Got to fight

Sslee723
Sslee723 Member Posts: 54

So I've been on here for close to three months and I have had lots of ups and downs.  Today I saw a childhood friend in the food store and I filled him in on all that I've been dealing with.  Now I've literally known him since kindergarten.  What he said to me really hit me hard.  He said that I am a fighter .  Not to let this disease get the best of me, that I'm stronger than that.  I haven't really thought about how right he is.  This forum has helped me tremendously, but seeing this old friend made me open my eyes.  Just wanted to share this with you guys , because you are all great listeners.

Comments

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    Fighting Cancer

I'm not sure what it means to 'fight cancer'. I guess it is about not giving in or giving up.

Currently I'm NED, but I'll be having scans in the middle of June. If I'm ever in your situation then maybe I'll learn what it really means. 

Now I can't remember what I was trying to say...

It's a beautiful day here, so I'll go walking and thinking.

Steve.

• foxhd
    foxhd Member Posts: 3,181 Member
    This is how

we really find out what we are made from. Sslee, I think I made a similiar comment to you earlier. When you know you can grab on and not get thrown off the ride, it is empowering. You have a good grip. Keep holding on and when the first rapid descent is over you'll look back and say, "Not so bad." After that it you get even tougher.

• APny
    APny Member Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited May 2017 #4
    Maybe it's just me but the

Maybe it's just me but the battle analogy turns me off. It implies that if you only fight hard enough you can beat this. Well, unfortunately some can't beat it and then people say the person "lost the battle." As if it were his or her fault and if they fought harder or better, they'd still be with us. I'm not saying we should fold up and die upon diagnosis but to say we're battling or fighting implies that it's somehow our fault if we don't make it because we didn't fight hard enough or long enough. Sorry if this offends anyone but it's just my take on the wording.