Removing dressing after lumpectomy

Options
HapB
HapB Member Posts: 527

Hi. I had a lumpectomy Wednesday and I have been doing fine. They told me to remove the outer dressing 48 hrs. After the surgery which is now. I am having a hard time getting it off. It is gauze topped with a waterproof square tape. The skin is coming off with the tape and it is still bleeding. Any tips? Ouch. 

Comments

• bribby
    bribby Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2017 #2
    Options
    lubricant

try gently putting some lubricant like coconut oil around the tape, maybe that will help . they didnt put tape over the gauze when i had it, just used the post surgery bra to hold it on.

• HapB
    Options
    Ugh oh

i got the tape off , but I think the steri strips came off with the tape on the incision under my armpit. Is this a problem? ugh

• meschellejensen
    meschellejensen Member Posts: 117
    edited May 2017 #4
    Options
    How are you today HapB?

Hi HapB, I'm just checking to see how you are doing today.

Meschelle

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    ugh that nasty tape.

After many times of keeping clean and changing that dressing, my skin was so sore and tore.  I started using feminine hygene pads with a gauze wrap.  If you dont have a gapping hole where the steri strip came off, I would not worry about it. 

Hug,

Annie

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #6
    Options
    Mesch and Apaugh

thanks for checking in on me. I am feeling alone today. I had a tough night last night. After I took off that tape, everything got inflamed and irritated. My breast swelled up and under my armpit hurt like hell. I was up most of the night with ice on the incisions. Ugh. I called the number that they gave me and the Breast Center is closed for the weekend and I did not want to page the surgeon. I don't want to drive 2'hours to Boston today. So, I put a gauze pad with paper tape over the incision under the arm. It looks gruesome, but it isn't bleeding. I am taking it easy today because I am sure I overdid it yesterday !  I am feeling down, down, down. I hate to be unable to take care of things and it has me thinking too far ahead. I appreciate your being there so much!! I think it is ok without the steri strips???  

• meschellejensen
    edited May 2017 #7
    Options
    HapB,

I honestly don't know how important the steri strips are because mine stayed on until my BS removed them after my three week follow up.  I also had the swelling and pain under my arm and breast, ice was definately what helped the most.  I kept ice on both incision sites around the clock!  I would suggest that you not to be to afraid to bother somebody, and I would suggest that you call the after hours line to ask about the steri-strips.  It would only take them a couple of minutes to let you know what they would advise.  The other thing that was helpful for me in the beginning was Advil every twelve hours, and then Tylenol every four hours.  It is safe to take both together, I checked with the pharmacy.  My BS did not perscribe any pain killers, and I was able to get through with ice, Advil, and tylenol.

As far as feeling down, I think that we can all relate!  My plan has been to take things one step at a time.  After surgery I went for a second opinion on radiation at Cancer Treatment Centers and they found another lump (it turned out to be a complex cyst), but while I was waiting for the biopsy results to come in I was REALLY down. Sobbing level down, because I felt like I couldn't start this process over again.   While I am really not excited about going to live in another state for a month for radiation, or radiation for that matter, I am choosing to focus on the fact that I am moving toward a normal life again, one step at a time. That is my goal, my normal life again. 

• HapB
    Options
    Mesch

Thanks! I like the way you are approaching this. I never take pain meds because they make me nauseous. I figure I will call them Monday or if it gets worse, I will go to the emergency room tomorrow. They don't have an after hours number......and I don't want to bother the surgeon on the weekend.

I am sitting here with the ice pack draped across my incisions.  i wish that I could cry, but I am emotionally numb. I can't cry or scream or laugh. I am just still a little stunned that this is happening after fighting the other cancers for years and finally feeling well again for a short time. Cancer is a nasty little sneak and I hate it! 

Thanks, Mesch!!! I hope that your radiation goes well. When do you start? 

Prayers for strength and a cure!

• meschellejensen
    Options
    Hi HapB,

I hope that you are doing better today! I know all about that numb feeling!  I was handling everything well right up until CTCA told me that I needed the second biopsy, and then it was like a dam broke!  I literally could not hold the emotions back.  I think this is when it really sunk in that I had breast cancer, and getting rid of it was going to be really aweful!

I am starting radiation on May 22nd at CTCA.  I will have hypo-fractionated radiation with a boost (higher doses of radiation over a shorter time followed by radiation concentrated on the tumor bed).  I have not been able to find out anything on this message board, so I really don't know what to expect.  I am just taking it one step at a time.  My next step is to get ready for my stay in Phoenix for a month.  There are still long term decisions that I have not yet made (hysterectomy/AI vs. Lupron shots/Tomoxofin vs. Removing my overies only vs. nothing), but I will tackle radiation first...

Is your swelling down some today?  I hope so!

• HapB
    Options
    Hi!  What a roller coaster

Hi!  What a roller coaster ride this is.  Will someone be with you in Phoenix? I hope so and I hope that the radiation goes well. I had radiation for a GI cancer 6 yrs ago. It was not fun, but doable. Hang in there!  Seems like so much and having to stay away from home for a month just adds to it for you. If you are with someone, maybe you could add in a little sight seeing, depending on how you feel. 

