5 more to go, questions

Options
Tabbysmom12
Tabbysmom12 Member Posts: 8

Hi everyone, new to the forum and thank you for all who have posted such valuable info. I have 5 more radiation treatments and today they started come down. My skin is in pretty bad shape this week for first time. He actually said if it were last week we would break but so close we are going to push through. Doc wants me to start oxycodone for pain today, but also said it causes constipation. He suggests 3 colace daily and 2 senecot  nightly. Did anyone else follow this regimen? Does it cause massive diarrhea? I am also doing the domeboro soaks 3x daily and aquafor with lidocaine. 

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Tabbysmom12

Welcome to this site.  I'm glad you are almost done with your radiation treatment, but sorry that you are having serious skin issues.  That was the case for me towards the end as well.  I really can't speak from personal experience about the constipation and what I did for it because I had the opposite--severe diarrhea.  I hope someone else will chime in and give you some advice, based on their own experience.  I do know that the oxy can cause constipation, which you do not want.  While diarrhea isn't good either, I hope you will find a happy medium, so to speak.  Hang in there--you're almost done.  You can do this!

Martha

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Tabbysmom

By all means get on the pain meds, it will make life bearable! If you currently have diarrhea I would take a wait and see approach on the stuff for constipation. At that stage of the game I was literally on the toilet every 15 minutes around the clock in spite of being on morphine, oxycodone, and three different diarrhea meds. I've always been more prone to diarrhea and never constipation, I think how you tend to be before treatment normally makes a difference. Hang in there, the end is in sight!

• Tabbysmom12
    Tabbysmom12 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for the support

Thank you for the support Martha. I did take the pain meds today and it definitely helped by taking the edge off. I tend to always be more on the constipated side than the other way so you may be right Molly as I haven't had diarrhea yet at all. I'm so excited to be counting the days , 3 more woohoo! 

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Wow

I'm glad you got on the pain meds and am wowed by the fact you have no diarrhea yet. It goes to show even though we go they the same treatment we all have our individual differences! I hope you don't get constipation with the pain meds, but since you haven't had diarrhea yet it wouldn't be surprising if you did get constipated, which is a fearful thought with how sore you are now. You probably know your body better than anyone so you are the best one to make an educated guess about how to prevent it- you know what has worked for you in the past.