Recurrent Squamous Cell Skin Cancer

IfYouHaveaPulse
IfYouHaveaPulse Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi all,

Happy to have found this forum. I had my first squamous cell lesion removed (with margins) in May 2015. I discovered it after some of the ink didn't take in a tattoo I got over a sore that had been there for over 2 years. Funny enough, the ink didn't take in part of the letter P of Pain. My tattoo was: HOPE - Hang On Pain Ends. Anyhow, was above my wrist on my left arm and it was removed successfully. Fastworward to a few weeks ago. I noticed I had two new sores/lesions on same arm, first between my elbow and shoulder and second on shoulder. They appeared quickly, were hard, painful and were itchy. Dr did punch biopsies on both and both came back Squamous Cell. Had wide excision with margins and down to subcutaneous fat layer on the shoulder one Thursday morning. I begged him to do both at the same time but he wouldn't. In the mean time, while I wait for pathology report on this one I am doing research on why I have had two recurrences at the same time on same arm as the first and both squamous cell. Best I can tell from what I've researched they are both stage 2.

I am feeling emotionally conflicted about my worry and concerns because I am the first to say to myself, my doctor and others, I did this to myself. Choices have consequences. I ignored every single person who told me to stay out of the sun and tanning beds since I started around age 13, I am now 45. As ridiculous as this may sound, at that young age I stupidly delighted in each sun burn, thinking I would be more attractive once I was tan. The only way I can describe it is feeling like, I made my bed and now it's time to lie in it, I have no right or business to get to 'feel' anything about it.

What I am mostly feeling right now is: curious and hungry for information on other's experience, treatment, recurrence, recommendations! Thanks in advance and prayers and healing thoughts to everyone here!

Comments

• cathtx98
    cathtx98 Member Posts: 1 *

I am just getting on the site, but see you text about 7 years ago. I was recently diagnosed with squamous cell in my left arm after getting my 1st one removed about 4 months ago. I also loved to get Burns from the ago of 8. I am now 62 and burned just last summer. Not doing that any more. I was stupid enough to think I would never get skin cancer. I guess I deserve it too, but am still sad and scared.

Hoping you were still connected and could let me know how you are.

• IfYouHaveaPulse
    IfYouHaveaPulse Member Posts: 2 Member

Thank you so much for reaching out and replying to my post! I’m still alive and kicking, saw dermatologist in December and looking at just my arms he said I’d look like I had been in a Saw movie if he did biopsies and excisions on all of my lesions. I’m set to start topical Chemotherapy soon, I just really need to make sure it’s during a time at work that I can handle all of the potential and probable side affects which are mostly redness, burning, blistering, bleeding, scabbing and itching on both of my arms from shoulder to wrists for a minimum of 30 days…stay tuned for updates! Sending hugs and prayers your way for healing too 🤗🙏🤗🙏

• airborne72
    airborne72 Member Posts: 296 Member

IYHAP:

I read your recent post and noticed that you will soon try the ointment (5fu?) on your arms. I have used it twice in the last 8 years both times on my face and scalp. Today I finally learned how to get the pictures from my camera to my computer (I'm 72 and learning something new everyday) so I thought I would post a couple of pictures of a real person, not an actor, who used the cream. These pictures were taken about three weeks into my treatment.

The process is slow and does result in unsightly "boo boo's" on your skin which itch and burn. BUT, soon thereafter the lesions disappear and you can't even tell that any of it was there to begin with. I did my last treatment on Halloween so it complimented my costume (got to find some humor in cancer otherwise it can become totally depressing).

My skin cancer has been an ongoing issue since 2012, The treatment regimen alternates from burning to freezing to excising to applying the cream. When I was young I played outside whenever I could and prided myself on getting a sun tan. Besides the environment, genetics also plays a role. I have sandy colored hair and blue eyes.

Non melanoma skin cancer is an irritant. Left untreated it can become lethal but its treatment is very unsightly. Good luck and routinely visit your dermatologist for the rest of your life.

Jim

After reviewing the pictures I think I need to let you know that my ears are not really that big!