The meds kinda scare me more than the cancer, crazy...i know

Options
nspired36
nspired36 Member Posts: 80

I know this sounds crazy, but the thought of taking Chemo, then going through radiation scare more than the thought of BC. I know its necessary and I'm going to do what is needed. I also know that everyone reacts differently to meds & treatment. I would like to get other's thoughts on the treatments they have had... the good,  the bad sand the hopeful. Also,  did anyone incorporate natural healing therapies? If so,  what worked? I may be over reacted since i haven't offically started anything yet,  but all i heard about chemo & radiation has been bad!

Thanks in advance for your tips, comments and suggestions!

Comments

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    HELLO nspired36 , I am

HELLO nspired36 , I am currently going thru my radiation treatments..so far so good I have another week and half to go! the thing with radiation is a cake wake compared to chemo (from what i hear about chemo) radiation you have to go to your treatments Everyday for about 28-33 or so sessions.(it varies depending on what you need) monday thru Friday ..sat and sunday off so body can recover..each session is only about 15minutes or so and they give you a set schedule. The most problems I have experienced is being a little tried after the treatments so I just go home and relax and rest the other thing is the sunburn that occurs in the areas that you have the treatments.  but doctor give you some cream to use for that. Radiation is still something going thru your body so they take pictures once week during the treatments and I get to meet with and talk with my Dr to make sure things are going as it should!   HOPE this helps.. 

• HapB
    HapB Member Posts: 527
    Options
    Chemo

I know how you feel. It is counterintuitive to poison your body with chemo to get well. However, I had another unrelated GI cancer 6 years ago. I had surgery, chemo, and radiation.  Ironically, and sadly, I was told that I was most probably cured of that cancer a year ago. The chances of recurrence for that cancer after 5 yrs. is are very, very low. Now, here I am a year later with Breast Cancer. Horrible. I don't want to go through chemo again. I will tell you that my body handled the last chemo very well. I was told I would have a 90% chance of losing my hair and I did not. It was no day at the beach, but I got through it. I don't want to do it again. Haven't decided yet. I have been using complementary approaches. Diet, diet, diet. I bought and read the AntiCancer Book, 2d edition. I highly recommend it! It will give you the cancer fighting foods and foods to avoid. Also, I bought "Super Immunity" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. He also has a cookbook. He gives the science of immunity boosting foods to help your body fight cancer. Once you start treatment, you should discuss diet with your oncologist because some foods interfere with chemo and others assist the chemo to kill cancer cells. I highly recommend both books, but especially the AntiCancer 2d edition. The author is a doctor and a cancer survivor.  

• nspired36
    Options

HELLO nspired36 , I am

HELLO nspired36 , I am currently going thru my radiation treatments..so far so good I have another week and half to go! the thing with radiation is a cake wake compared to chemo (from what i hear about chemo) radiation you have to go to your treatments Everyday for about 28-33 or so sessions.(it varies depending on what you need) monday thru Friday ..sat and sunday off so body can recover..each session is only about 15minutes or so and they give you a set schedule. The most problems I have experienced is being a little tried after the treatments so I just go home and relax and rest the other thing is the sunburn that occurs in the areas that you have the treatments.  but doctor give you some cream to use for that. Radiation is still something going thru your body so they take pictures once week during the treatments and I get to meet with and talk with my Dr to make sure things are going as it should!   HOPE this helps.. 

Thanks

Yes,  this helps alot.  I guess its the chemo that scares me,  but I have faith that I'll make it through.  It may get tough,  but I'm a fighter! Thanks again!

• nspired36
    Options
    Sorry about your reoccurance

Cancer sucks,  big time.  Sorry that you're going through this again, but I believe we have more strength than we know.  Look what you've overcome already. I  will look into your suggestions, they are appreciated!

