Back in the fight, sigh - surgery update

traci43
traci43 Member Posts: 773 Member
edited April 2017 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I was three months away from saying "I've been NED for 3 years".  Instead I get to say I've got another recurrence. S--t.  I've been working on losing weight since the beginning of the year before my surgeon repaired my peristomal hernia. I recently had an obstruction, spent 5 days in hospital with a nasty NG tube. After getting the all clear, I headed home, only to have the pain start up again. Now, a  week later I'm back in the hospital after getting a PICC line for nutrition because I have't eaten in 2 weeks, and getting a PET Scan which revealed two tumors 2-3 cm each. Oh, yeah I've got an NG tube again. Next week I'll have the first of two or three surgeries to give me a temporary ilieostomy to go with my colostomy. The hope is that I can eat and get some nutrition, gain strength so I can do some chemo then HIPEC surgery! After HIPEC, it's more chemo and a take down of the temporary iliestomy. My surgeon even talked about reversing my colostomy, I would love that.  After all that he will consider repairing the hernia.   I've got a project at work that I finally got to work on and don't want to give up. Also, we are starting to remodel the master bedroom and bath. It's going to be a busy year.

My HMO has always been against HIPEC, but now they've got a doc from Pittsburgh. I had to fight so hard for this in 2009, now they are offering it without my even asking. Crazy.  I need to find out the surgeon's name. I wat to do some research on him/her.

Sorry for the long post, but a lot has happened and I needed to get it out.  I'm pretty upset with the recurrence. I've never in the 10 years since initial diagnosis gone so long witout a recurrence.  I was really starting to believe that msybe I had bet the beast.  Sigh.

Traci

Surgery update

I had surgery on Wednesday, doing well so far.  Just want to get my intestines moving so I can eat and get out of here! I am so tired of being in hospital--10 days now plus another 5 earlier this month.  The surgery was quite successful, looks like they got everything and the 2 tumors were only attached to small intestine so less chance of spreading.  No new stoma, thank goodness, and likely no HIPEC either.  The only question right now is post-surgery chemo or not, and that will be based on a meeting with my onc and the pathology results.  Hurray!

Comments

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Oh Traci, I'm so sorry. What

Oh Traci, I'm so sorry. What a disappointment. And a lot of stuff coming up. I feel so badly for you. I hope you breeze through it and come out with flying colours and no colostomy!

Thinking of you,

Jan

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    D**N!

I am sick in my heart to hear this, Traci.  Why oh why oh why?!!!

What does it take to beat this horrible disease? Whatever it is, I pray you have it. 

I'm at a loss for words.  

I still plan on visiting with you when I head down your way, even more so now.  You will be in my thoughts, prayers and heart.  

TRU

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    edited April 2017 #4
    Sorry Traci

The options never change, you just do what you have to to beat it. My old surgeon never ever sugar coated it. His comment "you are in the zone, you have beaten this one , expect more" . So we reamain ever vigilant we band of survivors. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Hugs Ron.

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm sorry Traci, setbacks

I'm sorry Traci, setbacks suck. Having to go through getting the mets out again, is painful to ponder, and as I am six months from the three year's NED, almost ten years in as well, wishing to make it to Sep to get my jumbo hernia fixed, well, all the parallels , have me worried. I'm even just starting the redo on my bed/bath. I want to say you deserve to get this in the rearview, but fair and deserving, of course, are notions not related to this battle. I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly, so you can get back to counting the days of being clear again.  I'm thinking I need to reschedule the Onc meeting I bumped last month. Getting casual about check-ups suddenly sounds real dumb to me. Hang tough, my thoughts are with you........................................................Dave

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    C--p

Sorry to see this Traci.  I wish I had some good words.  I had a met officially diagnosed a year after chemo was done, but only have been dealing with this all for just a bit short of 2-1/2 years...thoughts are with you.

• traci43
    edited April 2017 #7
    JanJan63 said:

Oh Traci, I'm so sorry. What

Oh Traci, I'm so sorry. What a disappointment. And a lot of stuff coming up. I feel so badly for you. I hope you breeze through it and come out with flying colours and no colostomy!

Thinking of you,

Jan

Thanks Jan!

I will fight this with everything I've got.  Traci

• traci43
    Trubrit said:

D**N!

I am sick in my heart to hear this, Traci.  Why oh why oh why?!!!

What does it take to beat this horrible disease? Whatever it is, I pray you have it. 

I'm at a loss for words.  

I still plan on visiting with you when I head down your way, even more so now.  You will be in my thoughts, prayers and heart.  

TRU

D**N! is right!

