Heart trouble and chemo

Options
Maggie359
Maggie359 Member Posts: 5

Hi!  I'm new here.  I'm 60 and was diagnosed with stage 2 HER2+ in Dec.  The tumor was 2 1/2 cm by 1 1/2 cm.  It did not metastasize, not in nodes and have gone through 4 of the 6 chemos.  The tumor is no longer able to be felt.  Right before starting chemo 5 and herceptin treatments my platelets dropped and they postponed treatment for a week.  They also did a second echo and it showed my heart weakened since Feb.  My heart beats at 94 beats continually, beats irregular and this is a concern.  I asked my oncologist if I should be concered about the heart weakening further going forward with the chemo and she said since the the echo was done by a different Dr. than the first time, it was probably just a matter of technique...no worries.  But I am concerned.  My doctor is not in with a group who have a cardio oncologist team member to talk to.  Not sure what to do.  Anyone else had this problem?  Thanks.

Comments

• Maggie359
    Maggie359 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    HapB said:

Maggie359

I have not started chemo yet, just had lumpectomy and waiting for path report. i am going to suggest that you MUST have a cardiologist look at the echos and follow you now. From what I have rsearched, heart problems are a  common side effect to this chemo regimen. Don't hesitatr to get a good cardiologist now!

Thanks HapB....I think I'll

Thanks HapB....I think I'll do that.  I had the chemo first and will have the surgery following.  Good luck to you!  

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Maggie359

I have not started chemo yet, just had lumpectomy and waiting for path report. i am going to suggest that you MUST have a cardiologist look at the echos and follow you now. From what I have rsearched, heart problems are a  common side effect to this chemo regimen. Don't hesitatr to get a good cardiologist now!

• kakennedy
    kakennedy Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2017 #4
    Options
    Your Numbers Matter!

Hey Maggie, I was diagnosed with Stage 1A HER2+ (clear nodes) in June 2016 and completed 12 weekly Taxol/Herceptin treatments, 16 radiation treatments and am now doing Herceptin every 3 weeks until August 2017.  I've had 3 echocardiograms thus far.  2 of the 3 showed a Left Ventricle Ejection Fraction = 45-50% thus my encologist withheld treatment the first echo.  After the second echo (also read by a different radiologist), he ordered a MUGA (Myocardial Gated Wall Motion Study) Scan which indicated my LVEF was 59.4% and he gave me the Herceptin.  I would suggest you have reason to be concerned......just as I was thus the reason for the more in-depth MUGA Scan.  The oncologist explained to me that my EF must be above 50% to receive the Herceptin. You may want to ask for a copy of your Echo reports each time so you can compare the ratings as well.  I ask for copies of everything....I'm fully aware I am not the only patient receiving treatment thus I keep a log of all of my chemo/herceptin dosages as well as bloodwork, echo results, etc.  

Hope this helps! :)