Sticky saliva...what the what?

Options
MMDowns
MMDowns Member Posts: 318

Hello friends,

I hope that everyone is well, feeling good, and getting ready for the summer.   We are doing well.  We really are.  The hubby is back to teaching full time and I am forever impressed and proud of this man.  We are in our third week of recovery and some side effects have disappeared and then there are new ones.  For example, instead of the thick mucous that he was constantly coughing up now he says it feels like "sticky saliva" is settling in the back of his throat.  He has a really hard time getting it out and when he does it often leads to gagging and ultimately vomiting.  He has thrown up more in recovery than during treatments.  Fluids are still very much an issue and he is doing so much better at drinking water but when he vomits we lose some of the fluids.  Anyone else know what he means we he says "sticky saliva"?  If so, tips, tricks, advice? know this is probably one of the lovely effects he will have to deal with but the vomiting has to stop.  He needs every bit of fluids and nutrition he can get in.  

Comments

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I continued drip-hydration

I continued drip-hydration infusions well into my second month of post.  It helped big time.  Nutrition is still a struggle at month 4.5. I considered CivilMatt's story about being on shakes for 8 months and have gone back to nuturition drinks.  Now they suppliment rather than lead, but getting in enough calories remains tough.  I've learned that any slacking off shows up in a couple of days.

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I continued drip-hydration

I continued drip-hydration infusions well into my second month of post.  It helped big time.  Nutrition is still a struggle at month 4.5. I considered CivilMatt's story about being on shakes for 8 months and have gone back to nuturition drinks.  Now they suppliment rather than lead, but getting in enough calories remains tough.  I've learned that any slacking off shows up in a couple of days.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    saliva

MMD,

If I had sticky saliva, I would say he is normal (I still have sticky saliva, to drool is cool) lol.

If he can drink carbonated drinks it usually cuts the sticky.  You generally only need to sip;  I know pop can be difficult (it still is), but I get a nice kick out of it.

I drank 10 glasses of water a day for most of 5 years and still drink a minimum of 6 glasses  a day.

The reason I was picky on eating was the awful feel and texture from most foods.  There were some food friends like tomatoes, cucumbers and olive oil, I consumed lots of those. I did try to eat and tried often, it was my main goal to get back to the land of eaten.

Your husband must be having an interesting time at school.  I will be on the lookout for him vomiting on YouTube.

Matt

• MMDowns
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

saliva

MMD,

If I had sticky saliva, I would say he is normal (I still have sticky saliva, to drool is cool) lol.

If he can drink carbonated drinks it usually cuts the sticky.  You generally only need to sip;  I know pop can be difficult (it still is), but I get a nice kick out of it.

I drank 10 glasses of water a day for most of 5 years and still drink a minimum of 6 glasses  a day.

The reason I was picky on eating was the awful feel and texture from most foods.  There were some food friends like tomatoes, cucumbers and olive oil, I consumed lots of those. I did try to eat and tried often, it was my main goal to get back to the land of eaten.

Your husband must be having an interesting time at school.  I will be on the lookout for him vomiting on YouTube.

Matt

LOL! So far he hasn't had the

LOL! So far he hasn't had the opportunity to give anyone good material for a youtube video. It happens randomly but he can now almost tell when he may throw up.  He has yet to try and eat solid foods.  He did try some of a chocolate malt and said he felt cold, that was about it.  The water is such a battle.  I almost have to force it down the poor man's throat.  He's going back in tomorrow and Friday for fluids.  He is NOT happy about it but I'll be the bad guy again.  I'm used to it :)  I will pass on the words of wisdom and let you know if there is a youtube video that I can share :)

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Yes Ma'am.

I had this as well. I feel it was a combination of the thick saliva and maybe the scarred area on the posterior naso-pharynx.  It subsided as quickly as it started though. Keep being the water advocate. We all need some High Quaility H2O. According to the water boy anyhow.

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options

I got through the worse, thick,stringy mucus~~finally. We just don't realize how our body is put together, so each piece does what it's suppose to do, in perfect harmony. Now, 5 years, 6 months later, I still have bouts of sticky saliva, I've just learned to deal with it, stay hydrated and even drink a coke now and then.  Keep strong, the worse is over

• MMDowns
    edited May 2017 #8
    Options

Yes Ma'am.

I had this as well. I feel it was a combination of the thick saliva and maybe the scarred area on the posterior naso-pharynx.  It subsided as quickly as it started though. Keep being the water advocate. We all need some High Quaility H2O. According to the water boy anyhow.

Lol! I will keep being the

Lol! I will keep being the water girl! thank you! I'm glad to know that this should hopefully subside soon. 

• MMDowns
    edited May 2017 #9
    Options
    Grandmax4 said:

I got through the worse, thick,stringy mucus~~finally. We just don't realize how our body is put together, so each piece does what it's suppose to do, in perfect harmony. Now, 5 years, 6 months later, I still have bouts of sticky saliva, I've just learned to deal with it, stay hydrated and even drink a coke now and then.  Keep strong, the worse is over

Too true! Our bodies are so

Too true! Our bodies are so complex and we forget

that. You're the second person that mentioned coke so I will most definitely pass that tidbit on to my hubby. Thank you!!

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Soda

I always thought sprite or 7 up would be good, as in cutting the yuck with lemon/lime? Remove fizz with a touch of sugar?

So glad to hear you guys are doing so much better :)

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    MMDowns, my hubby went

MMDowns, my hubby went through this exact thing with the super sticky back of the throat mucous.  He, too, would often wretch and gag and sometimes vomit. It lasted about 2 weeks.  The whole mucous situation had greatly improved in the last 3 days. He is 4 weeks and 2 days out of treatment. I don't have any advice other than what's are been said, hydrate and know that this too shall pass.

• MMDowns
    Options

MMDowns, my hubby went

MMDowns, my hubby went through this exact thing with the super sticky back of the throat mucous.  He, too, would often wretch and gag and sometimes vomit. It lasted about 2 weeks.  The whole mucous situation had greatly improved in the last 3 days. He is 4 weeks and 2 days out of treatment. I don't have any advice other than what's are been said, hydrate and know that this too shall pass.

I think it is getting better.

I think it is getting better.  He gagged once last night but did not vomit. His mucous had greatly improved.  Now he is working up the gumption to start eating solid foods.  He can swallow no problem but it's the fact that he knows that food won't really have a taste and I think that is the issue.  But I am 99% sure that when he meets with the radiation oncologist next week he will tell Terry that the PEG can be removed.  We will see.  I am so glad that your hubby is doing so much better! That is wonderful news! 

• rsp
    rsp Member Posts: 103 Member
    edited May 2017 #13
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

saliva

MMD,

Matt

YouTube

What a great comment about the kids at school trying to catch vomiting on YouTube!  I am a recently retired teacher, and can just picture the kids whipping out their phones to capture this event. Thanks, Matt, for the humorous comment.  We've got to remember to laugh through these tough times!