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    You do what you need to

I often wonder if I really "needed" chemo, because of the early stage (1b) and low grade (2) of my cancer, but my oncotype score was high so it was recommended.  I did very well, but I never want to do it again.  Of course, I know I would if it was recommended AND I felt it was my best chance.  I was 63 when I had chemo and I did well in spite of being 63.  Looking back on it, I would say I would have regretted not doing it.  I would not have hesitated had I had a higher stage and higher grade of cancer, I know that.  But my oncotype score wasn't in that inbetween area of uncertainty, so it was recommended and I did it.  I get the impression that breast cancer is known to be sneaky.  I would not have asked for it had my score been low, tho, that's for sure.   Is chemo being recommended for you?  Radiation was a walk in the park for me. 

• nspired36
    Options

You do what you need to

I often wonder if I really "needed" chemo, because of the early stage (1b) and low grade (2) of my cancer, but my oncotype score was high so it was recommended.  I did very well, but I never want to do it again.  Of course, I know I would if it was recommended AND I felt it was my best chance.  I was 63 when I had chemo and I did well in spite of being 63.  Looking back on it, I would say I would have regretted not doing it.  I would not have hesitated had I had a higher stage and higher grade of cancer, I know that.  But my oncotype score wasn't in that inbetween area of uncertainty, so it was recommended and I did it.  I get the impression that breast cancer is known to be sneaky.  I would not have asked for it had my score been low, tho, that's for sure.   Is chemo being recommended for you?  Radiation was a walk in the park for me. 

I'm petty sure chemo will be needed

I think mine is in a more advanced stage.  I haven't been told the stage,  but its grade 3 and the tumor is large.  I'm petty confident ill have to go through chemo. I just don't want to be sick all the time.  I'm hoping you find some natural remedies to counter side effects. I haven't started chemo yet. I don't think it'll be great,   but might not be as bad as I'm thinking (we'll see)

• HapB
    Options
    Chemo....

All I can tell you is that the last time Ihad chemo it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. It was a different chemo though. I had a chemo pump that pumped the chemo into my body 24/7 one week on and one week off for a few months. The chemo they are recommending for me is for a year and then aromatase inhibitors for 5 years. Feels very daunting. But, I can't get ahead of myself. I think the vest advice that I have gotten her is to take one day at a time, or it is overwhelming. The path to being cancer free is long, but we will take it one step at a time and we will get through this. Yes, we can!!! 

• nspired36
    Options
    One of the ladies i went to

One of the ladies i went to church with had a chemo pump.  I meet with my oncologist next week,  so we'll discuss the differet options. I know its not gluing to be perfect,  but I'm hoping we can come up with a good combo of meds that are too debilitating 

• HapB
    Options
    Nspired36

I hope it all goes well. I meet with my oncologist next week too. Have you had surgery or are they going to do chemo before surgery too?  I hope you are feeling better. We can do this with God's grace! 

• nspired36
    Options
    Hi

I meet with the oncologist this Wednesday. From speaking with the surgeon, I probably will do chemo before surgery. I Hope all goes well for you too. 

Tanya 

• HapB
    Options
    nspired36 said:

Hi

I meet with the oncologist this Wednesday. From speaking with the surgeon, I probably will do chemo before surgery. I Hope all goes well for you too. 

Tanya 

Tanya

I'll be thinking of you Wed. and hoping for a good plan that gives you confidence! 

• peony
    peony Member Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    May 13 was my one year

May 13 was my one year anniversary of finishing radiation teatment. I had chemo before the radiation.  I didn't feel sick all the time on chemo; I felt tired most of the time.  Sometimes thoroughly exhausted.  But I had enough energy to keep working. They say it takes a year or more to recover from chemo and I still have some side effects, Neuropathy from the chemo, and lymphodema from the radiation. Still, I don't regret either.  I had two tumors and was also stage 3, IDC. There were nodules in my lung on my initial PET scan and I attribute the chemo to eliminating them. I'm rambling, but all I know is that when I told my primary care ( whom I consider a friend, she's been my doctor for 17 years) that I was diagnosed with bc, she looked me in the eye and said, "you have got to fight. Take every treatment they offer you and you can come through it healthy".  And that's the advice I would give to you and any other cancer patient.