The swelling has gone down today, but the incision under my armpit is really sore and bright red. Is that normal? I have a pad lightly taped over it. I need to slow down. I so want to clean my house and get ready for treatments, etc. Also, Spring is finally here in New England and I want to put winter clothing away and prepare Spring and summer clothing before treatment starts.  I keep starting projects and then I realize that I better slow down! 

I am sending you healing prayers and thoughts!  Thank you for being there!!!! 

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Dont rush yourself..it is the season to take care of you...

The anxiety and depression after a major surgery is normal.  The time is here for you to take care of you so you will be here later.   ASk for help when you can .  Dont deny someone a blessing by helping you.  My incisions got really red.  As long as they are not oozing pus or smell like infection, dont worry.   I used Dial antibacterial this whole time to keep out germs.  It helped with the healing. 

HUGS

Annie

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #12
    Options
    Apaugh said:

Dont rush yourself..it is the season to take care of you...

The anxiety and depression after a major surgery is normal.  The time is here for you to take care of you so you will be here later.   ASk for help when you can .  Dont deny someone a blessing by helping you.  My incisions got really red.  As long as they are not oozing pus or smell like infection, dont worry.   I used Dial antibacterial this whole time to keep out germs.  It helped with the healing. 

HUGS

Annie

Apaugh

thanks. I am wondering what the heck an infection smells like? Yuck. The incision under my armpit is painful and of course, because I can't use any kind of deodorant.......not good! 

• meschellejensen
    Options
    How are you today HapB?

I'm just checking up to see how you are doing today? Are things getting easier?  Does the incision look better?  I really hope that yu are feeling better HapB!

Meschelle

• HapB
    Options
    Mesch

Hi. The hospital finally called me back and told me to keep the incision covered with gauze. it looks nasty and hurts like hell! Very sore, but I hope it will get better soon. It will be a week tomorrow evening.... ugh. Is that normal. It is not bleeding or wet just very irritated and red. I confess that I went grocery shopping again today. Could have done something to it. 

• meschellejensen
    edited May 2017 #15
    Options
    Hopefully You Can Take It Easy Tomorrow??

I am no expert, but I was pretty sore for two weeks, and back to work full time at three weeks (without lifting) and I have a very active job (first grade teacher).  Hopefully covering the incision will help.  Ice might also help, I know that it was vey helpful for me.

• HapB
    Options

Hopefully You Can Take It Easy Tomorrow??

I am no expert, but I was pretty sore for two weeks, and back to work full time at three weeks (without lifting) and I have a very active job (first grade teacher).  Hopefully covering the incision will help.  Ice might also help, I know that it was vey helpful for me.

Mesch

Thanks!  I am so glad and not surprised to hear you are a first grade teacher. I taught HS  for awhile before changing careers, but in my heart I will always be a teacher! Those were very happy years for me and I loved it! You must be almost done with school and then you will have the summer to heal and get well! 

I live alone and it is so hard to stay still because I have to keep functioning. I need to try harder to take better care of myself! Yes, tomorrow is another day. I just hired Merry Maids to come clean for me this week. 

• meschellejensen
    Options
    HapB

Merry Maids is a great idea!!  Money well spent!  I bet that you could have them help with some of the organizing that you need to have done to get ready for summer.  I bet there are also some great community volunteers that would love to help as well, maybe through your church?  Tomorrow is one week since your surgery right?  Hopefully by this time next week you will be feeling much better!

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #18
    Options

HapB

Merry Maids is a great idea!!  Money well spent!  I bet that you could have them help with some of the organizing that you need to have done to get ready for summer.  I bet there are also some great community volunteers that would love to help as well, maybe through your church?  Tomorrow is one week since your surgery right?  Hopefully by this time next week you will be feeling much better!

Mesch

Thanks, I feel like a new woman after Merry Maids, they stayed for 5 hours and the two of them got me all squared away! it was money very well spent! I feel better. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement. I have felt like I was an island in hell for the past week. 

• meschellejensen
    Options
    How are you today HapB?

Hi HapB,

Just checking on you.  How are you doing today?

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #20
    Options
    Mesch

Hi, thanks for checking in. How are you doing?

i finally went to an Urgent Care Center today. I developed a rash all over my chest and some on my back. The doctor took a look at my incision under the armpit and said it is not infected. She thinks the rash is an allergic reaction to a medication that they gave me during surgery. She said it looked like an allergic reaction to antibiotic. I don't know what they gave me, but she says that they often do IV antibiotic during surgery. So! I will call the doctor Monday morning. I had hoped to hear about the pathology report on Friday, but nobody called. I feel relieved that the rash is not an infection. My armpit is very sore, but the incision on the breast is healing well. 

I went out and rented LaLa Land movie for tonight and I am going to try to chill! 

I hope you are doing ok? 

• meschellejensen
    edited May 2017 #21
    Options
    I am doing okay

I have had a few easy weeks of feeling mostly healed up from surgery and just living my life.  Tomorrow I leave for Phoenix, and raditaion starts on Monday.  Step two...

I am sorry to hear about the rash, but glad that it is not more serious!  Did your doctor give you exercises to keep the full range of motion in your arm?