Still have neuropathy from Folfox/Oxy chemo

Hi, I am new to the forum, I was diagnosed Nov 2015 with a tumor in the rectum. Had 28 traditions, 6 weeks of 24/7 chemo, surg resection of tumor with temp illiostomy (for 12 weeks) then take down, then 12 sessions of Folfox/Oxy plus others that I don't remember currently.  I had many of challenges others have experienced and detailed here on the forum. I still have to manage my BMs with diet and OTC Immodium. I also have quit a bit of neuropathy in my feet...both have the feeling of numbness, similar to how your mouth would feel after visiting the dentist. Anyone else have any neuropathy from Oxy treatmen?

Comments

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Yes.

I was told that it could take up to 2 years for neuropathy to subside IF IT WAS GOING TO DO SO.  After 2 years, it's likely permanent. I still have some neuropathy in my feet 9 years later. It isn't debilitating; acupressure insoles help tremendously.  I also have lost some of my fine motor skills.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Yes for me, also

I had treatment back in 2013 and still suffer from neuropathy in my lower legs, feet and fingertips. Its an odd feeling, and is not something that I am used to, even now. I can live with it though, as it does not hurt, and I am able to hike around with minimal problems. 

Welcome to the forum.  I hope you will recieve some comfort knowing that others here suffer as you do,

TRU

• Tunadog
    Tunadog Member Posts: 235 Member
    After my Oxaliplatin x Xeloda...

After my Oxaliplatin x Xeloda I got Neuropathy in my hands and feet, that was July 2016.

The Neuropathy in my hands is almost gone, my feet are lagging behind.

I can feel things getting better everyday.

Best of luck to you 

• danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    edited April 2017 #5
    Immodium

You may find LOMOTIL  more effective and easier to take than immodium.  Get a dx for it and give it a try.  Good Luck!!

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited April 2017 #6
    It's been over two years

It's been over two years since I had the oxy and I still have neuropathy in my feet. Just the bottoms. It feels like walkig on a roguh surface. Mostly I don't even notice it anymore and it has improved over the past two years. It used to feel like they were asleep. Then I wnt through a period where they felt kind of prickly. I'm pretty much used to it now and it doesn't bother me.

Jan

• Robert2015
    Robert2015 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks!

to all of you who responded...glad I found this site!