chemo- stage 3 due to a tumor deposit

Options
Daquisap
Daquisap Member Posts: 2

Hi all, I am 37 just diagnosed at the end of March with colon cancer. I had surgery to remove the tumor. Pathology report shows 37 lymphnodes removed, no cancer in any lymphnodes but one tumor deposit in the subsereseol fat. Due to tumor deposit, it is considered stage 3. Anyone have this and did you do the full chemo regimen? Oncologists are recommending chemo, either Folfox or Xelox. looking for experiences with Xelox regimen, iv oxaliplatin and oral pills xeloda- 3 week cycle. Did you get the full dose of oxaliplatin at the first infusion? when did the side effects kick in? How was xeloda and when did you feel the side effects the most? 

Comments

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2017 #2
    Options
    stage 3

Hi. I was diagnosed stage 3 in February of last  year. Did xeloda (chemo) and radiation but had to stop as the radiation caused (burned a hole) a fistula between rectum and vagina. Had surgery in May at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore. I had an excellent surgeon. Removed 21 lymph nodes but no evidence of cancer. The surgeon took my case to the hospital board and all agreed that I should have adjuvent chemo. I did 6 treatments of oxaliplatin and xeloda (2 weeks on, 1 week off). At first oxaliplatin cause severe bone pain so it was lowered. I had the cold sensitivity for the first 5 days and then it would calm down. The xeloda caused a lot of fatigue. There were times that I was not comfortable sitting, laying, standing... anything. But no severe pain. Luckily I kept my hair. It only thinned. 

Now I'm dealing with after effects. Neuropathy, joint pain, muscle aches and fatigue. It's every day. It seems as though I've gotten worse instead of better but I understand that is typical. After effects can show up at any time and remain for a while. My doctor tells me to be patient.

I understand your hesitation. I seriously considered a wait a see approach. But my doctor said that because the tumor was in an area rich with blood vessels, there is no guarantee that microscopic cancer cells didn't get past the lymph nodes. That made me think that perhaps it would be best to do the chemo.

Good luck with whatever approach you choose. You can do this.

k

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    6 months of it...

Cool

I did the full 6 months of it with minor issues.

First dose Oxaliplatin full dose. Lowered last two infusions. (After about breaking two toes getting out of the shower)

I started feeling the hot/cold sensitivities after first infusion. 

I had a major leak from my port and had to have it replaced. The leak left me in pain with a blood clot in my juggler. The required 80 days of Xyrolta which is nasty stuff.

I am still recovering from the Chemotherapy induced Peripheral Neuropathy. This is my biggest complaint.(9 months after last infusion)

Xeloda has been very easy to deal with, with only minor fatigue.

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    WBC

Hi,

I forgot to add that I had continuous problems with low white blood cell count which caused at least 4 delays in treatment. That was probably the hardest thing to deal with. You get yourself  prepared for treatment only to be sent home for another week. Twice delayed 2 weeks and once delayed 3. 

Eventually got through it but it was very hard to not get discouraged. The infusion nurses were wonderful though. 

k

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Chemo

It might be useful to discuss with your oncologist the reduction in the chance for recurrence if you complete the chemo.  For me it is only a 10% reduction, which may lead you to question the value of the chemo.

I would definately recommend a reduced dose of oxilaplatin.  I had an 80% dose and did not do well and I am still analyzing whether I will do it again.  I am taking the Capecitabine (Xeloda) which is much milder than the oxilaplatin.  There are also likely a number of other steps you can take to reduce your chance of recurrence, including, first of all, exercise and diet.

Sorry about your diagnosis, but you have found a good resource here.  Sometimes the doctors do not tell you all you need to know, for one reason or another.

• betula
    betula Member Posts: 86
    Options
    starting next week

Hi there,

My husband is 47 and diagnosed with rectal cancer.  He had 28 days chemo (5 FU) and radiation, then surgery and June 1 he starts 8 treatments of oxilaplatin and more 5 FU.  His biopsy showed 1 ini 31 nodes and 4 tumor deposits.  I obviously can't give you any experience with it yet but coming here is a good place to know that you are not alone and to get support.  Keep us posted on how it is going for you!

Betsy