One year ago today

One year ago today I had my surgery. I'm trying to wrap my head around everything that's happened since then. I've learned a lot about myself. I would not have made it without the help of many people, including the smart, caring women on this board. Thank you all!!!!!

Thanks to gabapentin, my neuropathy is sort of under control. I still need the meds, though, and they make me kind of loopy now and then. I'm still walking with a cane but am going to start walking more regularly to build up my stamina.

The new pic was taken a couple of months ago. As my hair has grown out, it's gone extremely curly. I always wanted curly hair and thought I would enjoy this, but right now I'd just like to have my own hair back. I've read that this usually lasts about a year. If anyone has any experience they'd like to share, please do.

Best wishes to everyone who is awaiting treatment, in treatment, or post-treatment!

Comments

• Editgrl
    Editgrl Member Posts: 903 Member
    Yeah, Becca!

That one year anniversary is a big one!  I'm glad that the neuropathy is getting better.

Regarding hair...  it took mine less than a year after chemo finished to get back to "normal."  It came in curly, too, and I'd had just slightly wavy hair before.

May there be many more anniversaries to come!

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member
    edited May 2017 #3
    Gosh, Becca

Feels like I've known you longer than a year. Glad it's behind you and I hope you continue to improve. 

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Good Times

Becca,

I loved this post! It's always good to be reminded that we succeed, and thrive, as part of this community. Thank you for the anniversary note! B

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    edited May 2017 #5
    Congrats Becca! I often

Congrats Becca! I often wonder how long I'll celebrate/mark these milestones. That first year is a big one. I'm looking forward to that 2 year mark post brachy therapy.... Then I move to 6 month check ups.

My stick straight hair came back curly as well and I really liked it. Hated the color but liked the curls. Mine went back to straight after about 8 months. I still have the strange color. Will some bottled stuff on top! :-)  It has been 17 months since chemo for me.

I hope you continue to improve on your neuropathy and celebrate many more post cancer anniversaries.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Congratulations

That is always a milestone to celebrate.  I am so glad that you are starting to feel better.

Mwy always straight hair also came in curly,  I am not sure of the color, I was a red head and it is somewhere between that and blond now.  So far my curls are staying and it is getting pretty long, although shorter and thinner in front.  I cut my bangs the other day, but can't stand to even to think about cutting the rest.

Becca, I love your new picture.

Hugs and prayers, Lou Ann

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    edited May 2017 #7
    Curly Hair

My curly hair didn't last long at all--maybe 3 or 4 months.  I think I got rid of it with my first haircut.  It's as straight as can be now.

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    Congrats on this milestone,

Congrats on this milestone, Rebecca! I hope you get to go out and celebrate it with friends and loved ones!

My hair came in curly, too. Having always had straight hair it started driving me crazy so I cut it off! It came back straight and super thick. Hope that yours does the same. ;)

• janaes
    janaes Member Posts: 799 Member
    Im with you on all this

Im with you on all this anniversary stuff.  Its so good you made it this far.  I keep thinking about what i was doing last year at this time.  I was recovering from surgery.  Becca thanks for going through this with me.  cheers to you!!!!!!

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Congrats!

Yeah Becca!!!!

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Congrats Becca!

I'm just ahead of you. My hair came in n curly and I can't bear to cut it just yet. Formerly it was pretty straight. 

• beccabtown
    beccabtown Member Posts: 234
    edited May 2017 #12
    Thank you all, sweeties!

I feel so grateful and humble when I read these notes. Thank you all for sharing this strange journey with me. I hope you all continue to do so well and enjoy life!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member

Rebecca, CONGRATS!  It can absolutely being overwhelming to think of it all.  I drove by my hospital on the one year anniversary remembering it all - I totally get what you are saying.  

I am interested in hearing about everyone's hair.  Mine came in curly, short hair curly is SUPER tough, and as it grew out it would dry in perfect ringlets after washing.  Craziest damn thing.  It also went through different stages, feeling, color, texture...For me, it has taken just under five years to get it back to the way it was before the entire journey.  I will say I used to color it and when it all fell out I let it grow in as its natural color - whatever that was going to be. 

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited May 2017 #14
    I'm not quite at the one year

I'm not quite at the one year mark after chemo. My hair was wavy curly before and came in the same except for the color. It was more silvery. I have it colored now. Unlike most of you I never liked or wanted the curly hair thing. I have always fought it. Right now it is at a really weird stage. I'm praying that in a year it will have grown and evened out enough that I can style it like before as my other daughter will be married in June 2018. I think for some people it may seem weird to complain about hair after all we have been through, but hair sometimes seems like much of our identity.

• Big Sister 5
    Big Sister 5 Member Posts: 18
    edited May 2017 #15
    Congratulations

Becca, congratulations on your anniversary! It's a relief to read the success you and others are having. My sister has one more round of chemo, then will be facing 5 weeks of radiation.

Regarding all the comments on hair, I am hoping for a bit of sympathy. I am a victim of curly hair and have fought it most of my life. Everyone always tells me "oh your lucky; my hair is so straight." Curly hair is not easy; it's stuborn and hard to handle especially when it's humid. If I try to let it grow I look like I stuck my finger into an electrical socket. Well I said it and I hope you can feel for me!!! (meant in good humor!)

Again, congratulations Becca, and all you courageous, strong women on this site. Praying for all of you!

Lynn

• beccabtown
    Thank you, Big Sister, and

Thank you, Big Sister, and thanks everyone for all the comments about hair.

The frustrating thing is that I loved my hair when it first grew in and was very short and straight. I was going to keep it that way. Then as it grew out it turned out to be curly, so that's what I have now. I posted a question to my curly-haired friends of Facebook asking what products they use and was amazed to find out how much everyone does to take care of it.

• Hma4
    Hma4 Member Posts: 38
    1 year

Congrats! My one year since surgery is coming in June! It truly never leaves us feeling the same as before- physically I may not be stronger but mentally yes I am! Lol I had black straight hair with a few gray strands before,  when it first started coming out it was jet black slowly but surely it is turning all silver or at least most of it and just a hint of curls. I'm looking forward to the curls and the change of color. We are warriors and no one fights alone! Love and hugs to each of you

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Oh dear, I forgot to

Oh dear, I forgot to congratulate you Becca! One year is awesome! Continue healing! Big sister I feel you pain! Lol:)

• beccabtown
    edited May 2017 #19
    Soup52 said:

Oh dear, I forgot to

Oh dear, I forgot to congratulate you Becca! One year is awesome! Continue healing! Big sister I feel you pain! Lol:)

Thanks, Soup!

Thanks, Soup!

• beccabtown
    Hma4 said:

1 year

Congrats! My one year since surgery is coming in June! It truly never leaves us feeling the same as before- physically I may not be stronger but mentally yes I am! Lol I had black straight hair with a few gray strands before,  when it first started coming out it was jet black slowly but surely it is turning all silver or at least most of it and just a hint of curls. I'm looking forward to the curls and the change of color. We are warriors and no one fights alone! Love and hugs to each of you

Thanks, HMA4!

Thanks, HMA4!