Unexplained GI bleeding

Options
hana239
hana239 Member Posts: 3
edited May 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hey everyone, I had posted on here before but I decided to post again because it's been a while and I since haven't found an answer to my symptoms.

So I started having blood in my stool back in August when I noticed a drop in my Hemoglobin.  I took a stool test which came back positive for blood, so my GI recommended a colonoscopy and endoscopy.  Both tests came back clean, so I left it at that.  However, I was still feeling run down and was having increased bowel movements.  I took another blood test which showed I was anemic, and my new GI ordered another stool test, which came back positive again.  Because of this, I got another colonoscopy in case the first one missed something, as well as an MR Enterography to check the small intestine.  Both tests came back normal.

My question is, what could possibly be causing the bleeding if all the tests I've taken so far have come back normal?  The GI who ordered the colonoscopy and MRE is my third GI, and at this point my parents are tired of doing all this testing.  I just don't know what to do because I'm having this problem yet we can't even figure out what's causing it.  This whole thing is making me really worried and is really affecting my state of mind as well.  Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Welcome back

I'm sorry you're still experiencing problems. 

Have you tried to record your food intake? I wonder if you are eating something that is causing the problem? 

Its worth a try. Record everything that goes in your mouth, and then note what your symptoms are like. Better. Worse. Just the same. 

I wish you luck.

Tru

• mozart13
    mozart13 Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Bleeding

check your INR, PTT lab results, if they are elevated, there is another issues,those results would show if your bleeding time is normal, and if they come elevated, it means you bleed easilly, in that case you might need to see different speciallist, like internal medecine, some one to look at at problem from different angle.

Your GI guys obviouslly checked upper GI and Lower GI tract, get somone else involved, like I mentioned, Internal medecine.

Good luck!

• jacquelinem2
    jacquelinem2 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Sorry

I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it must be very distressing for you.  My brother is currently undergoing treatment for small bowel cancer after a mirage of tests, so I know how difficult this may be.

However, the good thing is it seems as if your GI has been pretty on top of things.  I think you can be assured that nothing too sinister is going on with all the tests you've done.  I assume you're female because of your name.  As women we do bleed every month, which can result in anemia.  I dealt with it when I was a teenager, my mom dealt with it as well.  As for the stool tests, I'm really not too sure.  Did your GI check for hemorrhoids?  Sometimes they can be a bit difficult to see if they're not bleeding at the time.

I hope you get this figured out soon.  Medical mysteries are the worst.  Don't worry though, you'll be fine.