New to site-Possible Uterine Cancer Questions for Members

Options

Hi everyone, I am happy I found this site. I am still in the diagnostic stages to determine if I have any cancer of the uterus, but it has been a long few months and would love your advice! I am 46, I think still premenopausal, though could be fully (was always bad at keeping track), and though my last pap smear was normal, an ultrasound initially showed a thick lining of about 9mm.  Just had a follow up one today and now it is at 14mm.  I know this is not good, but the biopsy two weeks ago was inconclusive, not enough tissue to diagnose, but what was collected was said to be benign.  So, I know it's what everyone asks, but I am seriously concerned, and would love any advice.  I am overweight, though losing, and trying to be as strict with a superfood diet as I can be, haven't had a period in what felt like over a year, though I did have two episodes of light spotting for a couple of days about a month apart in March and April.  So, given that I haven't bled since then (I know a lot of people with uterine cancer report heavy bleeding), have no pain, and really only the thickening of the lining as a concern for now, what do you think?  I know I may just be jumping the gun, as I will be doing the D&C so they can get a better picture, but it has so derailed my ability to think clearly, do my job well and not worry. 

Thanks so much for any advice!

DJ

Comments

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Glad you found this site.

There are a lot of stores on this site of how women found out they had cancer, and some that found that they did not have it.  Do not let it get ahead of you. Try not to do the what if game.  I know it can be scary and you worry, we all have at one point.  Hopefully after the D&C you will get more answers.  If it does come back as cancer cells are present, find a good oncologist gynecologist dr to do any futher surgeries that you may need.  A regualr gyn dr may not know what to look for and sometimes I have read that they did not take lymph nodes or other organs out and a person had to have a second surgery to remove those.

I was 55 when I was diagnosed.  Post menapoausal. No periods for years.  Started heavy bleeding in March 2011, Had a D&C done towards end of March and found out the pathology report 1 April that cancer cells were present.  8 April had total abdominal hysterectomy with all femal parts removed with 12 lymph nodes.  Found a tumor in the uterus and 2 microscopic cells in 1 lymph node.  Everything else was clear.  High grade cancer, Stage 3C1 carcinoma sarcoma (aka MMMT).  I had six rounds of carbo / taxol chemo treatments with no radiation.  I celebrate six year clear in August this year.  It is doable. You can survive even if it is cancer.

Wishing you all the best and praying for you.  One day at a time.  Be your own advocate, make a list of questions, ask the questions, take someone with you to also write down the answers.  It helps to have someone else with you.  My sister and daughter were with me each time I went to the dr to ask questions and get answers.  The ladies on the site are great.  They can answer your questions, and offer support.    trish

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    DJ, my advice is not to get

DJ, my advice is not to get too far ahead of yourself.  I think the D&C will give you answers and that is the best way to go.  I hope it is nothing and there is nothing you can do right now.  Seriously, try not to worry until you find out what is going on.  

• poetpea
    poetpea Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for this

Thank you so much for this advice. I know it's insane how doctors make us and the internet is even worse, except for sites like this.  So much gratitude to you!

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Options
    I agree with what the others

I agree with what the others have advised - take this a day at a time. Try to stay hopeful and busy with doing whatever it is that you love. If this ends up being your diagnosis then you might start by getting a good medical team around you. Trust them to help guide you. You are not alone.

Good luck to you and let us know what you find out. Kim

• Cass83
    Cass83 Member Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    What they said

I agree with all the above. We hope and pray for you that all is clear, but if it turns out differently, we are here for you too. Until you hear differently, stay positive that all is well. :)