And so it begins...

Options

well, it has officially begun.  Hubby is currently getting his first radiation treatment.  One down and 35 to go.  Tomorrow is the first of seven chemo treatments.  Not sure how I am feeling at the moment ...

Comments

• frokker68
    frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am one day behind.  My 1st

I am one day behind.  My 1st of 7 chemo treatments starts tomorrow.  Then 35 radiation treatments starts the next day.  I am a little nervous but really want to get started!! 

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    good luck

Chicklette,

Remember to be proactive with the nausea meds.

Matt

• MMDowns
    MMDowns Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Breathe and breathe

It's OK.  It really is.  Just remember the fight is on! It will go by quickly.  Take it day to day, that is all you can do.  Let yourself be distracted by the mundane. Take care of you, too.  It's OK.  We are here for you.  Like Matt said; tell your hubby to take the nausea meds and don't hesitate to communicate anything with the dr's and nurses.  That is their job.  Lots and lots of hugs!

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    Options
    frokker68 said:

I am one day behind.  My 1st

I am one day behind.  My 1st of 7 chemo treatments starts tomorrow.  Then 35 radiation treatments starts the next day.  I am a little nervous but really want to get started!! 

Your treatment plan sounds

Your treatment plan sounds similar.  I assume the chemos are low dose Cisplatin?  Day one went fine for us.  We will see how he feels after chemo tomorrow... best of luck to you!

• Chicklette
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

good luck

Chicklette,

Remember to be proactive with the nausea meds.

Matt

Yup!  We are all stocked up. 

Yup!  We are all stocked up.  He has to bring the "Emend" with him tomorrow.  The other medications are for days 2 and 3 and then "as needed".  I've also received advice about different creams to use and such to prevent "sunburn."  He was also told to rinse with saltwater frequently, too, to prevent sores.

• Chicklette
    Options
    MMDowns said:

Breathe and breathe

It's OK.  It really is.  Just remember the fight is on! It will go by quickly.  Take it day to day, that is all you can do.  Let yourself be distracted by the mundane. Take care of you, too.  It's OK.  We are here for you.  Like Matt said; tell your hubby to take the nausea meds and don't hesitate to communicate anything with the dr's and nurses.  That is their job.  Lots and lots of hugs!

Yes, the fight is on!  I am

Yes, the fight is on!  I am with him today and will be with him tomorrow for chemo day.  I'll head home after that and he will come home on Friday for the weekend.  Then from then on, I plan to travel down to his daughter's house every Monday after work and stay with him until Tuesday evening.  I think it will go by fast once we get into the routine.  I'll stay plenty busy between working and taking care of the kids and cats.  :)  I hope your hubby is getting better every day!

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    YUP

I had the same plan. Hydrate and Protien as much as possible while you can. Gain as much weight now because you will need it 6 weeks from now. The calm before the storm is when preparation happens. Fight the Fight.  Good Luck. Rest and Hydrate then repeat.

• MMDowns
    Options

Yes, the fight is on!  I am

Yes, the fight is on!  I am with him today and will be with him tomorrow for chemo day.  I'll head home after that and he will come home on Friday for the weekend.  Then from then on, I plan to travel down to his daughter's house every Monday after work and stay with him until Tuesday evening.  I think it will go by fast once we get into the routine.  I'll stay plenty busy between working and taking care of the kids and cats.  :)  I hope your hubby is getting better every day!

Sounds like you have a good

Sounds like you have a good plan ahead of you! You will be plenty busy with kids and cats! Cats are like having more kids. at least mine are. Hubby is good. He went back to work full time today. Eek! He did just fine but is tired. He needed to go back, he missed it too much. I can tell he's getting better everyday. Slowly but surely. Let us know how tomorrow goes! 

• Chicklette
    Options
    Yay!

I'm sitting in the waiting room with my husband and someone just rang the bell.  That made all kinds of emotions well up.  I'm so happy for them! (She had 44 treatments ... not sure what kind of cancer)

• mapdan
    mapdan Member Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Same here-- 35 Radiation 7 chemo

And you will get through it. Stay strong, listen to what these folks are saying. We have all been through it. There will be good days and really bad days but keep looking forward to the bell. One day at a time. Keep positive, we are all behind you.

