Repost about thinking about cancer

foxhd
foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member

With many new people here, I thought this repost might make sense. (from a couple years back)

Did you ever get a song in  your head and you can't get it out?

This weekend I had another experience that we have all had. Some good intentioned person was asking me how I'm doing. During our conversation they uttered that incredibly stupid statement, "We all could die any minute. We could get hit by a bus today. Or maybe have a heart attack and die. We are all in the same boat. You can't worry about it"..don't you want to punch them in the nose?..They are clueless.

I never had a good answer to that. They just don't understand how consuming the thought of having cancer is. Especially when you are stage 4. Then I asked him, "How many minutes in the last year have you conciously thought of dying due to being hit by a bus?" Of course the answer was zero. Then I asked him," Now have you ever had a song (usually one you don't like) stuck in your head and you can't get it out no matter what you do?" Of course he said "Yes."

Then I told him THAT is what it is like to have cancer. All day. Every day. We never forget. We can get minutes, maybe hours where we can be distracted by family, activities, or sleep. But it never goes away. Constantly eating at your brain. That stopped him in his tracks. He exhaled and said he never considered that. My statement took all the air out of his balloon. He had no comeback. Here it was. Finally a snappy answer that people can understand.

Several people heard this conversation. I'm sure it struck them all. But me being me I decided to have fun with it. So what I did next was hilarious. (To me.) Here we were. At a picnic. 85 degrees. Middle of June.

So I started whistling. Christmas songs! I kept it up, off and on, all afternoon. Guess what everyone was doing after a while?  Oh my God! It had me laughing my a$$ off.  There was Jingle bells, White Christmas, and my favorite of the day was, "Grandma got run over by a reindeer..."I stuck songs in everyones head.

Now, is that funny or what? Maybe I drove the point home. I can't wait to do this again. Who says cancer can't be fun

Comments

• CRashster
    CRashster Member Posts: 241 Member
    It's funny

how perspectives change. Everyone of us can relate to this story. A lot of our journeys are different, but have experiences that are so alike. Thank you for sharing.