Scary choking

MMDowns
MMDowns Member Posts: 318

So my husband has started this new lovely form of choking. I know it's from the rads and the mucous. But it's scary. And it hits him out of the Blue. He's been drinking water but honestly it seems like the water makes it worse sometimes. Today he was so bad that he threw up. He can't help it. He says it usually happens at night but this was right during Easter dinner. Is there ANYTHING that he can take or do to help him out.  hes losing sleep due to the choking and Im scared he'll choke in his sleep.  He says he feels like a tickle in his throat but there's nothing there  Other times it's the mucUs.  Tomorrow we are supposed to do the last chemo but I'm terrified that will somehow make the choking worse.  silver lining; we have 4 treatments left!! Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Happy Easter to everyone. 

Comments

• sherylcv13
    sherylcv13 Member Posts: 23
    My husband has some thick

My husband has some thick phlegm in his lungs and has a trach (post-surgery).  We've found that Tussin every 4 - 6 hours keeps it thin enough for him to expel without choking.  I wonder if that would help your husband as well?

• MMDowns
    CivilMatt said:

that is why they call it new normal

MMD,

I would tell you it is all normal and not to worry, but you are looking for more.  I would bestow upon you the magic words, but I was H&N absent when they were revealed, too bad.

I remember all too well the mysterious tickle and cough’s that followed.  It does get much better and solves its self (at least for me).  It can become infectious and go on for a while.  Chances are other than something to sooth his throat, it will be short term.

Toward the end of rads I was all hooked up and ready for zap and I threw my hands up and asked for a do over.  I had to get up. Get a drink, swish and spit, rub my face and arms and re get ready.  No big deal, I felt like I was going to choke and I started again.

Now, I have to be very methodical when I eat and swallow, lots to drink, small bites and be careful, but once in a while something slips by and choke I do.

Relax,

Matt

Matt,

Matt,

Whenever you respond I always feel better. You're right, I do need to relax. It is one of the hardest things to watch as a loved one is sick  there's nothing one can do.  Choking just scares me. Period. And there's that feeling of helplessness when I know he's on a choking jag and cannot stop. I also think because we are so close to the end I just want it to be over. Right now. I know the 4 days will go by quickly but I think it s the quality of the 4 days and the healing process that is scary. The fear of the unknown. I will do my best to relax. Tomorrow is the last chemo. (Hopefully).  Thank you! 

• MMDowns

My husband has some thick

My husband has some thick phlegm in his lungs and has a trach (post-surgery).  We've found that Tussin every 4 - 6 hours keeps it thin enough for him to expel without choking.  I wonder if that would help your husband as well?

It's worth me asking the dr.

It's worth me asking the dr. Tomorrow. Thank you! 

• SASH
    SASH Member Posts: 421 Member
    Night coughing and thick mucous

For some of us sleeping with the head elevated higher than normal sometimes helps.  There were times I would sleep in a recliner or with my head propped up to the point where I was almost sitting up.  While it isn't the most comfortable, but it did help being able to sleep.  Other things to try no dairy at night as this  can make the mucous increase, swish with a solution of baking soda and salt which can help cut the mucous.

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,722 Member
    that is why they call it new normal

MMD,

I would tell you it is all normal and not to worry, but you are looking for more.  I would bestow upon you the magic words, but I was H&N absent when they were revealed, too bad.

I remember all too well the mysterious tickle and cough’s that followed.  It does get much better and solves its self (at least for me).  It can become infectious and go on for a while.  Chances are other than something to sooth his throat, it will be short term.

Toward the end of rads I was all hooked up and ready for zap and I threw my hands up and asked for a do over.  I had to get up. Get a drink, swish and spit, rub my face and arms and re get ready.  No big deal, I felt like I was going to choke and I started again.

Now, I have to be very methodical when I eat and swallow, lots to drink, small bites and be careful, but once in a while something slips by and choke I do.

Relax,

Matt

• MMDowns
    SASH said:

Night coughing and thick mucous

For some of us sleeping with the head elevated higher than normal sometimes helps.  There were times I would sleep in a recliner or with my head propped up to the point where I was almost sitting up.  While it isn't the most comfortable, but it did help being able to sleep.  Other things to try no dairy at night as this  can make the mucous increase, swish with a solution of baking soda and salt which can help cut the mucous.

