Lymph node and Tonsil swelling

Options

Hey all,

I've read a few dated posts and everyone seems very supportive and informative on this subject so I thought I'd start a thread.

I'm 24/M and feeling anxious about a few swollen glands under my jaw which have been there for close to 6 months now and my tonsils have just swollen, just enough to feel them when I swallow.

I've had my blood cultures taken for next to everything which came back negative and 2 ultrasounds on the nodes in my neck now, showing slight enlargement from my original scan. (I put it down to me subconsciously playing with them and making them tender) But now that my tonsils too have swollen I'm getting a little worried.

I've read that a lot of people have suggested to have a tonsillectomy as biopsies can be fairly 'hit-and-miss' so I was wondering if I could have a second opinion and hopefully ease my paranoia.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    edited April 2017 #2
    Options
    welcome

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the H&N forum, sorry that you are here.

Many of us started our journey with swollen lymph nodes in the neck area to be an indicator of things to come.  Many of us find a primary after going to an ENT and having scans and biopsies.  A positive biopsy is often the clincher for us.

You are young and should not have cancer (Matt’s rule) and your doctor isn’t leaning that way yet.  Yes, you can get a 2nd opinion, but most likely more through testing is in order.

I hope you are a short time visitor, we do not wish this stuff on anyone.

Matt

• CraigW123
    CraigW123 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

welcome

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the H&N forum, sorry that you are here.

Many of us started our journey with swollen lymph nodes in the neck area to be an indicator of things to come.  Many of us find a primary after going to an ENT and having scans and biopsies.  A positive biopsy is often the clincher for us.

You are young and should not have cancer (Matt’s rule) and your doctor isn’t leaning that way yet.  Yes, you can get a 2nd opinion, but most likely more through testing is in order.

I hope you are a short time visitor, we do not wish this stuff on anyone.

Matt

Thanks

Thanks for your reply Matt,

This is probably a silly question, but how long can something like this be left? (Obviously the sooner the better) 

I only ask because due to funding and the time frame of the public system, I'm at a cross roads on what my next course of action is.