A new member with Stage III

Options
EissetB
EissetB Member Posts: 133

Second session of FOLFOX yesterday, with sensitive glands again. My chest and shoulder are in pain too. Didn't get a good sleep last night.

Comments

• Joan M
    Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  The meds they give you make it hard to sleep.  I think its the steroids.  Hope the chemo works well for  you. 

I was diagnosed at Stage IV, March 2016.  I had 8 rounds of Oxaliplatin, Avastin, and 5FU, and then went on Avastin and Xeloda for maintainence chemo in July 2016.  I had ablation on a tumor in my left lobe of liver in January 2017, and just had theraspheres (raidioactive beads) injected into the right lobe of my liver last Thursday.  

I didn't find this site for 8 months after my diagnosis and have learned so much about different treatments and how to manage side effects.  Also have been inspired to keep on fighting when I see the people on this site who have survived for years.  It is good you connected here. 

The chemo sucks, but you will get through this!

God Bless you!

Joan       

• EissetB
    Options
    Thank you, Joan. You're a

Thank you, Joan. You're a trooper! God bless you. We will all survived from the beast, and we will enjoy life with our loving family and friends. I always believe in miracle, that He will not forsake us nor abandon us. 

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chemo and side effects

The first night of my chemo treatment, I basically don't sleep at all.  They give me 3 steroid pills and one nausea pill prior to starting my avastin and folfiri chemo treatment - then 1 more steroid and nausea pill before bed.  Then steroid and nausea 2x next day.  A lot of stuff!  They say it is the steroids that cause you to be wired and not sleep that first night, and even hard to sleep the next. I take a sleeping pill Temazapam to relax and help me to sleep, but does not help the first night of treatment.  Have just had to get used to not sleeping the first night.  I stay home the 2nd day anyway because I hate going out with the bottle attached - bulky and worried about tubes catching on something.  Best of luck to you.  I have found that I take the meds recommended by my Onco - for instance I developed terrible heartburn - tried to use just Tums, but got Rx for pantoloc, which is much more effective. 

• blessed39
    blessed39 Member Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    blessed39

I was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer and now have been in remission for several years.

My cancer experience has so changed my life that I have written a short story entitled "How I

survived stage four colon cancer." I pray that my experirnce will brighten your spirit and convince

you that this thing can be beaten. If you want to read my story, just go to my page and the story is on my blog.

You are certainly on the right site and you will find many friends and much help. We pull for each other.  God bless

blessed39

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I didn't have thos issues, I

I didn't have thos issues, I'm sorry your dealing with this. I hope it gets better soon.

Jan

• AhleecFightsSRCC
    AhleecFightsSRCC Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thinking of you in your

Thinking of you in your journey.  I too, just finished my 2nd FOLFOX round for stage 3 SRCC. Yes, the steroids will keep you up.  3 other antinausea meds make me sleep constantly after, but without them, blehk :(  I've been trying to bslance.  The heartburn has been bad as some one noted.  I craved papaya and mango and are a bunch and was better.  Looked it up and apparently there are enzymes that help heartburn in papaya.  Licorice tea is good too.  I found busy work while amped up helps a lot, lol. I used steroid time to clean my room and make meals since I crash after.  Wishing you the best! 

• AhleecFightsSRCC
    AhleecFightsSRCC Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Joan- What are your favorites

Joan- What are your favorites learned in managing side effects of chemo? Would love to hear more. Thank you and keep fighting!! 

• EissetB
    Options
    Since I am so new yet (will

Since I am so new yet (will be on 3rd infusion on the 12th of the month) I can't find any solutions for the side effects I had been experiencing but to freak out and get so nervous. Right now I just noticed my hair is falling out!! I am so scared!!

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Hair

Bald is beautiful!!!  Your hair will come back and you will just laugh  about it when you are NED(no evidence of disease).

• EissetB
    Options
    Thank you, Danker!! I will

Thank you, Danker!! I will try my very best to calm myself down and not to freak out so much. Although I know it's so hard for me to even try it :)

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited May 2017 #12
    Options
    Hi EssiatB

I cannot help you much with the chemo regime you are on. When i was having chemo it was via a canula in the back of my hand every week for 48 weeks . Every 2nd week it was enhanced with 9 tablets of a terrible drug called levamisole . It was banned in 2001 for often fatal side effects. I was stage 3c into 6 nodes. This past january I commenced year 20 still cancer free. In my opinion if it is causing hair loss then the chemo is  probably working well for you as hair grows rapidly like cancer cells. There is no gentle way to beat cancer , you just do what you have to do. Hugs ron.

• EissetB
    Options
    Thanks, Ron. Your comment

Thanks, Ron. Your comment makes me feel better. I just talked to an owner of a beauty shop in our area about a black wig for me. I have dark black hair. With the wig on I wouldn't need to dye my hair until next year once I get well. Hopefully. :) Hugs to all