He does sleep elevated and

He does sleep elevated and has for several weeks. I think what happens is he still snores which drys the throat and causes the choking and the the mucus doesn't help. He uses biotene several times a day. The baking soda and salt mixture made him vomit so he stopped doing that weeks ago. He can't do It. It gags him. We will have to try and power through. Thanks for  tips! 

• HelenBack
    HelenBack Member Posts: 87 Member
    Mucous thinners

My husband had luck with papaya enzyme tablets, but his mucous wasn't too severe. They are small and chewable. At some point his ENT suggested Mucinex when he had thick mucous. Mucinex is one many brands that use the enzyme, guaifenesin. If he can't swallow pills, I believe it comes in liquid form. Avoid the cold formulas that bundle a bunch of stuff you don't need-go for the straight stuff.

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    My hubby is suffering through

My hubby is suffering through the very same problem. That horrible mucous gets globbed up at the back of his throat. He gags and wretches something terrible. And if he's eaten or drank anything recently,  well, that's making a come back too. We are 1 week out of treatment and hanging on by a thread at this point. The doctor has put in orders for a suction machine and I am hoping our insurance approves it Monday.  

I hope your husband gets relief soon!!!

• MMDowns
    edited April 2017 #10

My hubby is suffering through

My hubby is suffering through the very same problem. That horrible mucous gets globbed up at the back of his throat. He gags and wretches something terrible. And if he's eaten or drank anything recently,  well, that's making a come back too. We are 1 week out of treatment and hanging on by a thread at this point. The doctor has put in orders for a suction machine and I am hoping our insurance approves it Monday.  

I hope your husband gets relief soon!!!

Well I am definitely going to

Well I am definitely going to mention that and see if a suction machine is possible. He slept a little better last night. Only one small episode of choking as opposed to two 15-20 min episodes. I'm grateful for small miracles. Hang in there! It's only going to get better now. 

• mapdan
    mapdan Member Posts: 33 Member
    choking

I went through the same thing as everyone here. I slept in a recliner for several months to keep my head elevated. I gagged and threw up for a few weeks after I finished radiation on my neck. I drank lots of water to get through it. I used a suction machine for awhile (my insurance covered it) and it does help so take advantage of all options and listen to folks on this forum as we have been there. And we are there for you folks. 

BUT there is an end to it all. It takes time but you will get through it. I am 6 months out of treatment and no choking or mucas anymore. Eating is still a little tricky but I enjoyed Easter dinner with my family. My menu was a little different than theirs ( some soup and soft foods) BUT I was there with them and thats what matters. Asked my girlfriend (caregiver) to marry me so keep looking to the future everyone. 

• mskitty137
    mskitty137 Member Posts: 73
    edited April 2017 #12
    Congratulations on your

Congratulations on your engagement!!!! Such great positive news!

• MMDowns
    edited April 2017 #13
    mapdan said:

choking

I went through the same thing as everyone here. I slept in a recliner for several months to keep my head elevated. I gagged and threw up for a few weeks after I finished radiation on my neck. I drank lots of water to get through it. I used a suction machine for awhile (my insurance covered it) and it does help so take advantage of all options and listen to folks on this forum as we have been there. And we are there for you folks. 

BUT there is an end to it all. It takes time but you will get through it. I am 6 months out of treatment and no choking or mucas anymore. Eating is still a little tricky but I enjoyed Easter dinner with my family. My menu was a little different than theirs ( some soup and soft foods) BUT I was there with them and thats what matters. Asked my girlfriend (caregiver) to marry me so keep looking to the future everyone. 

How wonderful!!

How wonderful!! Congratulations on your engagement! What a lovely Easter memory.  Thanks for the advice and knowing it will be over sooner than later is good news. 

• Joy123
    Joy123 Member Posts: 11
    yes it does get better.  I

yes it does get better.  I choked on the mucous day and night. it was horrible.   I'm still sleeping in a recliner to keep my head elevated.  the mucous is much better now.  try the liquid mucinex.  also try the baking soda rinse without the salt and see if that helps.  my mouth is still  tore up from the radiation and chemo treatments.  i can swallow the liquids though.  i use the biotene rinse for the dry mouth.  seems to help.   hang in there. 

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    mapdan said:

choking

Congratulations!

I hope she said "yes" ;-)  And you know for sure that she will be with you through sickness and health.  I wish you many, many years of happiness together!