Gabapentin

Options

What you are about to read is very true, nothing has been added or taken away. Thank you, ever so much. The information I am about to reveal is to help people handle their bout with head and neck cancer. So that no one is confused by my take on all this cancer stuff, I know absolutely nothing about any form of cancer. With that said, lets get on with it.  I am an 82 year old black man, (although you would'nt know it), and I work a full 40 hour week in the house building industries. On Monday February 13, 2017 I started proton therapy at Scripps under Dr. Ryan Grover, and for the next 35 treatments, I just finished up on Wednesday April 5, 2017. It has been quite a ride. It was not until about the end that my skin begin to peel, not a lot but enough to make my neck sore. I forgot to mention, I refused to do any form of chemo treatments. Whether that is good or bad I don't know. For me, (my opinion only), it is bad. Right now the only problem I'm dealing with is seriously sore thoat, weight lost, and no smell or taste, of these I am most concerned about my sore thoat, when will it go away?. Dr. Grover did say that Gabapentin would help a lot. I someone should have some positive input on this drug please advise. Thank you, very much. I welcome all comments.

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Two perspectives

And neither from my own experience.

My husband uses gabapentin for nerve damage pain from head and neck cancer and says it helps.

Our 34 year old daughter uses gabapentin for her multiple sclerosis pain and says it is her first line defense against the pain.

Hope this helps.

• Kapital
    Kapital Member Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2017 #3
    Options
    Gabapentin

I have never taken Gabapentin, but from what I understand it is supposed to make nerves less sensitive to pain. My Mom takes it for peripheral neuropathy and finds it helpful. Good luck.

• dw195
    dw195 Member Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Rich82

You should definately take the Gabapentin, I also had H&N Proton treatment at Scripps and the Gabapentin helped me a lot. I'm surprised Dr. Grover didn't mention it to you sooner. You have to ramp up taking it until you get to 3 pills / 3 times a day. I just ramped down and today is my last day taking it.

Don

• Nancy24
    Nancy24 Member Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes to Gabapentin

I can only echo what Don has posted.  My husband also had Proton at Scripps under Dr. Grover last summer.  He started taking Gabapentin the first week of treatment and ramped up to 3 pills/3 times a day and NEVER experienced a sore throat. I, too, am surprised that Dr. Grover didn't put you on it right away.  Definitely take it - it was like a miracle drug for my husband.

Nancy

• nurse b
    nurse b Member Posts: 2
    Options
    dw195 said:

Hi Rich82

You should definately take the Gabapentin, I also had H&N Proton treatment at Scripps and the Gabapentin helped me a lot. I'm surprised Dr. Grover didn't mention it to you sooner. You have to ramp up taking it until you get to 3 pills / 3 times a day. I just ramped down and today is my last day taking it.

Don

Gabapentin

My husband has been taking a much lower dose of gabapentin during radiation.  He had his last treatment this past Thursday and wants to quit taking it because of side effects.  How long did yoiu taper off?  The pharamcist told him to just stop but I have heard that it must be tapered down.  He is only taking 600mg.

Burlene

• johnsonbl
    johnsonbl Member Posts: 266 Member
    edited September 2017 #7
    Options
    nurse b said:

Gabapentin

My husband has been taking a much lower dose of gabapentin during radiation.  He had his last treatment this past Thursday and wants to quit taking it because of side effects.  How long did yoiu taper off?  The pharamcist told him to just stop but I have heard that it must be tapered down.  He is only taking 600mg.

Burlene

I dont' think 600mg is considered a low dose....

and there are some risks to gabapentin and should be tapered on and off.  contact your oncologist or a pharmacist in your cancer center to get a 2nd opinion on how to stop taking it.  Don't just stop.

Brandon

• nurse b
    nurse b Member Posts: 2
    Options
    johnsonbl said:

I dont' think 600mg is considered a low dose....

and there are some risks to gabapentin and should be tapered on and off.  contact your oncologist or a pharmacist in your cancer center to get a 2nd opinion on how to stop taking it.  Don't just stop.

Brandon

gabapentin taper

My husbnad saw his MD today who also said that the gabapentin should be tapered over the course of a few days.  Hopefully he will lisyten, but he is having unpleasant side effects and just wants to quit cold turkey.  Stubborn!