Another interesting dietary study

Options

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I do eat red meat but I

Hmm. I do eat red meat but I rarely ate processed meats. And I have always drank milk. Drunk milk? Not sure which is correct.

I have an acquaintance who is a veterinarian. Her brother had cancer- not sure which one- and he was a vegetarian. His onc told him he neede to start eating meat to get proper protien. So many theories, so many studies. What do we believe? Smoking is one of the few things that is directly related to cancer yet not every smoker gets lung cancer. My dad started smoking at 11 years old and passed away at 72 from enphysema. He didn't have cancer but it did kill him. My brother was a long term smoker who died of cancer of the esophagus. I'd think that was from smoking but his doctor said it wasn't. That being said, his COPD kept him from most treatment and made his last days miserable because there were other things he had going on that they couldn't do anything about because he wasn't a candidate for any surgery. He had a huge hernia that should have been dealt with before he was diagnosed with cancer but his doctor said not to worry about it and it made pressed on other areas and was very painful. He was being fed through a tube in his stomach for the last six months and the hernia was really in the way.

Anyway, I appreciate you sharing these studies with us. Thank you!

Jan

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Another good overview of lifestyle/nutrition choices

From the Nurses Health Study: "red and processed meat, alcohol, smoking, and obesity were associated with an increased risk of CRC [colorectal cancer], whereas folate, calcium, vitamin D, aspirin, and physical activity were associated with decreased risk of CRC. Moreover, modifiable factors, such as physical activity, vitamin D, folate, insulin and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1, and diet quality, were identified to be associated with survival among CRC patients."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4981802/

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited June 2017 #4
    Options
    On Aspirin Sandia

Not sure if you were told this or not, but taking 81mg a day seems to help a bit in recurrance in CRC (there was also something about coffee.)  Exercise and the other items are also key.  I got a Fitbit type of thing before the met to lung surgery.  Really try to keep on top of it.  Even if front of computer all day working, I try to get a mile in a day.  During summer and doing my more active photography, usually 3 miles a day.  

As an aside, Japanese seems to have a higher incidence of stomach cancer (though I have not looked recently) which some believe is based on their diet.  Could be the type of fish, the higher you go up the food chain in the ocean there are more toxic metals consumsed.  There was a great article in the Harvard Journal (can't remember which one, I still have it) about 12 years ago or so [way before my cancer] that by the time you get to sharks/tuna the metal is really concentrated.  (Harvard Journal of Public Health?)  

Hope you are rocking the stupid chemo still Cool  You about three in now?

• mozart13
    mozart13 Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2017 #5
    Options
    Enoy life while you can

All this studies like Jan said in one of her postings need to be taken with "grain of salt".

My granma smoked till age of 65, at that time they didnt use filter, she lived till age of 87, was quite healthy, active.

I've seen people with with terminal cancer in 30's and 40's, healthy life style, in good shape, and than sh..t happens.

I've been active all my life, healthy life style, taking baby asa since age 48, here and there to prevent heart dissease, that was my concern, when noticed blood in stool, thought it was from asa, probablly it was, cancer was cought in very earlly stage, but did asa prevent it, no.

Right now I eat more red meat than before, it gives me boost of energy, its reach in iron, and it feels good after I eat it, am I concern that it will impact my health, my health is alerady impacted.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    edited June 2017 #6
    Options
    Glad to hear

about milk being a positive.  I rarely eat meat and never processed meats.  But I use milk, yogurt  and love my cheese.  

Trying to pick the best foods to eat is a challenge.  Mostly I listen to what my body seems to crave.  As long as it's not sugar.  i can stay fairly sugar free but all it takes is one sweet and then I'm craving it like crazy. 

thanks for your post 

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited June 2017 #7
    Options
    NewHere said:

On Aspirin Sandia

Not sure if you were told this or not, but taking 81mg a day seems to help a bit in recurrance in CRC (there was also something about coffee.)  Exercise and the other items are also key.  I got a Fitbit type of thing before the met to lung surgery.  Really try to keep on top of it.  Even if front of computer all day working, I try to get a mile in a day.  During summer and doing my more active photography, usually 3 miles a day.  

As an aside, Japanese seems to have a higher incidence of stomach cancer (though I have not looked recently) which some believe is based on their diet.  Could be the type of fish, the higher you go up the food chain in the ocean there are more toxic metals consumsed.  There was a great article in the Harvard Journal (can't remember which one, I still have it) about 12 years ago or so [way before my cancer] that by the time you get to sharks/tuna the metal is really concentrated.  (Harvard Journal of Public Health?)  

Hope you are rocking the stupid chemo still Cool  You about three in now?

Progress

Actually, I have only done one course of each, oxiliplatin and capecitabine.  I do not plan to continue with the oxiliplatin and I am evaluating the capecitabine carefully.

• JanJan63
    Options
    PamRav said:

Glad to hear

about milk being a positive.  I rarely eat meat and never processed meats.  But I use milk, yogurt  and love my cheese.  

