Hair after chemo

Olami791
Olami791 Member Posts: 2

Hello I'm new to this site. This is my first post. I just finished my chemo abt 3 weeks ago, and I'm wondering how long I have to wait to get my hair back. When can I stop wearing these hot wigs.?

Comments

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Hi Olami!  Welcome.  By the

Hi Olami!  Welcome.  By the time I started radiation treatment, maybe 3 weeks after chemo, I had fuzz.  Once it made an appearance, it grew back pretty quickly.  I had hoped it would grow back thicker than before, but no - It's my same old hair.  Best wishes.

• tufi000
    tufi000 Member Posts: 745 Member
    Hair

I only wore wigs to work so they would be more comfortable

Otherwise I wore different beadbands enhanced with stuff to fit the occasion until the fuzz got long enough to pass for being there on purpose. Mine did come in thicker AND CURLY! Never had either. What a joy! It's still curly but what they delicately call "fragile"

As far as speed, My son had just been in an accident at college and had to have his head shaved around this time. So we had a growing contest.  I beat him by 1/4 inch when the fuzzies got measurable.

The headbands were very Star Trekky. The gorgeous young model/actress that wore them in the Star Movie so beautifully died form BC shortly after the film hit. So I sort of did it for her too

Try to have fun with it. Short n easy for work and quick dressing. Long for back of Harley, shoulder for being me

• sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Hi Olami welcome to the site.

Hi Olami welcome to the site.  Well not to be discouraging but mine took a long time.  almost a year.  I loved wearing the wigs though.  I could play make believe and be different people.  I still wear them.  

• cartina
    cartina Member Posts: 3
    thin hair

Maybe it was my age (72) during chemo, but 3 years later, my har has grown back very thin with "male pattern thinning".  I have worn wigs since, but lately am tired of them though they look great.  They are hot in summer.  I wear ball caps or nothing.  I don't care anymore.

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    I bought a wig!

So, I went to a wig salon and bought a wig. The woman there was very helpful and I tried on a lot of them. I was surpirsed at how expenisve it was! It looks ok, but I pray I don't lose my hair! I did not lose my hair with the last chemo 6 years ago! Maybe I can have 2 hair miracles! I also bought some hats.  

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Hello

Olami,

Hello and welcome to this site.  Sorry you have to be here but you picked a good place to get some hugs and encouragement.  You can also vent and we are forgiving. 

Oh the hair.  Yes, I was so mad about losing my hair.  I still am but being brave.   I lost it all and I hated the feel of a wig.  So I stuck with scarves, soft knitted hats, and ballcaps.  After my last hard chemo, my hair started coming in.  At first I thought it looked like the back side of a duck.  It took some time, about 5 months to look like anything much.  For me it was or seemed to me, a mess.  I think I may have been the oddball here, I dont know.  The front was thick and straight and white.  The top and sides were straight and thin.  the back was a curly dark brown mess!  I could not take it so I went to the hair stylist and she cut off the curls off, trimmed up the rest and it now looks like what they use to call a picksie cut but we are in hopes that it comes in even and straight. 

I know it is too frail to color right now and white does not hold color well so I may have to deal with the two tone.  I will survive it and if I dont like it, I suppose I will just keep cutting it and wearing hats.

Hugs,

Annie

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    edited June 2017 #8
    Rinse?

Annie,

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is a natural rinse to harsh for your hair at this time http://www.hair-color-scout.com/natural-hair-coloring.html ?

• Apaugh
    Mesh

I dont know.  I just went by what my doc said as to not to irrtate the skin on your head.   and the heat would hurt the tender new hair coming in.  I would ask your doc about it as far as natural rinses go.  I just know i dont need more trouble to my hair then I already have.  Maybe some others on here have and they can chime in with their  experirence. 

I wish you luck if you do and please share a pic

Hugs,

annie

• Apaugh
    Rinse

Hey Mesh, thanks for that site.  I put it in my favorites and I am going to ask my doc about it.  If it all natural I think it would be neat to try.   I think as long has it does not have chemicals and amoina, and harsh things like that, what coudl it hurt.  

• JJ_Kang
    JJ_Kang Member Posts: 6
    I shaved my hair after the

I shaved my hair after the first bout of chemo, I just got tired of leaving a trail of hair everywhere I went. It's good to know it won't take too long for hair to grow back once chemo stops.

It would be even more lovely to have curly hair... I've never had curly hair...

• SLS100
    SLS100 Member Posts: 37
    edited June 2017 #12
    Hair after chemo

I was very concerned about my hair and my eyebrows. When I was  on Taxol my hair started to grow in like a man who is bald on the top and super curly in the back which I hate. Now it is kind of salt and pepper. Its been about 7 months now and the top is still thinner than the sides and back. I was very happy my eyebrows grew in althou ghtey are thin and not like before. I wear beanies a lot still because I still get cold from the chemo, especially my head. I never got a wig and used scarves because I live in Northern Calif where the climate can be cold or hot. Good luck.

• fightthefight2017
    fightthefight2017 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2017 #13
    I hated wearing wigs!!

I hated wearing wigs!! Anytype of extensions for that matter! I found this awesome Hair Recovery Treatment Center. They perserved my hair by cutting it, after chem they reapplied it to my hair by microbeading. So its extensions but atleast its MY HAIR :) 

Their website is https://www.hairwithacause.com/

Hope this helps guys!