pain mgmt after surgery

traci43
traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member

I was recently in the hospital to remove two tumors that caused a blockage in my small intestine.  They gave me the patient administered drugs (dialudid) after surgery, but after two days I stopped using them because I didn't like the way they made me feel--groggy and out of it.  My doctor put me on IV Tylenol and Gabapentin. Evidently the IV Tylenol delivers far more tylenol and far quicker than the pill form.  The Gabapentin aka Neurontin, was a liquid that they would have had to put down my NG tube, so I declined it.  I was also wary of this drug because I'd never heard of it before.  Then, just before I was released this article came out about using non-opioid pain relievers in hospital.  If I'd known more I might have been more willing to try the Gabapentin, guess I should have asked more about it.

Here's a link to the article discussing these non-opioid drugs, it may be helpful to anyone facing surgery.  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MED_OVERCOMING_OPIOIDS_POST_OP_ALTERNATIVES_CAOL-?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT.

Also, in 2009, I had HIPEC surgery and they gave me a tunnel epidural that was in for 7 days and gradually the dose was reduced.  By the time they pulled the epidural out, I didn't need anything other than Tylenol for pain.  This sounds similar to what was donfor the guy with the busted leg in the article.

I hope this helps someone else facing surgery.  Traci