Rates of recurrence free survival

Options
2»

Comments

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options

HapB

I  had genetic testing done (Mammoprint), I was given a "score."  I am "luminal type A."  They provide statistics for people with my genetic profile (I have a 90% chance of not having a recurrance after lumpectomy and radiation).  Tomox would reduce MY chance of a recurrance by 40%- 50%.  That means that Tomox reduces my chance of a recurrance by 3% to 5%. Then I subtract the 1% increased chance of uterine cancer to come up with a potential benifit of 2%-4%.  I am trying to decide if this is enough benifit to make it worth it to take Tomox.  I know that you are making decisions about different things, but I would ask for a Mammoprint.  Maybe ONCO DX does the same thing.  I am not sure...

Mesch

My tumor was 1a also, but triple positive. Was your tumor Her2 + ?   I have a similar benefit ratio and not sure what the heck to do. Did your doctor help you decide? 

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    Stats? That's all I could fi

i was 43.  Stage 1 by one mo, stage 2 by other. The one who said stage 1 said I would never get it back, stage 2 said yes I would it was a matter of when not if.  She age 2 was right. Just under 8 years later it was throughout my bones, then went into liver.  I did 3 yrs of weekly chemo.  Then it hit my brain and lungs and some skin tumors. Now on hospice.

the statistics mean nothing to me as they don't say if those were ho didn't survive had other medical issues, and they are all grouped together.  The last 8 months have been downhill (since the brain and lung cancer),  hemp clear d the liver lesions, but I also got them while on chemo.  

I had issues with Cytoxin the first go around, and blood clotswhile stage iv and they ran out of options but mo figured r d devil was the best of the 3  options.  I was given options then spent days reading the t isle. Some I said no to because the trials has different outcomes from different cancer centers.  Made me believe some results were pretty skewed. i refused internal rads. Now dr says that was the smartest thing I did as so many had se and spent the rest of their lives in hospital or didn't make it home.  I was prepared to do it after

meeting with rads dr.  But then read studies. It was a lot of hard decisions. Now it is chemo and just pain meds and

problems with infections that I will take antibiotics

for. 

My suggestion is research the dream plan, ask questions and make informed decisions.  2 be time around was told 3 monwith chemo 6 or so without, I am

almost to 7 years.  Now it is getting bad and my time is running out, but had I not done research and gone along with so many suggestions for

treatment,  I wouldn't be here as I had reactions to 3 of the 8 chemo in 3 years and 16 separate areas of radiation that has caused se that make

y quality of life

not

good.

do your research and take someone with you to take

notes.

Carol

• sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2017 #24
    Options

Just talked to the doctor this morning and she is ordering the Oncotype DX test for me to determine if chemo is needed.  I'm a stage 2A, grade 2. ER+ PR-

Has anyone had this testing done?  Was it helpful in making your decision?  This is my second time around. Not a recurrence but a new cancer in the opposite breast.  First time 7 years ago, I had surgery, chemo and radiation.  No real problems with the chemo but the radiation was tough toward the end of the 35 rounds.

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Thank you Carol

It is a tough decision, and hard to know who to trust with our bodies.  So much of it is guess work. I am right on the line and because of my age, 65, quality of life is very important. It would be a big miracle if I even had 15 years left even without this cancer, because I already have another cancer, which is so rare it has no cure, but is slow to progress. So, now this. 

I hope that you are having a good day. I thank you so much for reaching out to help, even though in pain! God Bless you! 

• Josie21
    Josie21 Member Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    sparkle1 said:

Just talked to the doctor this morning and she is ordering the Oncotype DX test for me to determine if chemo is needed.  I'm a stage 2A, grade 2. ER+ PR-

Has anyone had this testing done?  Was it helpful in making your decision?  This is my second time around. Not a recurrence but a new cancer in the opposite breast.  First time 7 years ago, I had surgery, chemo and radiation.  No real problems with the chemo but the radiation was tough toward the end of the 35 rounds.

Oncotype test

i had the oncotype test done and it made me change my decision about having chemo. i scored a 13 which puts me at a low risk of recurrence. It has been 9 years and so far so good. I did have a bilateral mastectomy and a year later a hysterectomy. I am still on tamoxifen. One more year to go.  Ginny