3 wks pst treatment :dizziness

Options
Dominiq
Dominiq Member Posts: 13

Hello

i am 3 weeks post treatment and I doing relatively well. However I am experiencing lots of dizziness when changing position. I had IV fluids 3 times during the treatment. I had one iv fluids last Monday and it did not help the dizziness. I am not dehydrated. I also have nausea and headaches which I believe are caused by the dizziness. The oncologist said that my body's circular system is adjusting to my body losing 10 pounds (I went from 116 to 1 106). He told me to stay active. My blood pressure sitting 97 over 50 which is lower than what it used to be. Oncologist also noticed my pulse went up. Has anyone experienced this? How long does it last ? Thank you Dominique

Comments

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Dizzy

Thats a pretty low blood pressure. Google "orthostatic hypotension" and see if that looks like what you are experiencing. Basically it's a dizzy feeling when you go from lying to sitting or sitting to standing due to your blood pressure dropping. Are you on any BP meds? I would guess as you recover you will probably stop having this.

• TraceyUSA
    TraceyUSA Member Posts: 316
    Options
    Dominiq

I experienced dizziness like that during & after treatment.  I have lower blood pressure like that too, was under 100 lbs. by the end of treatment.  I attributed most of the dizziness to being anemic during that time.  My red & white counts were very low but gradually came back up & the dizziness went away too.  I cannot remember how long until it completely went away but my counts did not come into the normal ranges until 6-12 months post treatment.   Increasing protein & iron rich foods  in your diet may be helpful.

-Tracey

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Dominiq

Like Tracey, I became anemic during treatment and experienced dizziness.  My medical oncologist prescribed iron pills for me, but I couldn't tolerate them.  Anemia may be causing your symptom of dizziness--please discuss this with your doctor.

• Dominiq
    Dominiq Member Posts: 13
    Options
    mp327 said:

Dominiq

Like Tracey, I became anemic during treatment and experienced dizziness.  My medical oncologist prescribed iron pills for me, but I couldn't tolerate them.  Anemia may be causing your symptom of dizziness--please discuss this with your doctor.

Thank you

Thank you for all the replies. I discussed it with my oncologist and he thought it was due to my body adjusting to new weight etc. He also said the antibiotics he had prescribed as a prevention the week my immune system was so low couldvhave these side effects. My rbc are really low and he did say it would take a while for them to come back.

I took a multivitamin, vitamin C and iron just in case this last week. I kept up 2 litters of water a day and forced myself to go for a 20 minute daily walk. The dizziness is going away. Lately, I usually work from home on a part time schedule. I am now going to work and almost working a regular schedule. I feel very lucky. I finished treatments April 3rd. Thank you to everyone on this board. You kept me strong.

Dominique

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    mp327 said:

Dominiq

Iron pills

There is a transdermal patch for iron supplement if that might help.  If it's your stomach that bothers you from the iron pills, the patch will bypass that and go directly to your bloodsream.

Wis

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    edited April 2017 #7
    Options
    BP

My BP is 90/50 since tx 6 1/2 years ago.  The heart rate is what's most important and that is between 60 and 68.  my pressure used to go well below these numbers until I learned how to control it with salt and trying to stabilize my weight.  I do experience a lot of dizziness especially when getting up.  Be careful!

• Kmessier
    Kmessier Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Bp

I'm doing chemo/radiation again got mets but during the first tre and now my Bp is either too high or too low and I too have been anemic in the first and now but orthostatic Bp and anemia was the reason I was told I got and get dizzy. I don't know if that h any but I thought I'd chime in. My prayers are with you that you get better and that your docs can help.

• ginatom
    ginatom Member Posts: 44 Member
    edited May 2017 #9
    Options
    Bp

I"m so sorry to hear you have to go through that treatment again.  Please stay in touch here.  We are with you.

• Wisteria83
    Wisteria83 Member Posts: 160
    Options
    Dizziness

You could be getting dizzy because of low blood sugar too.  Drink a glass of orange juice, that will bring your blood sugar up quickly, or you can also buy the glucose tabs for cheap over the counter and they work plenty fast, and they are easily portable.  In your car, purse, pocket, etc.  Stay hydrated.