Music therapy?

Options
HapB
HapB Member Posts: 527

It is a very rainy day here in New England and I am trying to put together some music to get me through the treatments. It really helped me the last time I had cancer treatments. Does anyone else do this? I would love some suggestions. So far, I have Sting, "Fragile", of course the Rocky theme, and Whitney Houston's " I Look To You". I need to add some more fight and inspirational songs. Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Teach76
    Teach76 Member Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Tell Your Heart to Beat Again

Tell Your Heart to Beat Again by Danny Gokey got me through many tough moments.  Also Breathe by Johnny Diaz.  They are spiritual, but the concepts clearly met me where I was and still do today.  If you are spiritual you might check to see if K-Love is in your area (radio station), or listen live online.

Peace,

kathy

• HapB
    Options
    Kathy

Thank you For the songs.  I am a long time listener of K-love and a life long believer.  I am going to add those songs to my list. Music really helps me deal with emotions and motivate me. 

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Songs to Inspire

Up by Shania Twain

Fight Song by Rachel Platten

Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

• HapB
    Options
    Great songs!
    Thanks!
  • 2nu2tnbc
    2nu2tnbc Member Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Jesus Loves Me.  This song

Jesus Loves Me.  This song from childhood was my anthem throughout treatment......simple, but VERY meaningful!

• HapB
    Options
    Found a great song..
    Fight Like a Girl.......check it out!
  • jessiesmom1
    edited May 2017 #8
    Options
    More Songs

It challenged my mind to think of songs that I found to be inspirational.  Here are a few more: Beautiful by Christina Aguilera; What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong; Raise Me Up by Josh Groban; Walking on Sunshine by Katrina and the Waves; It's a Beautiful Day by U2; Shake It Off by Taylor Swift; Don't Stop Believin' by Journey; Stronger by Britney Spears; Here Comes the Sun by the Beatles and Don't  Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin.

• HapB
    Options
    Jessiesmom

Those are great ones!  I love "It's a Wonderful World"!!! 

• jessiesmom1
    Options
    Brave

I just wanted to add BRAVE by Sarah Bareilles to the song list as well as HAPPY by Pharr ell Williams. 

IRENE 

• HapB
    Options

Brave

I just wanted to add BRAVE by Sarah Bareilles to the song list as well as HAPPY by Pharr ell Williams. 

IRENE 

Jessiesmom1

I just listened to Brave and I love it!  I forgot about Happy! Love it!   Also, I just listened to "Keep Your Head Up". 

Today, while having the Guide needle and then the dye injected, I was humming....There can be miracles. It made the doctors laugh. I am sure they didn't know what song I was humming, but one Dr. said, I just love the humming! Lol.  Music gets me through tough times!!!!! 

• jessiesmom1
    Options
    HapB said:

Jessiesmom1

I just listened to Brave and I love it!  I forgot about Happy! Love it!   Also, I just listened to "Keep Your Head Up". 

Today, while having the Guide needle and then the dye injected, I was humming....There can be miracles. It made the doctors laugh. I am sure they didn't know what song I was humming, but one Dr. said, I just love the humming! Lol.  Music gets me through tough times!!!!! 

Brave

If you enjoyed listening  to  the song you should check out the music video on YouTube. The people featured in it are more brave than I am. 

IRENE 

• HapB
    edited May 2017 #13
    Options
    Brave

Is that the one with the children in the hospital. Nothing makes me cry like that. I am 65 and I have had a good life, but children haven't had a chance and to have to go through so much at such a young age breaks my heart! I have known children with cancer who passed away, but fought cancer very hard. It is humbling! 

• kwok
    kwok Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I love hymns

Since my childhood, I've loved singing hymns.  I'm a piano teacher myself, but I rarely play by improv.  But I started doing that.  I'd take my favorite hymns and turn them into improvs and since I started a couple of weeks ago, I completed 2, and starting on a 3rd. one.  It completely absorbs my mind and takes me away from the side effects.  And the music itself is so enjoyable, its just lifts me up.  Then I record them and post them on FB for my studio and friends.  I find GREAT pleasure from doing it and so glad you do too - just keep doing it!  I can't suggest songs since everyone likes different kinds of music, but youu can buy lots of music on Amazon,  and also sheetmusicplus.com and of course just freebies if you google around!  All the best!

Irene

• HapB
    Options
    Irene

i love that you are doing this! Music helps me so much to get through things! I would love to hear your music!

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Music has gotten me through alot!

When I'm down and need a lift,  i listen to Break Every Chain. Many people have sung it,  but my favorite version is sung by Tasha Cobbs. Anything upbeat makes me happy!

• HapB
    Options
    Thanks!

Loved it! Let's keep them coming! I need more inspiration!!

• Apaugh
    Apaugh Member Posts: 850 Member
    edited May 2017 #18
    Options
    Music and Dance feed the soul

Dont Stop Believing by Journey and Sunshine in My Pocket by Justin Timberlake.  One day that Sunshine song came up and I just could not help myself, I had to dance in the middle of the chemo room.  It just gave me happy feet.  I entertained people and made them giggle.  My onc nurse, with a smile on her face, told me I was being a trouble maker and started dancing with me.  Whew!  that wore me out! 

Another one is Somewhere over the Rainbow by Patti Labell.  Oh she rocks that one.  It sooths you.

Hugs,

annie

• HapB
    Options
    Apaugh said:

Music and Dance feed the soul

Dont Stop Believing by Journey and Sunshine in My Pocket by Justin Timberlake.  One day that Sunshine song came up and I just could not help myself, I had to dance in the middle of the chemo room.  It just gave me happy feet.  I entertained people and made them giggle.  My onc nurse, with a smile on her face, told me I was being a trouble maker and started dancing with me.  Whew!  that wore me out! 

Another one is Somewhere over the Rainbow by Patti Labell.  Oh she rocks that one.  It sooths you.

Hugs,

annie

Dancing in the chemo room...

LOL.... I love that!!!!  I will have to add that one!!! 

• sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    edited May 2017 #20
    Options
    nspired36 said:

Music has gotten me through alot!

When I'm down and need a lift,  i listen to Break Every Chain. Many people have sung it,  but my favorite version is sung by Tasha Cobbs. Anything upbeat makes me happy!

Hi nspired36.  That is my jam

Hi nspired36.  That is my jam!!!  I have a 50 minute commute to work and yesterday was a very emotional day for me.  I listened to that same song over and over again until I reach my stop.  I literally made it to the car and broke down in tears but after that good cry, I slept very good!

• nspired36
    nspired36 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    sparkle1 said:

Hi nspired36.  That is my jam

Hi nspired36.  That is my jam!!!  I have a 50 minute commute to work and yesterday was a very emotional day for me.  I listened to that same song over and over again until I reach my stop.  I literally made it to the car and broke down in tears but after that good cry, I slept very good!

I love music,   but

I love music,   but something about gospel music really touches me especially when I'm feeling down. It really lifts me up