Happy Days star Erin Moran died April 22 from throat cancer

Bart T
Bart T Member Posts: 62 Member

I just came across this article which appears on MSN.com today.

“Happy Days star Erin Moran died April 22 from throat cancer that had spread to other parts of her body. A few days after her death, her widower Steven Fleischmann shared an open letter detailing Moran’s diagnosis and battle with cancer, Variety reported. Moran's former co-star Scott Baio posted the letter to his Facebook wall.

According to Fleischmann's letter, on November 23, 2016, Moran woke up and found a dime-size blood stain on her pillowcase, which she initially thought was because she'd bitten her tongue. When the blood on her pillowcase re-appeared several times over the next few weeks, Fleischmann says he finally took a flashlight to look in her mouth to see what was going on. Her left tonsils were incredibly swollen. “I thought it was tonsillitis,” he wrote. The couple went to an ear, nose, and throat doctor, who took a biopsy and diagnosed Moran with stage IV squamous cell carcinoma. Moran underwent radiation and chemotherapy, but the cancer was too aggressive and she died just a few months later. Fleischmann says that the coroner told him that her throat cancer had spread to her spleen and even to her brain. “It got bad so fast,” he wrote.”

The article goes on in some detail about oral cancers and here is the full link:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/healthtrending/look-out-for-these-signs-of-oral-and-throat-cancer/ar-BBAuFBI?li=BBnb7Kz.

One more victim claimed by this retched disease.  I suspect we’ll be seeing more stories about her disease and hopefully more people will become attune to the early symptoms of oral cancers. 

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    unhappy days

Bart T,

Very interesting, thank you.

You just never know exactly how aggressive H&N cancer(s) can be?   There are many success stories  on here, but if you have been around awhile you know the other side too.

I read that Ulysses S. Grant had H&N cancer.

Matt

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2017 #3
    CivilMatt said:

unhappy days

Bart T,

Very interesting, thank you.

You just never know exactly how aggressive H&N cancer(s) can be?   There are many success stories  on here, but if you have been around awhile you know the other side too.

I read that Ulysses S. Grant had H&N cancer.

Matt

Grant: cigars and whisky.

Grant: cigars and whisky.  He wrote his memoirs during his last year, in pain the whole time.  I seem to recall Mark Twain helped him with it. 

...Yep, googled it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Memoirs_of_Ulysses_S._Grant

Nasty way to die.