Zofran vs. Marijuana - feedback?

Options
ginatom
ginatom Member Posts: 44 Member

Anybody have any input on taking zofran vs. using marijuana for nausea during the chemo?  Thanks!

Comments

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ginatom

I didn't use either, luckily I did not have enough nausea to need anything. I think they had me fill 2 or 3 different "just in case" nausea meds. I think for each individual it is just trial and error for what works for them. Maybe you won't need anything either I hope!

• eihtak
    eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member
    edited May 2017 #3
    Options
    ginatom....

Hi,

I did take Zofran for nausea and found that staying ahead of it rather than trying to calm nausea after it hit worked best, so I took the anti-nausea meds on a scheduled basis regardless of how I felt. I never did vomit, and the bit of uneasiness I felt was manageable. What helped most though was to always nibble (and sometimes it truly was just a bite or two of a cracker) throughout the day so as to keep something in my stomach as well as to force myself to stay as hydrated as possible. I did not use marjuana during this treatment, so cannot input there.

katheryn

• horsepad
    horsepad Member Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't recall the name of

I don't recall the name of the meds but I was on 2 differents meds for nasusea and 1 med to make me hungry. Nothing worked.  I couldn't eat and was loosing alot of weight.  My son suggested I smoke marijuana.  I asked my oncologist and he said it does help alot of people with the same problem.  I smoked and it was the only thing that helped.  I felt it was better to smoke a joint twice a day and actually be able to eat rather than taking those 3 piills twice a day which didn't work

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Marijuana

It's not legal in my state...and I'm not holding my breath for it to become legal.  I did however use it and found that it did help with nausea and appetite and mood, pain also.  I still lost a lot of weight and I haven't gained it back yet.  I had three different nausea pills that didn't work and had zero appetite, so without the marijuana, I imagine I would have spent more time in the hospital.  I got lectured at every dr. appointment that I needed to eat more, and I did try, and I'm still trying.  I avoid using marijuana because I really don't like feeling the high.  It makes me feel stupid and I cannot carry on a conversation that makes sense.  Luckily, my husband understands and has been encouraging me to use it more regardless of how it makes me feel because when I have used it, he can see the difference in my appetite.  He's a retired police officer...encouraging me to break the law.  Crazy, right?

• xxsarahxx
    xxsarahxx Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I used zofran, but had I been

I used zofran, but had I been in a medical marijuana state at the time, or even had been able to procure some through some other avenue, I would have ABSOLUTELY used marijuana.  Zofran makes you terribly constipated, which is not helpful at all to anal cancer patients and you end up having to use additional drugs to counteract the side effects from the drugs that you're using to counteract the side effects from the chemotherapy.  If that's not crazy-making, I don't know what is.  So, if you have access, I would encourage you to give it a try.  And if you haven't used it before, it's definitely nothing to be apprehensive about!

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2017 #7
    Options
    xxsarahxx said:

I used zofran, but had I been

I used zofran, but had I been in a medical marijuana state at the time, or even had been able to procure some through some other avenue, I would have ABSOLUTELY used marijuana.  Zofran makes you terribly constipated, which is not helpful at all to anal cancer patients and you end up having to use additional drugs to counteract the side effects from the drugs that you're using to counteract the side effects from the chemotherapy.  If that's not crazy-making, I don't know what is.  So, if you have access, I would encourage you to give it a try.  And if you haven't used it before, it's definitely nothing to be apprehensive about!

Agreeing with xxsarahxx

If you can obtain some without risk, I say go for it.  Eventually, the government is going to wake up and stop denying the health benefits of cannabis.   It really helped me wear out the rug between the couch and the pantry!  My cabinet is full of meds to counteract nausea and not one of them helped me.  I was never given anything to help increase my appetite...something to do with low blood counts prevented it.  My husband went out of his way to cook appetizing meals for me and the only time I actually enjoyed them was after I smoked.  Of course, then I was useless for the rest of the night, except for craving ice cream, cream puffs and other high calorie junk food.  Try the Zofran.  (If I remember correctly, I was given a bag of it before I got the infusions of Mitomycin). But try the pills...if it works, great!  If not...you have more natural options.

• LindaBaehr
    LindaBaehr Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Four Meds

They gave me four different anti nausea meds, but marijuana worked the best for me.  I still use it for my ongoing bowel issues/pain and it helps with the neuropathy in my feet.