Renewed gagging, nausia and lack of appetite 2 months after treatment completed.

Options
Neptune032701
Neptune032701 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2017 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hello,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer this past year. On Feb  24th 2017 I Completed my 35 radiation  treatments with 3 Chemo sessions. Now its been 2 full months since my last radiation treatment. Very slowly after about 5 weeks my pain was getting managable and I was eating more foods (was able to avoid feeding tube). I even started tasting things although it was still a fraction of what it used to be before the treatments. I felt like I was getting better. The past two weeks have been a big step back. Suddenly I'm feeling nascious off and on all day. I have this aweful taste in my mouth. Lost what little taste buds I had regained and worst of all my gag reflex is suddenly crazy sensitive. Sometimes talking, sneezing, or gargling can now make me vomit. Throat doesnt hurt much, but it feels odd. Not sure what happend. Was wondering if anyone on here has heard of any similiar issues or what I can do ro help it. 

Comments

• LorettaMarshall
    LorettaMarshall Member Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Neptune~Hopefully You can find some relief soon!

Hello Neptune

Although many of us on the EC forum have had experience with coughing, gagging and nausea, it has usually come from the chemo treatments.  I’m sorry to hear that you have Stage IV throat cancer.  When my husband was at UPMC we met up with a fellow from Guam who had come to be treated because he had a recurrence of tongue cancer.  He had already had one portion of his tongue removed.  And although we were there for cancer treatment as well, we really felt sorry for him because he couldn’t eat.  And so my husband felt a little awkward as we all sat at the large dining room table at the Shadyside Family House.  My husband was eating one of his first meals after a successful MIE surgery.   It consisted of 2 tablespoonsful of Cream of Wheat.  But thank God that was only temporary.  Now he enjoys eating anything he wants, but just not huge platefuls at one time. 

( And on another note, there were so many people coming to UPMC for treatment, that we came home feeling "blessed" that we only had "Esophageal Cancer Stage III" cancer to contend with.  That still holds true today.  There are so many worse ways to suffer than what both my husband and I have had to deal with.)

Now Neptune, I know you’ve said that you’ve avoided the feeding tube so far.  Just want to know if you’ve heard of the “J” tube, so named because it is surgically inserted into the second section of the small intestine.  I’ve seen videos of people using their G-tubes that have been inserted into the stomach, and although it beats not being able to eat at all, for Esophageal Cancer patients that have had surgery, usually they have a “J” tube inserted.  In an Esophagectomy, the stomach is spliced in such a way that it is formed into a new gastric tube and is substituted for the cancerous Esophagus which has to be removed.  So that’s why I’m familiar with the “J” tube.  I don’t know what your options will be in the future, but if I were you, if and when it comes time to have some type of a feeding tube inserted, I would certainly ask the doctor about the different kinds of feeding tubes you might have to choose from.

I have located some sites that deal specifically with eating hints for cancer patients.  I began to copy down some of the specific suggestions for your nausea, taste change, vomiting, etc., but I found it to be difficult to stop reading at any one point.  It was as long as a “pdf” file.  It has invaluable “hints” for any cancer patients having problems with eating during treatment.  And so I hope others might benefit from it as well.  It will be the first one listed and is found on the “Mary Stolfa Cancer Foundation” web link.” 

As for me, nausea was not a problem.  I attribute it to taking my nausea med every morning the first thing upon awakening, and long before eating breakfast.  It is called “Granisetron – (KYTRIL)” and has been found to be more effective in clinical trials than the ever popular Ondansetron (ZOFRAN.)  So you might want to talk to your doctor about prescribing Granisetron for you.  It worked as well as a “pre-emptive strike” during chemo/radiation and surgery for me personally. 

Well, Neptune, it won’t be hard to remember your name because we have a "Neptune festival" every year here in Virginia Beach, complete with magnificent sand sculptors who produce fantastic works of art out of sand.  And yes, "high tides" will soon wash the works of art away.  We always “crown” someone as “King Neptune”.  So I immediately thought of that when I saw your name.  

Hoping you will be able to return to some “normalcy” as far as eating is concerned, even though Stage IV of any cancer is a most difficult place to be.  I do wish I could be of more help. 

Sincerely,

Loretta Marshall (Stage IV Peritoneal Carcinomatosis/Ovarian Cancer) and wife of William who is a Stage III Esophageal Cancer patient now well into his 14th year of survival.

1.      http://marystolfacancerfoundation.org/EatingHintsforCancerPatients.html

This is an excellent site and covers all the problems that you are having.  Hopefully it will be of some help.

__________________________________________________________________2.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22081189

“…oral Granisetron can be considered as more effective and well tolerated with minimum adverse effects compared with ondansetron…”

______________________________________________________________________________

3.  http://www.mdedge.com/obgynnews/article/112000/gynecologic-cancer/extended-release-granisetron-superior-antiemetic

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

4.      https://www.cancer.gov/types/head-and-neck/head-neck-fact-sheet

“What are cancers of the head and neck?

Cancers that are known collectively as head and neck cancers usually begin in the squamous cells that line the moist, mucosal surfaces inside the head and neck (for example, inside the mouth, the nose, and the throat). These squamous cell cancers are often referred to as squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Head and neck cancers can also begin in the salivary glands, but salivary gland cancers are relatively uncommon. Salivary glands contain many different types of cells that can become cancerous, so there are many different types of salivary gland cancer.

Cancers of the head and neck are further categorized by the area of the head or neck in which they begin. These areas are described below and labeled in the image of head and neck cancer regions…Pharynx: The pharynx (throat) is a hollow tube about 5 inches long that starts behind the nose and leads to the esophagus. It has three parts: the nasopharynx (the upper part of the pharynx, behind the nose); the oropharynx (the middle part of the pharynx, including the soft palate [the back of the mouth], the base of the tongue, and the tonsils); the hypopharynx (the lower part of the pharynx)...

What are the side effects of treatment?

Patients who receive radiation to the head and neck may experience redness, irritation, and sores in the mouth; a dry mouth or thickened saliva; difficulty in swallowing; changes in taste; or nausea. Other problems that may occur during treatment are loss of taste, which may decrease appetite and affect nutrition, and earaches (caused by the hardening of ear wax). Patients may also notice some swelling or drooping of the skin under the chin and changes in the texture of the skin. The jaw may feel stiff, and patients may not be able to open their mouth as wide as before treatment.

Patients should report any side effects to their doctor or nurse, and discuss how to deal with them…”

5.      https://csn.cancer.org/forum/164

This forum is included in this CSN site.  It includes multiple pages of questions and comments from people who’ve been diagnosed with “Head and Neck” Cancer.  You might also direct your question to them as well.  No doubt others have experienced the very same symptoms.

__________________________End of references____________________