Well at least this way I'll probably be home when you come to visit.  Wink  I'm still working towards another Happy Dance man.  Take care, Traci

• traci43
    ron50 said:

Sorry Traci

The options never change, you just do what you have to to beat it. My old surgeon never ever sugar coated it. His comment "you are in the zone, you have beaten this one , expect more" . So we reamain ever vigilant we band of survivors. My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery, Hugs Ron.

Thanks Ron

My surgeon says I'm a good candidate for all he wants to do and is optmistic.  He says he holds me up as an example of someone that is doing pretty good long term, as you are one of my examples.  Take care, Traci

• traci43

I'm sorry Traci, setbacks

I'm sorry Traci, setbacks suck. Having to go through getting the mets out again, is painful to ponder, and as I am six months from the three year's NED, almost ten years in as well, wishing to make it to Sep to get my jumbo hernia fixed, well, all the parallels , have me worried. I'm even just starting the redo on my bed/bath. I want to say you deserve to get this in the rearview, but fair and deserving, of course, are notions not related to this battle. I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly, so you can get back to counting the days of being clear again.  I'm thinking I need to reschedule the Onc meeting I bumped last month. Getting casual about check-ups suddenly sounds real dumb to me. Hang tough, my thoughts are with you........................................................Dave

It's just a setback

I kind of like how you describe it as a setback.  That's really what it is, just a setback on the road.  The part for me that sucks is that I have had scanxiety with each blood test and CT Scan and was just starting to relax when my appointments would come around, now it will be back full scale.  Definitely go and get yourself checked, and I hope that the results will be normal.  Take care, Traci

• traci43
    NewHere said:

C--p

Sorry to see this Traci.  I wish I had some good words.  I had a met officially diagnosed a year after chemo was done, but only have been dealing with this all for just a bit short of 2-1/2 years...thoughts are with you.

Been at it for almost 10 years now

In the beginning, I was like you with mets less than a year post chemo.  But the last surgery really gave me a good break.  I believe that surgery is the best option for me andwill be happy to get through the HIPEC.  That will really give me another good break, I hope.  Several folks on this board have had to have multiple surgeries and/ chemo for mets.  It's not the preferred result, but we somehow get through it, and I hope you will too.  Take care, Traci

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    Oh Traci...

... what a damn shxt!
    All fingers crossed for the next steps.

A big hug from Germany

Petra

• abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    UPMC is one of the best for HIPEC

Dr. Bartlett and his team are leaders in the field.  It's a long haul, and I'm so sorry that you are back in the thick of things again.  My vocabulary would be redacted; you can fill in the blanks.  #$%#  )(*)%$  !@#D#

Sending hugs,

Alice

• traci43
    abrub said:

UPMC is one of the best for HIPEC

Dr. Bartlett and his team are leaders in the field.  It's a long haul, and I'm so sorry that you are back in the thick of things again.  My vocabulary would be redacted; you can fill in the blanks.  #$%#  )(*)%$  !@#D#

Sending hugs,

Alice

Alice, I knew you'd know who

Alice, I knew you'd know who the experts are.  I admit my HIPEC research is a bit dated at this point.  I still don't know who the HIPEC person is at my HMO.  I sure hope it's someone that worked with Bartlett.  I guess I'll learn more as it gets closer.  My HMO won't sent me to anyone, preferring to use their folks.  I want to make sure the person is experienced before finally committig to another HIPEC.  I also need to start working out.  I was bootcamping before my last HIPEC and did really well.  I'm no where close to be in good shape at this point.

As far as your vocabulary goes, probably what I've been saying, lol.  Hope you're doing well.  Traci

• traci43
    Semira said:

Oh Traci...

... what a damn shxt!
    All fingers crossed for the next steps.

A big hug from Germany

Petra

thanks!

Petra - Thanks so much.  Love your avatar.  Beautiful kitty.  Traci

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    edited April 2017 #16
    Wishing you

all the best outcomes possible as you fight this nasty beast.  

• traci43
    edited April 2017 #17
    PamRav said:

Wishing you

all the best outcomes possible as you fight this nasty beast.  

Thanks Pam

Recovering from surgery nicely.  Hope to go home soon. Traci

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    traci43 said:

Thanks Pam

Thinking of you

I hope you are on your way home really soon, as there is no place better than your own house and bed for recovery. 

TRU

• ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Sounds like the best possible outcome

Wishing you a speedy recovery, all the best Ron.

• Semira
    Semira Member Posts: 381 Member
    Thanks for the update...

... sounds as good as could be. Hope you'll get out there soon.

A big hug from Germany

Petra

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    traci43 said:

Thanks Pam

Glad To See That

Just saw the post and the recovery is going well for you.  Hope you are close to getting sprung Laughing