• frokker68
    frokker68 Member Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Your treatment plan sounds

Your treatment plan sounds similar.  I assume the chemos are low dose Cisplatin?  Day one went fine for us.  We will see how he feels after chemo tomorrow... best of luck to you!

Yes, cisplatin.  First one

Yes, cisplatin.  First one was today.  Tomorrow is first rad.   My chemo  went very well.  Hope my rads do to.   And good luck to you as well.

Keith

• MMDowns
    Options

Yay!

I'm sitting in the waiting room with my husband and someone just rang the bell.  That made all kinds of emotions well up.  I'm so happy for them! (She had 44 treatments ... not sure what kind of cancer)

How did it go?  I wasn't able

How did it go?  I wasn't able to check in yesterday.  We had birthday celebrations for my stepson and myself.  We share a birthday :)  I thought about you guys several times though.  How is he feeling today? 

• Chicklette
    Options
    MMDowns said:

How did it go?  I wasn't able

How did it go?  I wasn't able to check in yesterday.  We had birthday celebrations for my stepson and myself.  We share a birthday :)  I thought about you guys several times though.  How is he feeling today? 

Happy Birthday!

I hope you had a wonderful time!  You certainly deserve it. :). So far so good with treatments.  The zorfaran is giving him a mild headache, but the doctor said that he can take Advil.  Other than that, he really hasn't felt the effects, yet.  I know it's still early, but we are taking every day as they come and so far they are good.  He said he could taste the cisplatin when he was being treated.  Yuck :p. But, we are still in high spirits and ready to get this over with.

• Chicklette
    Options
    frokker68 said:

Yes, cisplatin.  First one

Yes, cisplatin.  First one was today.  Tomorrow is first rad.   My chemo  went very well.  Hope my rads do to.   And good luck to you as well.

Keith

I hope it went well

I hope your first treatment went well for you!

• MMDowns
    Options

Happy Birthday!

I hope you had a wonderful time!  You certainly deserve it. :). So far so good with treatments.  The zorfaran is giving him a mild headache, but the doctor said that he can take Advil.  Other than that, he really hasn't felt the effects, yet.  I know it's still early, but we are taking every day as they come and so far they are good.  He said he could taste the cisplatin when he was being treated.  Yuck :p. But, we are still in high spirits and ready to get this over with.

That's good. I'm glad to hear

That's good. I'm glad to hear that so far so good. Poor guy, Im sure that tasting the cisplatin was not fun. It sounds like everything has started off on a positive way. Day by day is the way to go! 

We dis have a good day and it was welcomed! 

keep us updated. You're always in my prayers. Hugs! 

• Clon
    Clon Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2017 #17
    Options
    Nausea Meds make all the difference

I had my first Cisplatin a week ago Monday.  My nausea meds were Zofran and Compazine. The Tuesday after was bad and Wednesday was horrible.  I couldn't keep anything down and had dehydrated quickly. They put me on IV fluids the next two days.  Last Monday my oncologist switched me to Emend. Wow, what a difference.  The chemo gave me waves of fatigue, but the nausea was very tolerable.  I have 5 more chemo treatments to go, and I am not so nervous now.  

The radiation is going good.  I have finished 8 out of 35.  I have a little dry mouth and my taste buds are being affected.  I can't handle the taste of sweets, but I am doing good with bland and healthy foods.  Soups and gravies are my new best friends.

I hope your husbands treatments go smooth and it sounds like they have him on the right drugs.

• Chicklette
    Options
    Clon said:

Nausea Meds make all the difference

I had my first Cisplatin a week ago Monday.  My nausea meds were Zofran and Compazine. The Tuesday after was bad and Wednesday was horrible.  I couldn't keep anything down and had dehydrated quickly. They put me on IV fluids the next two days.  Last Monday my oncologist switched me to Emend. Wow, what a difference.  The chemo gave me waves of fatigue, but the nausea was very tolerable.  I have 5 more chemo treatments to go, and I am not so nervous now.  

The radiation is going good.  I have finished 8 out of 35.  I have a little dry mouth and my taste buds are being affected.  I can't handle the taste of sweets, but I am doing good with bland and healthy foods.  Soups and gravies are my new best friends.

I hope your husbands treatments go smooth and it sounds like they have him on the right drugs.

Emend

My husband is on emend, zofran and a few others.  Lorazepam as needed at night.  So far he's had no nausea.  I hope it stays that way.  I'm glad the emend is working for you.