Test / Scan updates

eihtak
eihtak Member Posts: 1,473 Member

Hi everyone,

Earlier this year I had mentioned that I was scheduled to have follow-up scans, and I need to apologize for not updating sooner. Some of my tests needed to be rescheduled, once because of a conflict on my part, and then again due to my doctors schedule. While the scan was primarily a routine follow-up, I had some concerns over a change in, for lack of a better description, shortness of breath that I had not had previously. Gradually this winter I had noticed a change in my normal breathing, kind of like inability to fully yawn, sometimes light wheezing, and usually worse upon heavier exercise. I have not had any pain, and usually able to keep doing whatever I'm doing...just not breathing the same as I had been. I am 58, female, pretty active, healthy diet and weight, so this did concern me.

My history (cancer-wise) is a dx of Stage 3b anal cancer in 2011 treated with ostomy, chemo/radiation. In 2012, dx with a rare breast cancer and treated with a double mastectomy and an estrogen blocking med (Arimidex) that I am still taking. In 2015, I was dx with anal cancer mets to my lung, for which I had a lobectomy to remove the lobe that contained the mass followed with chemo once again. Shortly after completing the chemo, I was treated for a blood clot in my other lung and have since been on Warfarin. While this all sounds like a lot, in between and now, (other than this wierd breathing issue) I feel fabulous! I travel, eat and sleep just great, and stay involved with family and friends as well as volunteer in my community.

Soooo....finally I saw my PCP first. She said my blood work looked better than ever and to keep doing whatever I've been doing. After discussing my breathing, she ordered a chest x-ray, EKG, and echocardiogram...all of which came back normal. (I do have what is described as a minor leaky valve, but had this prior to my initial dx 6 1/2 years ago)

Next I saw my oncologist after my CT scan...no new areas of concern, although he ordered an ultrasound of my kidneys to better identify what turned out to be a cyst. Again, I expressed my breathing concern, so although my BP was normal, as well as everything else, he ordered a stress test...you guessed it, I passed with flying colors!

I would almost like to say this is anxiety related, but its different than that. Its always there. I can hear myself breathing, and sometimes so can others. Its like a vacuum that still works but has a hair ball in the hose, lol. Still no pain, so thats good. It has been suggested that it may be scar tissue from the earlier lung trauma that has developed over time, or possibly adult onset asthma, but these are only a best guess. I am waiting on an appointment with a pulmonologist for a PFT (pulmonary function test) and hoping to finally solve this mystery. I promise to update you when and if I ever get this solved, but overall, after all the tests I have had, it seems I'm doing pretty well. I'll be less skeptical after the PFT though and hopefully able to celebrate.

I'm hoping this spring finds you all at peace in your place along this journey, and moving forward in health. 

katheryn

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    katheryn

Thanks for posting an update.  I have been wondering about you.  I'm glad all of the tests so far have you cleared of any serious issue that could show up on any of those tests.  However, I understand your concern after going through all of that and still not identifying what is causing your SOB.  I hope the PFT will provides some answers.  I'm glad you and your doctors are still in pursuit of an answer.  I am sending lots of positive thoughts your way and prayers too.  Please let us know what you find out.  Hugs! 

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited May 2017 #3
    Katheryn

I had been wondering too how you were doing. Glad everything has been ok so far. I'm curious to know how your PFTs come out too- of course you don't have baseline PFTs to compare to so even if you're in the "normal" range you could still have a change. Like going from great to good if you know what I mean. I hope the tests turn out within normal limits. I agree it doesnt sound like anxiety since it is there consistently. 

• eihtak
    edited May 2017 #4
    mp327 said:

katheryn

Thanks for posting an update.  I have been wondering about you.  I'm glad all of the tests so far have you cleared of any serious issue that could show up on any of those tests.  However, I understand your concern after going through all of that and still not identifying what is causing your SOB.  I hope the PFT will provides some answers.  I'm glad you and your doctors are still in pursuit of an answer.  I am sending lots of positive thoughts your way and prayers too.  Please let us know what you find out.  Hugs! 

Martha...

Thank you for the positive thoughts and prayers. I am hoping this is either easily treated or just something I need to adjust to as although it is concerning, unless I'm hiking a mountain (and its okay if I don't) it doesn't stop me from doing my normal activities. I just don't want any surprise emergencies!! I'll keep you in the loop.

katheryn

• eihtak

Katheryn

I had been wondering too how you were doing. Glad everything has been ok so far. I'm curious to know how your PFTs come out too- of course you don't have baseline PFTs to compare to so even if you're in the "normal" range you could still have a change. Like going from great to good if you know what I mean. I hope the tests turn out within normal limits. I agree it doesnt sound like anxiety since it is there consistently. 

Mollymaude...

Thank you,

I should know for sure, but I've had so much done over the past several years that some tests seem to be a blur. It is possible that I did have a PFT at the follow-up of my lung surgery (or at least makes sense that I should have) but it may not be a reliable baseline measure anyhow due to the circumstances. I will let you know how it turns out.

katheryn

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Tests

I agree a lot of tests/treatment can blur together! Maybe not such a bad thing!

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    Katheryn

Thank you for posting this.  As I'm fairly new here...I still consider myself new especially compared to you and others like you who have a lot of years here...I find you to be an amazing source of info and support and I'm glad to know your history.  You are an inspiration to me.

I hope you find your answers soon and that all is well.  I'm sure that whatever comes your way, you will handle it with the same grace that you've dealt with everything else that's come before.

Whatever you are doing...it's the right thing.  I think you're pretty amazing.