Trying to pick the best foods to eat is a challenge.  Mostly I listen to what my body seems to crave.  As long as it's not sugar.  i can stay fairly sugar free but all it takes is one sweet and then I'm craving it like crazy. 

thanks for your post 

Pam, I'm not sure it's

Pam, I'm not sure it's helpful to deprive yourself of sugar if you really like it. I know the studies say that cancer cells consume more sugar than healthy cells and it's how a PET scan works, it detects cells that are consuming more sugar. But you cannot eliminate sugar from your diet, it's hidden in so many things and starches will become sugar such as the starches in potatoes. So if you can't starve yourself of sugar to the point where it will not be available for the cancer cells, in which case your healthy cells- which need sugars- will also starve- there's not much point in going without something you enjoy.

I just hate to hear about someone not enjoying life if what they're doing is likely not going to help. If you have any sugars at all the cancer's going to grab it. And if you're NED, it's a non issue. Not eating sugar is certainly not going to prevent cancer. Please just enjoy your life.

Jan

• EissetB
    EissetB Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I like reading your post, Jan

I like reading your post, Jan!! For me, it's more like feeding me information on what to do during the therapy. I'll be going to my 4th infusion tomorrow, & I am now getting nervous once again. So scared of all these things theyre going to do with me tomorrow, like the port draw and flush. I know everyone are different. I will try to calm myself tomorrow, take a deep breath and pray. God bless us all <3

• JanJan63
    Options
    EissetB said:

I like reading your post, Jan

I like reading your post, Jan!! For me, it's more like feeding me information on what to do during the therapy. I'll be going to my 4th infusion tomorrow, & I am now getting nervous once again. So scared of all these things theyre going to do with me tomorrow, like the port draw and flush. I know everyone are different. I will try to calm myself tomorrow, take a deep breath and pray. God bless us all <3

It's all scary. The not

It's all scary. The not knowing is scary. I found that most of what happened wasn't as bad as I'd scared myself into thinking it might be. I was also scared of the port draw and flush but it turned out to be not bad at all. But I did find that even if I'd had something done and it wasn't bad, the next tme I was scared that it would be worse, that I'd just gotten lucky the last time. So I completely understand your worries. The last days leading up to any procedure always filled me with dread and I found it hard to think of anything else. Once they were over, though, I'd find that I'd feel so much better to have it behind me.

I don't think there's any emotion you can have at a time like this that isn't understandable or is unusual. My mom died of cancer and I remember her being relieved that hers was so far advanced that they could do nothing for her. She was that scared of the treatments.

I wish I had some advice to help you get through it but I have nothing. I also get scared and anxious and have no ways of coping with it other than just letting the emotions fill me up. I have a CT scan coming up on June 19 and I'm scared they're going to say that the mets have grown. I'm scared they're going to say this chemo I'm on that has been so easy and has shown no side effects isn't working and we have to go back to something that will be unpleasant.

I think you'll find that once your procedure is over tomorrow you'll feel just a little bit stronger. Just a little tougher. You'll be able to look back on it and know you got through it and know that you can do it. It's empowering. Know that I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and I wish the best for you. I'm sure several of us here will. You can do this and you will do this. You will do whatever it takes to get back to health and to live. You will look back on this some day and be grateful for your strength. And know that He is with you all the way.

Hugs,

Jan   

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What chemo Jan

Jan - Have you mentioned the chemo you are on now? would you mind mentioning it (And sorry if you have already).  So much info to deal with.  Good luck on your scan.  

I have my 3rd scan next week - fingers crossed for some positive results snd nothing new that has popped up.  Just had my 17th avastin and folfir - had one treatment break - great, "normal' week and a half when I got over first week side effects.  Also have a 3 wk session coming up, instead of two.  Haven't been away in a yr, so going on a week getaway - yah!

• JanJan63
    Options
    Bellen said:

What chemo Jan

Jan - Have you mentioned the chemo you are on now? would you mind mentioning it (And sorry if you have already).  So much info to deal with.  Good luck on your scan.  

I have my 3rd scan next week - fingers crossed for some positive results snd nothing new that has popped up.  Just had my 17th avastin and folfir - had one treatment break - great, "normal' week and a half when I got over first week side effects.  Also have a 3 wk session coming up, instead of two.  Haven't been away in a yr, so going on a week getaway - yah!

Thanks Bellen! Have a great

Thanks Bellen! Have a great time away! The chemo I'm on now is Xeloda. The primary side effect is supposed to be diarrhea. I have an ostomy so no concerns about that. And hand and foot syndrome is also a potential side effect. I'm supposed to be using cream to prevent that but I haven't bothered and haven't had it so far. It causes red hands and feet and they can peel. I have mentioned it but I certainly don't expect anyone to remember. I should keep trakc of other people's treatments and issues and dates of medical stuff like Sue does but I don't. And I have a terrible memory. I'd like to say its chemo brain but I always did.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, too! I wish everyone on here could have good health and good luck in whatever is next for them. I'm really concerend with how John is doing. I loved reading his posts, he's amazing, but apparently he's not doing well. I pray that he'll be okay.

Jan