Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy

Options

So, dear sisters, I want to open a new topic for discussion.  After religiously using the vaginal dilator (I was using the cool water cones) since October after my last radiation therapy, I felt I wasn't making any progress and actually was feeling some pain. So I decided to consult with a nurse practioner I found in a web search who had written an article regarding the use of dilators.  Lucky for me, she had an office not far from where I live.

She did a thorough evaluation and measured my vaginal length and determined that the muscles in my vagina are very contracted and tight and this was leading to the pain.  She also taught me the correct way to use the dilator.  She said the cool water cones, because of their shape and texture, would not help me and she recommended I use the dilator that I was given by my radiation oncologist.  She said there were a couple options; one would be vaginally inserterd valium (off label, insurance doesn't cover, has to be compounded) and/or a type of pelvic floor physical therapy.  I chose the physical therapy and will have my first visit tomorrow.  

I'll keep you posted how the physical therapy goes.  Frankly I'm not looking forward to it, but if it can solve this issue, I'm willing to do it.  I was lucky to find this provider.  I didn't get this type of advice at my cancer center.   It's too bad that we all do not get this type of evaluation considering our type of cancer because this is such a quality of life issue and difficult to bring up in our regular visits. 

Comments

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,814 Member
    edited April 2017 #2
    Options
    Hey Cheese, thanks for the

Hey Cheese, thanks for the information. I think I'm one of the "lucky" ones. So far I have stayed healthy using the dialator. I use the one given by the radiologist. The cool water cones required rewetting during that 10 minute insertion so it wasn't worth it to me. We never know when that healthy can turn around so I'm interested in hearing about the therapy. Frankly, I can't even imagine what they will do?!

Also, GREAT Picture! You sure look like you have loads of hair back on your head!  :-)

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• derMaus
    derMaus Member Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great Information

Thanks Cheese Queen! This is very helpful as I just finished chemo and will be starting radiation in a couple of weeks. Love the new picture - your hair is beautiful!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,448 Member
    Options
    Dear CheeseQueen.  Thank you

Dear CheeseQueen.  Thank you for starting a new thread - sometimes they just get too long for me and I get lost. 

What an interesting topic.  Like Cindi, I use the 'candlesticks' given to me by the office.  I was started with the Medium and the doctor told them to give me the Large.  Ok, can I say HOLY COW!!!  It took awhile but I can use it.  

I am curious about what kind of "physical therapy" you get...

I totally LOVE the pic!  

• Nellasing
    Nellasing Member Posts: 528 Member
    edited April 2017 #5
    Options
    I saw a pelvic floor therapist

she trained under Tami Kent and because I was just checking in to this she recommended the book by Ms. Kent that I will link here- if some of you want to look into that it might be an interesting read- also you can look up pelvic floor therapy on Youtube and actually get some info there... I watched a few just to see what I thought.   http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5972392-wild-feminine

Thinking of you ladies and sending big (((HUGS)))

PS  Cheese I love the new pic too  :D

• Kvdyson
    Kvdyson Member Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this

Thank you for posting this thread, Susan. I have suddenly developed urinary incontinence (the "slow drip" kind rather than the "sneeze and cough" kind) so this topic has become very relevant to me. I appreciate you always posting helpful information! Also, love the new picture. Your hair looks amazingly full and beautiful! Kim

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Update

I know what you mean by being "drippy" Kvdyson!  I've resorted to wearing a pantyliner and that seems to be just enough, but still annoying. The urine culture the NP did was positive for 3 organisms so I'm yet again on antibiotics. She did some special DNA culture. I had a culture a couple weeks ago that was negative. This is a real pain. 

I plan to start the pelvic floor PT on May 1. Meanwhile, I'm having real difficulty with that damned dilator. I hope the PT is the solution. It never ends does it?

• CheeseQueen57
    CheeseQueen57 Member Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Hair

BTW, hair is nice and curly and full on sides and nape but I've got a real badly spot on my crown. Thinking of getting a topper!