Questions regarding neck dissection and dental extractions

Options

Hello everyone, hope all is well! 

Anyways quick question, I'm having a bi lateral modified radical neck dissection and will need 15 teeth extracted prior to rads/chemo that are following the neck surgery. The surgery scheduler called me the other day and told me my surgery date was going to be on the 17th. I just realized I also had an appt that day to begin my extractions at the dental clinic at the cancer hospital im at. It's a multidiciplinary team so they are all communicat with each other in regards to my treatment. My question was has anyone ever had dental extractions done while under antestesia for neck dissection? That would be really nice considering I hate getting teeth pulled and would be nice to be out for that. I've gathered from google that it has at least been suggested in literature online. Thank you in advance for any input. 

-cheers 

Comments

• sherylcv13
    sherylcv13 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    My husband had all of his

My husband had all of his lower teeth extracted during the same surgery in which he also had a bilateral neck dissection, near total glossectomy and reconstruction with a flap from his left thigh.  His was a long and extensive surgery but it was nice to have the extractions done at the same time.  One of his surgeons is a maxilofacial surgeon AND a dentist.

Hope everything goes well for you :)

• mkwalters88
    mkwalters88 Member Posts: 12
    Options

My husband had all of his

My husband had all of his lower teeth extracted during the same surgery in which he also had a bilateral neck dissection, near total glossectomy and reconstruction with a flap from his left thigh.  His was a long and extensive surgery but it was nice to have the extractions done at the same time.  One of his surgeons is a maxilofacial surgeon AND a dentist.

Hope everything goes well for you :)

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question:) hope all is well with your husband. 

• sherylcv13
    sherylcv13 Member Posts: 23
    Options

Thank you

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question:) hope all is well with your husband. 

Thanks....he's 3 months post

Thanks....he's 3 months post surgery.  Had chemo/rads last Fall but didn't get all of the cancer.  Slowly buy surely he's coming along. 

• mkwalters88
    mkwalters88 Member Posts: 12
    Options

thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband, thank you again for taking time to respond.