Options
Joan M
Joan M Member Posts: 409 Member

Comments

• Joan M
    Options
    I am having Radio Active Bead

I am having Radio Active Bead Therapy on April 27, 2017 to kill off the tumors in the right lobe of my liver.  For anyone not familiar with the treatment, they inject microscopic beads that are infused with radiation into your liver through the femoral artery; the beads get stuck in the tumors and emit radiation up to 60 days and kill the tumors while sparing the good liver tissue.  I have not had any surgery or radiation as part of my cancer treatment due to the number and location of the tumors.  I am happy this targeted procedure is available to help rid my body of cancer!    

If anyone on this site has had this procedure done, I would like to know what to expect as far as recovery process, and how successful it was for you.  My doctor said I will have flu-like symptoms for a couple of weeks and difficulty walking upstairs for a few days.  I had the pre-procedure angiogram last month and was pretty sore for a week, but otherwise tolerated it.

I would also appreciate for prayers for a successful outcome.

Thank you!

Joan M  

• nateswife
    nateswife Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Joan M said:

I am having Radio Active Bead

I am having Radio Active Bead Therapy on April 27, 2017 to kill off the tumors in the right lobe of my liver.  For anyone not familiar with the treatment, they inject microscopic beads that are infused with radiation into your liver through the femoral artery; the beads get stuck in the tumors and emit radiation up to 60 days and kill the tumors while sparing the good liver tissue.  I have not had any surgery or radiation as part of my cancer treatment due to the number and location of the tumors.  I am happy this targeted procedure is available to help rid my body of cancer!    

If anyone on this site has had this procedure done, I would like to know what to expect as far as recovery process, and how successful it was for you.  My doctor said I will have flu-like symptoms for a couple of weeks and difficulty walking upstairs for a few days.  I had the pre-procedure angiogram last month and was pretty sore for a week, but otherwise tolerated it.

I would also appreciate for prayers for a successful outcome.

Thank you!

Joan M  

Hi Joan, 

Hi Joan, 

i have had had a similar procedure called TACE for short (trans arterial chemo embolization). It is different from what you're having because TACE uses chemo drugs rather than radiation. Maybe you could find some results on this site by searching for some of the other names of your procedure, such as SIR-Spheres, SIRT and Yttrium-90. 

Best of luck,

Amy

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Haven't had

this procedure but sending you best wishes for an easy time of it and a  speedy recovery.  

P

• Joan M
    Options
    Thank you!

Thank you, I will search as you suggested.  I had the procedure yesterday and have been really tired and nauseaus.  I am on steroids for 5 days to reduce inflamation, have an antacid to prevent ulcers (which is common with the procedure), and Zofran for anti nausea meds. 

Worst part is I can't hold my grandchildren or sleep with my husband for 3 days.  Apparently the radiation can escape through my body. Flu like symptons are common for a couple of weeks. The doctor said I should feel better in a few days, so hope he's right!  I was feeling really good prior to the procedure and he was happy to see me doing well going into it.  He believes this will take care of the tumors in my liver. 

He wants to wait a couple months before doing another scan to see what else needs to be done.   Hope this takes care of my liver.  Next he will focus on any tumors remaining in my lungs.  He said they are so small, the chemo should kill them off.  Also said it's hard to do abalation or surgery on such small tumors. 

I continue to pray for that day where I am NED!  The others on this site who have achieved remission and even been cured give me hope that I will get there!

Thank you all for your good wishes, and God bless you!

Joan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    So good to hear from you, Joan

I am glad that you are through the surgery part, and pray that you heal quickly. Pray also that those little beads do their job, and blast you tumours to Hell. 

Think how wonderful it will be when you can hold your little grandchildren. All the more special for having to wait. 

Just think 'I will be NED' 'I will be NED' and before you know it, you will be NED.  

Take good care of yourself as you heal and move forward with treatments. 

TRU

• Joan M
    Options
    nateswife said:

Hi Joan, 

Hi Joan, 

i have had had a similar procedure called TACE for short (trans arterial chemo embolization). It is different from what you're having because TACE uses chemo drugs rather than radiation. Maybe you could find some results on this site by searching for some of the other names of your procedure, such as SIR-Spheres, SIRT and Yttrium-90. 

Best of luck,

Amy

Hi Amy,

I am curious as to why you chose the chemo over radiation?  How long did it take you to recover, and also have you had follow up CT scans to see how effective the procedure was?

I chose the radiation because the doctor said it is more effective at killing the tumors. He also said his patients that use the chemo option have more side effects, and also some lose their hair again.  I was concerned about the glass beads staying in my liver for the rest of my life.  I hope they won't set off the alarms at airports.  (My dr said they won't). 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Joan

• Joan M
    Options
    Thank you Tru! 

Thank you Tru! 

Sudnay would be the third day, so I will get to see the grandkids either tomorrow or Monday.  They are sure sweet! 

I am praying and waiting patiently for that next scan!  I usually have them every 3 months (the last one in January), but wont have one now for a couple more months.  Have you known others on this site who had this procedure? 

I've been resting alot, maybe too much.  Feeling dizzy & tired today, and a little sore.  There is some pressure in my abdomen, probably the inflamation the doctor was concerned about.  I have been taking the steroids and zofran, also an antacid. I am trying to walk around the house a bit just to keep the blood flowing, and thought it would help with the dizziness.  

I may try going outside for a bit and see if the sunshine helps.

Thank you for all your support and advice!

Joan 

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options
    Joan M said:

Thank you Tru! 

Thank you Tru! 

Sudnay would be the third day, so I will get to see the grandkids either tomorrow or Monday.  They are sure sweet! 

I am praying and waiting patiently for that next scan!  I usually have them every 3 months (the last one in January), but wont have one now for a couple more months.  Have you known others on this site who had this procedure? 

I've been resting alot, maybe too much.  Feeling dizzy & tired today, and a little sore.  There is some pressure in my abdomen, probably the inflamation the doctor was concerned about.  I have been taking the steroids and zofran, also an antacid. I am trying to walk around the house a bit just to keep the blood flowing, and thought it would help with the dizziness.  

I may try going outside for a bit and see if the sunshine helps.

Thank you for all your support and advice!

Joan 

Y90

A dear friend of mine here on the forum had Y90, but sadly it did not work for her and she passed away within weeks. I'm sure there are others, and hopefully they will post happier news. 

When the insurance told me they wouldn't cover my liver ablation, my surgeon was thinking Y90, but then he worked the insurance over and I had the ablation. 

I wonder if they pumped you with air when doing the surgery? That causes allot of pressure that works its way out, usually out of the shouldre area. 

Just be real good to yourself and take it easy these first few weeks. 

TRU