Dental work while taking Avastin?

Options
vtspa6
vtspa6 Member Posts: 172

My poor husband really needs at least a few teeth pulled for starters.  His Onc. asks if he can hold out, says he will need to stop taking Avastin for 4 weeks and really does not want him to.  Has anyone else had to have dental work done while on this drug?  Is there any special treatment the Dentist could do so he could stay on this drug while getting his teeth pulled?  Any answers would be appreciative, Thanks!

Comments

• traci43
    traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
    edited April 2017 #2
    Options
    not sure

I've not had dental work while on chemo, but like many I had a port put in.  The scar from the incision did not heal while on FOLOX + Avastin but healed up quickly after I finished my 12 rounds.  Avastin stops blood vessels from forming and I think that is in part why things don't heal well. Even if the point of chemo is tumor reduction before surgery, they will stop the Avastin early.  I don't know that I would try to work around the Avastin, he can still get the other chemo drugs like  5-FU, Xeloda, Irinotecan, Oxyliplatin, etc.  Good luck, Traci

• vtspa6
    Options
    traci43 said:

not sure

I've not had dental work while on chemo, but like many I had a port put in.  The scar from the incision did not heal while on FOLOX + Avastin but healed up quickly after I finished my 12 rounds.  Avastin stops blood vessels from forming and I think that is in part why things don't heal well. Even if the point of chemo is tumor reduction before surgery, they will stop the Avastin early.  I don't know that I would try to work around the Avastin, he can still get the other chemo drugs like  5-FU, Xeloda, Irinotecan, Oxyliplatin, etc.  Good luck, Traci

Thanks for the reply.  He is

Thanks for the reply.  He is going to set up for a console w/dentist.  I am hoping that there are new procedures that the dentist can do to help heal the wound when the teeth are removed.  His onc. just does not want him to stop this drug at all.  There are a few spots that have grown (not by much tho) since he started chemo a year and a half ago.  I am guessing onc. fears that this will mess up his treatments and cancer will start to spread. 

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I didn't

I didn't even have my teeth cleaned while on Avastin, my gums wouldn't stop bleeding. Nothing in you body heals as Traci said.  Teeth versus tumors?  Tumors win that one.  Just my opinion but please be careful about stopping chemo.

Best,

Andrea

• Bellen
    Bellen Member Posts: 281 Member
    edited April 2017 #5
    Options
    Avastin and bleeding

My chemo is avastin + folfiri.  After the 6th chemo, I started having nose bleeds and a lot of scabbing in my nasal passages.  Bought secaris, which is a nasal moisturizer gel - has helped.  It has continued, although the bleeding has never been at point of not stopping.  As well, some bloody phlegm in the a.m. - told nose bleed draining into throat.  Sometimes I can just be sitting and blood will drain down from my nose.  Told this is due to the avastin.  I'm sorry, not sure about dental work while on avastin.  

• vtspa6
    Options
    sflgirl said:

I didn't

I didn't even have my teeth cleaned while on Avastin, my gums wouldn't stop bleeding. Nothing in you body heals as Traci said.  Teeth versus tumors?  Tumors win that one.  Just my opinion but please be careful about stopping chemo.

Best,

Andrea

His teeth are getting really

His teeth are getting really bad.  A few were infected and some are loose.  He is having trouble eating and is in pain at times.  Believe me, I am worried sick about him stopping this drug.  I am praying that the oral surgeon has a procedure that can be done without a huge wound?  Lets hope so.

• sflgirl
    sflgirl Member Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    vtspa6 said:

His teeth are getting really

His teeth are getting really bad.  A few were infected and some are loose.  He is having trouble eating and is in pain at times.  Believe me, I am worried sick about him stopping this drug.  I am praying that the oral surgeon has a procedure that can be done without a huge wound?  Lets hope so.

My very best wishes

My very best wishes that he can find some relief. Please let us know what happens so we can support you the best we can.

Andrea

• Nathanv
    Nathanv Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I just needed it. Thanks for

I just needed it. Thanks for sharing.