NEW Discussion on Brachytherapy (seeds)

ginatom
ginatom Member Posts: 44 Member

Hi everyone,

I'm sneaking up on my treatment decisions, and I was told that UCLA might do brachytherapy INSTEAD of external beam if the tumor is of a certain size and shape.  My MRI isn't until 5/5/17, so I don't know that information yet.  When I get it I'll be sending it to them to determine whether I am eligible.  If it can be done it seems like it would be WAY more comfortable than the daily 30-40 trips, driving while sitting ON the very part to be irradiated.  I'd be driving 40 minutes each way as I live north of L.A.  It seems like it's 1 or 2 or 3 visits and done in the hospital.  Not sure how the chemo would be combined exactly.

Anyway, I'm writing to see if anyone DID this or has any more INFO than I have so far.  I will share as I find out more.  Maybe it can help more than one of us.  If they have it at UCLA it's probably not the only place.  It's very common for prostate cancer, of course, but used for others as well.  There's a little video if you go to youtube and put in UCLA and Brachytherapy.  (By the way, no, I don't have any connection to UCLA and am not promoting anything - just hoping to help myself and anyone on these boards).

Thanks, and love to all, Jeana

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Jeana

I know very little about brachytherapy for treatment of anal cancer.  My only knowledge of it comes from communicating with someone in the past who received it at the end of conventional treatment of chemo/radiation.  I presume it was done as extra insurance that the treatment would be suuccessful.  I hope you can find out more about it and possibly being an option for you if indicated.  Please keep us posted as you are able.  I wish you all the best!

Martha

• ginatom
    edited May 2017 #3
    Yeah I've seen that use as

Yeah I've seen that use as well.  Yes I'll keep in touch about it. Thanks! 

• tanda
    tanda Member Posts: 174 Member
    mp327 said:

Jeana

I know very little about brachytherapy for treatment of anal cancer.  My only knowledge of it comes from communicating with someone in the past who received it at the end of conventional treatment of chemo/radiation.  I presume it was done as extra insurance that the treatment would be suuccessful.  I hope you can find out more about it and possibly being an option for you if indicated.  Please keep us posted as you are able.  I wish you all the best!

Martha

jeana

yes, I have a friend who was treated for cervical cancer; she had chemoradiation(external radiation) and then about 3 days of brachytherapy...which I think is an inpatient procedure.  

According to some patients who have been treated at MDAnderson, they began stretching with dilators a few days or weeks before radiation began and then the dilators were inserted at each treatment and kept in place during the treatment.  The idea is to help prevent vaginal stenosis .

• ginatom
    edited May 2017 #5
    tanda said:

jeana

yes, I have a friend who was treated for cervical cancer; she had chemoradiation(external radiation) and then about 3 days of brachytherapy...which I think is an inpatient procedure.  

According to some patients who have been treated at MDAnderson, they began stretching with dilators a few days or weeks before radiation began and then the dilators were inserted at each treatment and kept in place during the treatment.  The idea is to help prevent vaginal stenosis .

I'm trying to figure out why

I'm trying to figure out why they can't put something in the vagina to block the rays - I mean there's a hole right there - put some lead in it.  I'll ask.  My first rad onc visit is Tuesday, though I also plan one with the UCLA people who specialize in the Brachy.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited May 2017 #6
    Lead

At first I the the blocking idea would work and then realized you would be blocking the radiation path- they zap you from all different angles. Nowadays the collateral damage is supposed to be less than when radiation treatment was first used. Yikes!

• ginatom

Lead

At first I the the blocking idea would work and then realized you would be blocking the radiation path- they zap you from all different angles. Nowadays the collateral damage is supposed to be less than when radiation treatment was first used. Yikes!

Yes, of course, you are right

Yes, of course, you are right.  Although it might work with the seeds.