Question about after surgery pains

ambava33
ambava33 Member Posts: 74 Member

Happy Sunday everyone! So this may be a little TMI but I am just curious if this happened to anyone else. I noticed about 2-3 days after my partial nephrectomy that my pubic bone area and into my groing area it feels bruised. I honestly didn't think to much about it because I figured it may of been a nerve or something to do with surgery, but now I am kind of questioning if it's normal or not? It's nothing debilitating but it is sore, feels just like a bruise, but no bruise is visible? I do have an incision that is about to the lower right of my abdomen that I am wondering if that has something to do with it? Anywho just inquiring I plan on talking to my doc about it tomorrow but just thought I'd ask in the mean time. 

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    I remember

having pain in that area after my partial.  My surgery was for a tumor on my right kidney.  Because of that, the drain tube was on the right side, just below my pant line.  Since my pain around my pubic/groin area were more on the right side, I attributed it to settling of some of the fluid after my drain tube was pulled.  This is just a speculation.  Don't worry, the pain fades away gradually.

Stub

• ambava33
    edited April 2017 #3
    Stub you are awesome

thank you for answering all my questions, seriously you have always answered and made me feel better. It is on my right side only and that's where I had my partial nephrectomy so it makes sense to me, but wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Other than that pain I feel pretty darn good and even that pain is nothing serious, just feels like a bruise. Enjoy your Sunday!

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    I'm 9 months out from surgery

I'm 9 months out from surgery and from day one, I've had a numb sensation in my right hip.  No pain, just like your foot would feel if it falls asleep.  Surgeon said it happens from time to time.  I run with no pain, so I ignore it.

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2017 #5
    Yes...

I was tender on both sides of my pubic bone, but mostly on the right side. Since we're in TMI territory I'll tell you that my right testicle was tender too. There's a duct that runs from there past the pubic bone to somewhere. Now if you really want too much information, my right testicle is noticably larger than the left. I am trying to remember if it was before. You would think I'd know...

I'll ask the urologist about it tody. I am just about to leave for the hospital.

Steve.

• ambava33

Yes...

I was tender on both sides of my pubic bone, but mostly on the right side. Since we're in TMI territory I'll tell you that my right testicle was tender too. There's a duct that runs from there past the pubic bone to somewhere. Now if you really want too much information, my right testicle is noticably larger than the left. I am trying to remember if it was before. You would think I'd know...

I'll ask the urologist about it tody. I am just about to leave for the hospital.

Steve.

Steve.Adam

Isn't it crazy how much more attentive we are to our bodies. They do say one side of our body is bigger than the other side, so I would venture to say it may of always been that way but now you are much more aware, but truly, who knows. Glad to know I am not the only one this happened to, thanks for sharing your TMI story with me. 

• Steve.Adam
    Steve.Adam Member Posts: 463 Member
    ambava33 said:

Steve.Adam

Isn't it crazy how much more attentive we are to our bodies. They do say one side of our body is bigger than the other side, so I would venture to say it may of always been that way but now you are much more aware, but truly, who knows. Glad to know I am not the only one this happened to, thanks for sharing your TMI story with me. 

Back from Urologist

Well, now I know the answer. The Urologist got interested and drew a diagram.

Part of the blood supply for the testes comes from the big vessels that supply the kidneys. That part of the blood supply disappeared either with the kidney or during the emergency surgery. The testicle gets a bit bigger because the blood does not clear as well. Apparently it is fairly common. His reassuring comment was 'They are nearly always viable'.

I told him about the pubic bone bruised feeling but don't remember him saying anything about it. In my case it went away 2 - 3 weeks after the surgery.

Since you had a partial and don't have testes I guess this is not very useful information for you, but who knows. There are more similarities than differences between women and men.

You're right about being more attentive.

Steve.

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    ambava33 said:

Stub you are awesome

thank you for answering all my questions, seriously you have always answered and made me feel better. It is on my right side only and that's where I had my partial nephrectomy so it makes sense to me, but wasn't sure if it was normal or not. Other than that pain I feel pretty darn good and even that pain is nothing serious, just feels like a bruise. Enjoy your Sunday!

You're welcome.

It certainly helps that there are some similarities with us in the aches, pains, fears and anxiety.  It's rewarding knowing I'm returning the favor as others have done for me on this site.  Take care.

Stub

• ambava33

Back from Urologist

Well, now I know the answer. The Urologist got interested and drew a diagram.

Part of the blood supply for the testes comes from the big vessels that supply the kidneys. That part of the blood supply disappeared either with the kidney or during the emergency surgery. The testicle gets a bit bigger because the blood does not clear as well. Apparently it is fairly common. His reassuring comment was 'They are nearly always viable'.

I told him about the pubic bone bruised feeling but don't remember him saying anything about it. In my case it went away 2 - 3 weeks after the surgery.

Since you had a partial and don't have testes I guess this is not very useful information for you, but who knows. There are more similarities than differences between women and men.

You're right about being more attentive.

Steve.

Steve.Adam

Interesting! Well glad you got some solid answers about it, it does all make sense. And more attentive is an understatement. I would say possible obsessed and OCD about my body now. LOL