area around the uterus.  This report report doesn't mention any actual connection to/around any organ or adjacent structures.  What's odd is IF the nodules in my lungs were/are metastatic endometrial cancer (they were too small to biopsy) and are responding to the drugs specifically intended for endometrial cancer, why is there growth of something that is right in the region where the cancer originally started where you might expect a recurence.  Similarly, if the nodules in my lungs were somehow a new primary, why are they apparently responding to drugs for endometrial cancer?  I know it's too early to get overly anxious but I don't find much on the internet about "soft tissue lesions" that is informative.  The plan is to continue chemo until August 2, when I will have had 12 cycles of drugs alone and in combination, whith 6 straight treatments of both carboplatin/taxo together and then I will have a PET/CT in September.  I do feel firmly that I want a biopsy before we go any further in treatment with this new issue.

If any of the ladies with soft tissue masses that either were treated or watched, I would appreciate your kindness in repeating your story in this thread.  Thank you in advance.  Oldbeauty.

Comments

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    edited June 2017 #2
    Options
    PubMed

Hi Oldbeauty, have you tried searching within the PubMed site? I find it pretty useful for researching studies. Some of the studies it lists are available for free and some are behind a payment wall but at least you can see an abstract before you decide whether to pay. Here is a link to that site: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ 

• oldbeauty
    Options
    Kvdyson said:

PubMed

Hi Oldbeauty, have you tried searching within the PubMed site? I find it pretty useful for researching studies. Some of the studies it lists are available for free and some are behind a payment wall but at least you can see an abstract before you decide whether to pay. Here is a link to that site: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ 

Thanks for the tip

I spent some time on the PubMed site.  I think my limiting factor is that I don't have enough info yet.  Soft tissue masses seems to be a huge topic and there are so many kinds.  I know the big deal is to differentiate between a benign growth and a sarcoma.  I'm too early in the diagnostic progress.  Thanks for the heads up; I will revisit the site as time goes on.  Oldbeauty

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Where do I start?

OldBeauty,

Unfortunately, welcome to my world.   I have been dealing with soft tissue (PET positive) masses for about 5 years now.  It is very annoying.  My left ureter also passed through it.   And in December 2015, I had a ureter reimplantment surgery because of a blockage where the ureter and bladder meet, but they had to cut the ureter at the mass because of all of the adhesions.

Here is what my mass was back in June of 2016:

Mesentery and retroperitoneum: There has been no significant interval 
    change in a left pelvic soft tissue mass centered in the left perirectal 
    region, with abutment of the rectosigmoid junction and vaginal cuff. The 
    lesion demonstrates persistent low level uptake (Max SUV 2.2 previously 
    2.1) and measures approximately 5.4 x 2.2 cm in the axial plane, 
    previously 5.3 x 2.1 cm measured at the same level. Postsurgical changes 
    of ventral hernia repair with a mesh.

And here is the result from my CT scan today:

6/27/2017 CT chest

IMPRESSION:

1.  No suspicious pulmonary nodule or mass.  No thoracic lymphadenopathy

2.  Indeterminate 1 cm left breast nodule appears stable since the prior
    PET/CT.  While this probably represents normal breast parenchyma,
    recommend further evaluation with mammography.

6/27/17 CT abd/pelvis

IMPRESSION:

BORDERLINE-ENLARGED RIGHT COMMON ILIAC CHAIN LYMPH NODE IS NEW.

NEW LEFT PELVIC SOFT TISSUE NODULE AND PROGRESSIVE ILL-DEFINED SOFT
    TISSUE IN THE LEFT PELVIS ADHERENT TO THE LEFT RECTAL WALL, POSTERIOR
    BLADDER, AND VAGINAL CUFF.

But my doctor said nothing to worry about. Which by the way I am not happy about because I have been in continued pain for the past 3 months and have been taking motrin/tyenol regularly now. The last time I had to do that was when I had a recurrence.

If you ever want to talk, email me.

My best to you,

Kathy
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Hi Oldbeauty:

Hi Oldbeauty:

I did reply but for some reason its under review.  I have several soft tissue masses .  One is 5.2 cm by 2.2 cm.   and it is low PET positive.   I had part of it biopsied and that part was negative.  I've been on a wait and see approach since then.

• oldbeauty
    Options
    Kaleena said:

Hi Oldbeauty:

Hi Oldbeauty:

I did reply but for some reason its under review.  I have several soft tissue masses .  One is 5.2 cm by 2.2 cm.   and it is low PET positive.   I had part of it biopsied and that part was negative.  I've been on a wait and see approach since then.

Thanks, Kaleena

I was hoping to hear from you.  I hope your previous reply is posted.  I am interested in what you have to say. Oldbeauty