Anemia after a year of treatment

Options

Hi my partner has been diagnosed of stage 2a colon cancer last Sept 2015. After hving oral chemo(Xelodda) last year 2016. Her ct scan and CEA shows no sign of cancer. But this last April 2017 her CBC result shows low hemoglobin level 111, after a month we have it checked again and still it is low 108  together with hematocrit and RBc. her onco Told us to have her fecal occult blood test checked. He said that If it is negative you do not need to go back to me. Just continue with the iron supplements and go back on November. although the FOBT result is negative, and the CEA last April shows normal. i am still afraid what would be the cause of anemia. Does anyone of you has the same experience as my partner does? i ask her to go to the onco as soon as possiblr but ahe said that we should wait for the iron supplement to work first  and have her cbc checked after a month. Do we need to go back to her onco or ahould we just wait dir the iron aupplement to work. Please guide or help us.My partner has a very positive attitude and i am the one who overthinks about her health condition. I now suffer from GERD of unknown cause for over 6 months maybe because of overthinking, maybe i am just afraid to lose her. Shes my soulmate. Hope you could help me with my questions. Thanks a lot

Comments

• ThomasH
    ThomasH Member Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It can take a while for iron supplements to kick in

After my chemo I had problems with my hemoglobin also. My Onc didn't really have much to say about it, but my family Dr put me on iron supplements. I'm still taking them a couple times per day and have been for the last 3-4 months. I've had a really good response with that so far. If your partner isn't seeing any change with her levels after a couple months you might want to talk to someone about it, but my Dr told me that it takes time to rebuild iron reserves, so it does require a little patience. I know that is one of the hardest things in the world when Cancer is involved.

Your partner is lucky to have such a caring soul to look after her. Good luck to you both!

Thomas