• nspired36
    Options
    Thank You!

I appreciate the advice. It is just overwhelming right now. I am sure that you understand. I had my MRI today. I made it throgh like a champ (I am super claustrophobic), so that was a big deal for me. I just told myself that this is "just the beginning" and to be strong. I meet with my oncologist tomorrow and hope we can come up with a treatment paln  that does not make me super ill. I can somewhat deal with being tired, even exhausted. I just need to be able to work and try to maintain some level of normalcy. Will the Neuropathy and Lymphodema eventually go away? My mom has Neuropathy and handles it pretty well, some days are better than others.

Thanks again!

• nspired36
    Options
    HapB said:

Tanya

I'll be thinking of you Wed. and hoping for a good plan that gives you confidence! 

I will let you know how it goes

I have heard several times that I have a GREAT oncologist. I have not meet him yet, but feel lucky that he is held in such high esteem. I will let you know how it goes.

• nspired36
    Options
    HapB said:

Nspired36

I hope it all goes well. I meet with my oncologist next week too. Have you had surgery or are they going to do chemo before surgery too?  I hope you are feeling better. We can do this with God's grace! 

When Is your meeting

What day do you meet with your oncologist? Hope it all goes well (I am sure it will)!

• HapB
    Options
    nspired36 said:

Thank You!

I appreciate the advice. It is just overwhelming right now. I am sure that you understand. I had my MRI today. I made it throgh like a champ (I am super claustrophobic), so that was a big deal for me. I just told myself that this is "just the beginning" and to be strong. I meet with my oncologist tomorrow and hope we can come up with a treatment paln  that does not make me super ill. I can somewhat deal with being tired, even exhausted. I just need to be able to work and try to maintain some level of normalcy. Will the Neuropathy and Lymphodema eventually go away? My mom has Neuropathy and handles it pretty well, some days are better than others.

Thanks again!

Nspired....

You are doing great taking it one step at a time! I am so glad that you have a good oncologist that you have confidence in. Hopefully, some of your pressing questions can be answered tomorrow. It helps to have a plan. good luck tomorroW!!

• Beepositive
    Beepositive Member Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    GOOD LUCK WITH EVERYTHING Nspired!

Prayers againg and Hugs for you Nspired! I have about 8 more days of Radiation and then I can RING THE BELL!!! i have been on leave from work for a few months..i just wanted to take the time and focus on "myself" and what I need to do! (everyone is different and have their own opinions on whats best for them) I will be returning to work after I finish these next few treatments and then in  about 6 months or so will have my expander removed and have surgery for my final implant!   God Bless you..HANG IN THERE ..YOU WILL BE FINE!! 

BEEPOSITIVE Smile

• jlzinnia
    jlzinnia Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Chemo

Hi Nspired, Chemo is no picnic.  I had 8 rounds 2 weeks apart.  The cycle was pretty predictable for me, ok on chemo day (Thursday) and the day after.  By Saturday I was was feeling pretty poor.  By Tuesday I was feeling much better and usually returned to work by Thursday and would work until the next chemo day.  Each cycle was a little more difficult because you have a gradual decline.  However, if necessary I would do it again.  I am 4 years out from surgery and about 3.5 from end of treatment and I feel just fine.  I ate a health diet as recommended and avoided artificial ingredients.  I used the cream recommended during radiation therapy. I avoided negative or scary movies, books etc as recommended and focused on funny and positive ones. Get the pain killers and use them if you need them.  There is no need to be a hero.  I wish you the best of luck on your journey.  P.S. you can never minimize the importance of a good support system. 

• nspired36
    edited May 2017 #20
    Options
    Chemo

Thanks for the info.  I know everyone is different, but the common theme I'm hearing is although its no cake walk,  you can make it thorough chemo once you know what to expect.  I plan on completely listening to my Drs as well as finding natural and spiritual ways to compliment the cancer treatments. I'll post an update tomorrow after i have my 1st oncology appt. One thing i learned fairly quickly is to stay off Google. It will scare the heck outta ya