What is long term results of Diep flap breast reconstruction

Options
Lilduckie76
Lilduckie76 Member Posts: 3
edited June 2017 in Breast Cancer #1

I just have been diagnosed with breast cancer and for sure want a bmx but want to know about long term results of having Diep reconstruction. I know the procedure is fairly new and I have not been able to see what they look like years later. Is there anyone who have them for 5 +years and is still happy with the results? Are there any complications years later like implants? Or recurrence of cancer?

Thanks!

Comments

• cati0314
    cati0314 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    I had diep flap surgery in

I had diep flap surgery in 2010 some time after my bilateral in May. It was a huge surgery. Made it through fine. Had to have several revisions regarding the "good side" gaining too much tissue and the radiated side being tighter. I had implants put in and was ok for awhile. Being3ESvk 56 at the time my breasts began to hang like a 56 yr old. Dr said the older women don't have as much collagen as the younger ones. Don't know if I'd do it again knowing you have various corective surgeries for your life if you want that tight young look for the rest of your life.  Good luck!

• lintx
    lintx Member Posts: 697
    edited June 2017 #3
    Options
    I had diep flap 5 yrs ago

I had a bilateral w/immediate reconstruction.  I agree that it is a big surgery but doable.  If you gain/lose weight, so do the new breasts.  I have had great results. No hanging, etc. I'd do it again. No one is exempt from recurrence, however. 

• Elaine_wi
    Elaine_wi Member Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Breast Cancer Mentor

I am going to have DIEP flap reconstruction after I am done with radiation. After I was diagnosed I was connected with mentors through the ABCD (after breast cancer diagnosos) Organization. I spoke with women who had been through reconstruction. This was very helpful to me.

DIEP flap has been around for many years. My plastic surgeon has done over 1,100 of them. It is important to find a plastic surgeon who has the dedication and training to do the microvascular surgery.

• KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Options
    I had a diep flap reconstruction 6 years ago in 2011

I had a diep flap reconstruction 6 years ago in 2011.

I have had no reaccurance of cancer yet.  I do not expect any complacations for the rest of my life.   The 'boob' is me, all me.   It was expensive even with insurance.  I have no feeling whatsoever in the 'boob'.   I do have feeling in the chest wall underneath the 'boob'.   It is tender and can feel bruised if a lot of pressure is put on my chest.  I can not lie on my stomach for that same reason.  It is not as comfortable to sleep on the side with the DIEP boob, as it will feel 'pinched' next to the arm, because it pulls a little on the chest wall, which I do feel.   In cooler rooms or cooler weather, my 'boob' will feel cold, I believe it is because the circulation in it is different than the real boob.   My diep boob will likely always retain it's shape and not sag.  My other boob did sag, and I had to have a breast lift on the sagging real boob... to match.   

My DIEP and corresponding lift on the other side did not give me perfectly looking boobs.   At my age now, it kind of doesn't matter, as I don't run around nude, LOL.   From all of my tank tops, it looks like I have real boobs.   Overall, the size of both boobs in nearly the same, a normal bra fits both.

I just hope I never get cancer in the other real boob, as I don't know if I'd want to bear the expense of another reconstruction.   

The HAPPY part I have about having the DIEP flap transer, is that for each day of my life, my reconstructed boob just feels like the real me.  All the things I've mentioned are just small quirks.

When I was trying to decide, 7 years ago, as to what kind of reconstruction, I had been told by several plastic surgeons that it would have been difficult to match the size of my chest wall with a normal insert.. the largest might not have fit.   I am a tall women, so my chest size width needed an extra large.  Hence, they said a DIEP would match better.

• Lilduckie76
    Lilduckie76 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2017 #6
    Options
    Thanks for your all your

Thanks for your all your comments.