36 Rads

Options

Just an observation... seems the standard is 35 rads.  I wonder why they are having my husband do 36 .  I don't know how many GYs.

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    how many?

Chicklette,

I had 35 and I was always a pleasure to be around.  Were you?

Just kidding, if it takes 36, than 36 it shall be.  Some have less than 30 (what is up with that).

Maybe, this is an indicator of things to come and your husband will have less side effects.  I do hope so.

Time for a snack.

Bye.

Matt

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    edited May 2017 #3
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

how many?

Chicklette,

I had 35 and I was always a pleasure to be around.  Were you?

Just kidding, if it takes 36, than 36 it shall be.  Some have less than 30 (what is up with that).

Maybe, this is an indicator of things to come and your husband will have less side effects.  I do hope so.

Time for a snack.

Bye.

Matt

Of course!

Everyone loves the pleasure of my company :). My husband will start treatments on Monday so we will see how he does.  It could just be the standard for this particular doctor or hospital.  It's a major cancer center.  They also never put in feeding tubes as a general standard.  They said that 80% of their patients don't end up needing them.  Of course, if you do, they will get you one.  I know many hospitals just put them in before you even start treatment.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    Options
    statistics

That leaves 20% who do.

Well, I am 100% behind you with confidence

Matt

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Rads

Your chemo and rads work to enhance each other.  So when your chemo ends, usually its about 3-5 days of radiation left. I truly don't believe the # of rads differ to much. If your getting 7 weeks of chemo you are probably going end up with at least 7 weeks of radiation. Heck maybe the last one is the important one. Don't sweat the small stuff.  

• Kapital
    Kapital Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    33 rads

My husband had 33 days of IMRT,  Gy of 66, along with 3 doses of concurrent Carboplatin. He had stage IV tonsil cancer, HPV and P16 positive. I think the dose/days is based on the pathology report as to the type of tumor, the extent of the cancer's spread and the chemo of choice. This, along with your oncologist's prefrences and the equipment used, would explain the variation in days of treatment. I would trust the oncology team as to what totals work best for your particular situation. We are 2 years out and grateful to be NED. Best of luck with your treatment

• hlrowe
    hlrowe Member Posts: 80
    edited May 2017 #7
    Options
    I believe max is 70 Gy so

I believe max is 70 Gy so they adjust the dosage accordingly up to that limit. It is all computer simulated by a physicist and is tailored to your husband's situation.

• Andy13460
    Andy13460 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Number of Rads

Its nearly always the total GY they want to put into you at 2Gy a session so anywhere from 66 to 74 (33 to 37)

• DarcyS
    DarcyS Member Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2017 #9
    Options
    50 rads

My husband had 50 rads.  Two a day while in patient with a concurrent chemo IV for 5 days over a time period of 10 weeks. He did not have a feeding tube.  I don't know what is standard, but this is what the University of Chicago recommended.  He is now 4+ years post treatment and doing great.

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    edited May 2017 #10
    Options
    # of Rads

I did 46 rounds of Rads for a total of 72 Gy.  Based upon tumor size, location etc. determines the number of sessions and total dosage needed.