Fever

Options

My husband has completed his first week of treatment. For the past two nights he has had a fever 99.4-100.2.

He is doing well with fluid intake and eating. Is this common for the NPC patient to run a low grade fever during treatment?

I know I need to be certain he is hydrated properly during the fever. Any other things I should look out for?

S

Comments

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes

Fairly common I believe.

Hospital won't tell you to go in till you are solidly over 100.4

• Kapital
    Kapital Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    fever

My husband used to run a fever in the evening, towards the end of each week of radiation.  Fridays, he would run anywhere from 100.1 to 100.7. He went to radiation in the afternoon. In the evening, after he got home, he would get chilled and run a fever for a few hours, and then it would be gone. I was super worried that he was getting sick, or had an infection, but that never seemed to be the case.

He was treated for tonsil cancer with 6 ½ weeks of daily IMRT radiation and 3 rounds of Carboplatin.

Of course, if your husband has any sign of an infection I would take him in to see his doctor ASAP, but for us, it just seemed to be a side effect of the radiation treatment.

Good luck.

• Engelsa
    Engelsa Member Posts: 50
    edited April 2017 #4
    Options
    Thank you

I really appreciate the advice and calmness. It really helped me last night.

S