Ringing in one ear

Options

Good Morning!

I hope everyone is enjoying their Friday!  Everything was going well until my husband woke up with ringing in one ear this morning.  He had low dose cisplatin on Tuesday and everything was fine until now.  I know that hearing loss is one of the possible side effects of cisplatin, but the doctor said that is usually only in high doseages.  So, he is going to tell the doctor today and see if they want to switch him to Carboplatin as it is not at ototoxic or continue with Cisplatin for another dose.  He is a musician, so hearing is extremely valuable to him as music is his passion and it is part of our income.  This whole thing is scary.  Other than that, he is feeling really good so far.  Also, I thought that cisplatin caused hearing loss in both ears, but the ringing is only in one.  I didn't ask him which one, but I would suspect it's the left because they are giving him more radiation on the left and it is also targeted a little higher up on his neck on that side.  Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this symptom. 

~Chicklette~

Comments

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Terry had ringing in both

Terry had ringing in both ears and it lasted about 3 days during chemo week. Even after two lowered doses he would still get the ringing.  OUr dr. told us that they usually waited to see if the ringing went away a couple of weeks after chemo week.  But, the dr. was not that concerned.  Said it was just a side effect.  I would still mention it.  I am glad to hear that so far this is the only side effect.

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    edited May 2017 #3
    Options
    One Ring a Ling

I as well having ringing of the ears. I only really notice it when its really quite. As I do my day to day thing it does't seem that noticible. I am 6 months out and still have it. I had 7 weeks of Cisplastin. My toes are always cold as well. I will take the side effects and just hope they improve with time and recovery. I dont really notice any hearing loss. Keep bending those strings. Love me some music.

• mapdan
    mapdan Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ringing noise and hearing loss

It must be the Cisplatin. I had 7 treatments and have ringing in both ears but asked my doctor and he sent to Audiologist to have my hearing checked and low and behold I have severe loss in right ear and profound loss in left ear. Not words you want to hear but I am looking into a hearing aid for my left ear. I am 6 months out from last treatment and hearing is getting worse. Not trying to scare anyone just letting folks know that this cancer crap is the gift that keeps giving. I am thankful to be watching my kids grow up and am getting married this summer but enough is enough of all the side effects!! We are in an elite group. Survivors and tough ones!! Of course I grew up farming, shooting guns and watching car races ( sprint cars, sprint car dude!!) so maybe I cant balme it all on cisplatin :)

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    We talked to the doctor today

The ringing was not persistent and only lasted a couple of hours.  Today is his second round of chemo so we will be watching for it.  If it starts agai or gets worse, he might get switched to carboplatin.  It's just a watch and see kind of thing.  

• Chicklette
    Options
    mapdan said:

ringing noise and hearing loss

It must be the Cisplatin. I had 7 treatments and have ringing in both ears but asked my doctor and he sent to Audiologist to have my hearing checked and low and behold I have severe loss in right ear and profound loss in left ear. Not words you want to hear but I am looking into a hearing aid for my left ear. I am 6 months out from last treatment and hearing is getting worse. Not trying to scare anyone just letting folks know that this cancer crap is the gift that keeps giving. I am thankful to be watching my kids grow up and am getting married this summer but enough is enough of all the side effects!! We are in an elite group. Survivors and tough ones!! Of course I grew up farming, shooting guns and watching car races ( sprint cars, sprint car dude!!) so maybe I cant balme it all on cisplatin :)

Dan, what was your chemo regime?

Did you have weekly low dose or three high dose cisplatin treatments?  My husband is having weekly low dose treatments.

• mapdan
    Options
    weekly low dose treatments

I had the low dose Cisplatin done weekly. I am not trying to scare anyone with this hearing issue just bringing to light all the effects we will all be dealing with one way or another. One thing I have learned from this site is that we all react differently to some of the same treatments. Taste, dry mouth, smell and hearing. I wish you guys the best. I hope the ringing goes away for your husband. As a musician it would be a terrible thing to have hearing issues. Good luck you guys. 

• Chicklette
    Options
    mapdan said:

I had the low dose Cisplatin done weekly. I am not trying to scare anyone with this hearing issue just bringing to light all the effects we will all be dealing with one way or another. One thing I have learned from this site is that we all react differently to some of the same treatments. Taste, dry mouth, smell and hearing. I wish you guys the best. I hope the ringing goes away for your husband. As a musician it would be a terrible thing to have hearing issues. Good luck you guys. 

The ringing only lasted for a

The ringing only lasted for a short time and was only one day.  So, he did Cisplatin again yesterday and will be paying attention to see if he has the ringing again this week.  I appreciate the honesty.  That's one thing I really like about the people here.  There really isn't any sugar coating.  :)

• mapdan
    Options

The ringing only lasted for a

The ringing only lasted for a short time and was only one day.  So, he did Cisplatin again yesterday and will be paying attention to see if he has the ringing again this week.  I appreciate the honesty.  That's one thing I really like about the people here.  There really isn't any sugar coating.  :)

just get cured

First and foremost is to get cured and then deal with the side effects. Thats my take on it. Concentrate on the treatments to get rid of the cancer. The rest is called life!! Be there for him. Support of a loved one or family is one of the best medicines there is. Take it from me I am marrying the lady that stayed by my side through all my treatments. She was a friend that became my best friend and caretaker. 

• CJK_HNSCC
    CJK_HNSCC Member Posts: 2
    Options
    mapdan said:

I also had weekly Cisplatin

I also had weekly Cisplatin and have occasional ringing in my ears and I am nearly 8 months from last treatment.  While I haven't had a hearing test yet (or in the past 10+ years), I can tell that I lost some hearing in my left ear...particularly for the higher frequencies.  I also agree with your other post that getting cured is the most important thing.  Good luck with everything!

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Look at his blood-pressure,

Look at his blood-pressure, also his temperature, and blood-oxygen.  Chemo doesn't cause ringing, it causes metabolic changes that translate into symptoms.  

• Chicklette
    Options
    Chemo

he was switched to carboplatin three weeks ago and it seems to have helped.  He's doing really well.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Every time I have ever had

Every time I have ever had ear-ringing I was also experiencing high blood-pressure.  In one case it was pneumonia, in another it was pulmonary embolisms.  Also, on the later, they don't mention it because it is somewhat uncommon (but not unknown) but be on the lookout for ANY FORM OF CRAMPING IN HIS LEGS.  Cramps get relieved by forming blood clots.  In his supressed state he may have difficulties dissolving them.  Look up Deep Vein Thrombosis.

• Chicklette
    Options
    High Blood Pressure

My husband has high blood pressure.  He's been on medication for it for a few years.

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    ringing in the ears

Im on the three high dose Cisplatin instead of the low dose weekly. Ringing starts usualy the day after (2 of 3 Cisplatin done now) I find that sticking music on with headphones helps, There are several white noise things on youtube which I havent tried yet.

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    My ears are still ringing

and I'm 5 years out from Cisplatin....I had my hearing checked and it was normal, I just have the ringing.  It doesn't bother me....the only time it gets my attention is when someone talks about it here, and I check...yup, still ringing.

p

• Chicklette
    Options
    I can relate, Phrannie

I do not have cancer, but I do have tinnitus and whenever I read about it here or my husband says something about it, the ringing in both of my ears gets louder and louder... :-P. Ugh!  Now they are ringing super loud!