Port

Options
HapB
HapB Member Posts: 527

Well, I had the port put in today. It was a long, long day and it really hurts. I left there feeling drunk from all the meds they gave me in the iv drip. It hurts and feels like it is sitting right on my collar bone. 

Tomorrow chemo, so i have to take steroids in a while  I don't like putting meds like this into my body. I am already exhausted.  I have to get strong phyiscally. It sure has been a whirlwind! 

They tell me I cannot shower until Sunday, but by God, I am going to find a way! 

Comments

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2017 #2
    Options
    I was wondering how or went today

Sorry, that it didn't go so great today. Hopefully wth since rest, you'll feel better tomorrow. 

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    Options
    HapB

I am praying for an easy day for you tomorrow as you begin chemo.

• HapB
    Options
    Thanks mesch and nspired

Time to fight like a girl

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Port did not hurt.

My port implant did not hurt.   It was done by my Surgeon in the hospital OR the day before I started neoadjuvant DD A/C..

I woke up in OR in time to see my Surgeon walking out the door.   (I'm hardtokeep 'knocked out") . I did not get sent to Recovery but straight to Discharge.  Dr had gone up and talked to Hubby and told him I'd probably be a couple of hours so to go and feed the horses.  Wrong!  He hadn't got out of the parking lot before he was told to come back and pick me up.   Dr had given Hubby a 'script for Oxy and Hubby insisted we had to get it filled so we did.  Took one after we got bome to appease him but when he woke me up about midnigbt telling me to take another one, I all but. Cold Cocked him.I

I did get out of doing all barn chores for 2 weeks as that's what Surgeon told him.  That weekend I was back riding and giving lessons.

I don't remember being told no showers but then I'm a 'tubby'.  Also I had no external sutures - just surgical glue and 2 butterflies.  Had surgical glue for my UMX too.

Winyan - The Power Within

• HapB
    edited June 2017 #6
    Options
    Raque

wow, very different from my experience. I woke up in the recovery room. It is packed with 2 balls of gauzemwoth tape over it. The thing feels like it is right on my collar bone and it is pressing on it. They gave me no,pain meds, now would I take one. i don't like those things!  I can tell you that it looks pretty gruesome around the edgesmof the tape. Imam going to the hospital tomorrow, so I will stick it out. It hurts to even move! Ugh. 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    port

Hap, I felt like that too.  Like right on the collar bone.  It is the inflamation and it will go down.  That stitch on outside will come out on it's own.  I felt sore for a few days in that area.  The accessed mine I think 2 days later.  I was freaked about it for a month or two.  Now it just feels like a part of me.  Sometimes when they put meds in it, I can feel it going up into my neck and sometimes a littel sting around it.  but it all goes away. 

I have little dogs and so I am cautious of their little paws around it.  Yep, you gotta fight like a girl. 

Hugs,

Annie

• HapB
    Options
    Question about port

Just got home from first infusion. I feel pretty good, but the port is now bleeding through the gauze about the size of a quarter. Is this normal?  Thanks. this port sure got a lot of use today.

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited June 2017 #9
    Options
    bleed

yah, sometimes mine bleeds, sometimes it dont.  what is not normal is if it continues to bleed. 

• HapB
    edited June 2017 #10
    Options
    Apaugh said:

bleed

yah, sometimes mine bleeds, sometimes it dont.  what is not normal is if it continues to bleed. 

Apaugh

it seems to have stopped. I will take off the gauze later tonight. We'll see.

• bonbondidit
    bonbondidit Member Posts: 116
    Options
    HapB said:

Question about port

Just got home from first infusion. I feel pretty good, but the port is now bleeding through the gauze about the size of a quarter. Is this normal?  Thanks. this port sure got a lot of use today.

First infusion

Congrats on your first round down. Big step. I remember it well.  How many do you have to do? I did about 21 rounds of a/c/t and 46 rounds of radiation. My port however was in my forearm.  I'm a stage 3 a , double mast. Surgery was  Aug.5, 2014. Take one day at a time and remember it's ok to still laugh at funny things and be around positive people.

Hugs,

Bonnie

• HapB
    Options

First infusion

Congrats on your first round down. Big step. I remember it well.  How many do you have to do? I did about 21 rounds of a/c/t and 46 rounds of radiation. My port however was in my forearm.  I'm a stage 3 a , double mast. Surgery was  Aug.5, 2014. Take one day at a time and remember it's ok to still laugh at funny things and be around positive people.

Hugs,

Bonnie

Bonnie

Thanks. Boy, am I bruised and very, very sore.  i haven't counted the infusions. Last one in a year. Radiation 31 times, and then AI for 5-10 yrs.