Re-Ported Yesterday

pinky104
pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member

I got my second port put in yesterday, just about 7 years from the time I had my first inserted.  The interventional radiologist decided to put it in the opposite side from the first one.  Now, I'll have less problems with the seatbelt as a passenger but more as a driver.  Last time, I tried the sheepskin-covered seatbelt covers, which didn't work all that well.  My husband just bought one meant for kids that has a pillow attached to one side of it.  It's meant for little kids to take a nap on, but I hope it will cushion the pain from the seatbelt on the port for me.

I'm starting chemo on 5/17.  I'll be getting Carboplatin and Gemzar the first week, Gemzar alone the second week, and have the third week off.  I'm supposed to have to do this for about 6 months.  I had Carboplatin and Taxol seven years ago.  My GYN/onc said the Gemzar is "about equivalent" to the Taxol but without the side effect of all the hair loss (although I'll have thinning) and peripheral neuropathy I had last time.  I might still develop a little peripheral neuropathy from the Carboplatin, though. 

I've put paperwork in to go with Foundation One for genomic testing.  It could cost me up to $5,800 depending upon where I fall on their scale of household income.  My GYN/onc has never tried to get approval for someone with UPSC, so I'll be a guinea pig in his office on that front.  Both my mother and grandmother had breast cancer.  My mother had it twice in the same breast 10 years apart and my grandmother had it in both breasts at the same time.  In addition, my father had prostate cancer and his daughter by his first marriage (my half sister) died of lymphoma.  It seems like there's likely to be something genetically wrong in the family.  I already know I have one genetic mutation that causes hemochromatosis.  That has likely been the reason so many members of my father's family members had very bad hearts, but most died before the hemochromatosis genes were even discovered so we can't be sure.

Now, I'm still in pain from the 2 intestinal resections and abdominal wall repair plus now I have pain from the port placement.  Things have to get better soon. At least I'm no longer required to be on the low fiber diet which was awful.  I drove again on Thurs. for the first time in over a month, so that felt good to get a little freedom back.  I only have 4 Lovenox shots left to give myself.  Twenty-eight were far too many!  I'll be so glad to stop having the pain from them and all the weekly blood tests that go with them.  I'm sure I'll be switching those for other labs once I start my chemo.  The blood vessels are worn out already and I've barely started.  This too shall pass (I hope!).

Comments

• Hma4
    Hma4 Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2017 #2

Praying all goes better this time around.

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    edited May 2017 #3
    Praying for you Pinky!

Praying for you Pinky!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,368 Member
    pinky, you are truly a force

pinky, you are truly a force to be reckoned with  Your spirit is inspirational!

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Hang in There

Hang in there Pinky. 

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Pinky,

Pinky,

Sending your hugs and prayers!  I did the Carbo/Gemzar route.   The only real side effect was extreme fatigue approximately two days after treatment. No real hair loss (basically on my legs).  My best to you.

Kathy

Kathy

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Pinky, I'll be thinking about

Pinky, I'll be thinking about you on the 17th. I hope all goes well and you have minimal side effects. So sorry that you are having to deal with this again. Stay strong! We are with you every step of the way.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    You are one tough cookie,

You are one tough cookie, pinky. Wishing you all the best for a successful, and side effect free, treatment. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Kim

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    Pinky,

you are in our thoughts and prayers as you heal and get up for the 17th!  You can do this!!!  (((HUGS)))

• Lou Ann M
    Lou Ann M Member Posts: 996 Member
    Hugs and prayers

Hugs and prayers coming your way.  I hope this new treatment works for you.  Getting a second port is no fun.  I have my second one too.  I thought I was finished and had the first removed at the end of frontline treatment.  2 out of 3 of my doctors said it would be fine!  Seven months later I needed a port again.  The put mine in the same place as the old and it has been a problem from the beginning, it's tilted.  I am so glad that they put yours on the other side.

Lou Ann

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    edited May 2017 #11
    Thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.  And thank you, Kathy, for the warning about the extreme fatigue.  I had checked to see what I could find on here about Gemzar before, and one of your threads came up.  I'm glad to hear I probably won't need to wear my wig this time.  I tried it out a couple of days ago and the top is much too poofy for today's hairstyles.  I certainly won't mind not having to shave my legs!  I'm just starting to get my energy back after my painful surgery, so I don't really need the fatigue, but as long as it doesn't last too long, I should be fine.  I think if I made it through the Taxol treatment, I should be able to make it through this one.  I still haven't heard if the genomic study is being approved or how much it will cost me.  I pray I never have to go through another surgery like the last two cancer surgeries I've had, as I'm not sure I could handle another one, especially now that I'm older (68),  I hope the genomic testing gets approved so that I can fire the big guns at this cancer and get rid of it for good.

• Northwoodsgirl
    Northwoodsgirl Member Posts: 571
    edited May 2017 #12
    You are a strong and amazing woman..,

Pinky, just read your post and wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and praying for you as the 17th is approaching. You have been through so much that it brings tears to my ❤️ heart. Stay strong! ((HUG))

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Hugs and Good Wishes

Thinking of you LOTS, Pinky. You are, indeed, strong and tough and amazing....but I wish you didn't have to be right now; I wish this wasn't happening. On to a practical matter: I always have seatbelt problems and mine practically strangles me. My solution is to swipe a small (1") binder clip out of my desk and put the belt on like regular, then pull it out to 1-2" slack and clip it there so the belt can't retract entirely into it's holder. That 1" of slack doesn't compromise the safety, since my belts lock immediately if I brake hard, but it does keep me from being choked every time I drive. Maybe this would help you, too? 

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 789
    derMaus said:

Hugs and Good Wishes

Thinking of you LOTS, Pinky. You are, indeed, strong and tough and amazing....but I wish you didn't have to be right now; I wish this wasn't happening. On to a practical matter: I always have seatbelt problems and mine practically strangles me. My solution is to swipe a small (1") binder clip out of my desk and put the belt on like regular, then pull it out to 1-2" slack and clip it there so the belt can't retract entirely into it's holder. That 1" of slack doesn't compromise the safety, since my belts lock immediately if I brake hard, but it does keep me from being choked every time I drive. Maybe this would help you, too? 

Thank you for that great idea

Thank you for that great idea, derMaus. My seatbelt is constantly rubbing on my port so I'll be giving your idea a try on the way home from work tonight! Kim

• Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Good luck Pinky

Sounds like you have a tough road ahead for a while.  Hope all's well when you get to the other side.

Suzanne