Paranoia

AmyD1310
AmyD1310 Member Posts: 59

Hey everyone,

I hope this message finds you all well. It's been a week or so since I've posted, although I have been reading posts from others. I am about 4 weeks out from radiation and feeling pretty good. I have a PET/CT scheduled for this coming Saturday, so I'm a bit anxious about that. Every little thing is spinning me into paranoia. My bum has recently begun to itch and my rad onc nurse said it is due to healing, plus i have a hemorrhoid and an anal fissure. Does this sound right? Should I still be itchy at 4 weeks post treatment? I'm so anxious...I just want it to be next week already! Any opinions/insights are welcome. Thanks!

-Amy

Comments

• mp327
    mp327 Member Posts: 4,440 Member
    Amy

I think what you are feeling is normal post-treatment.  I wish you all the very best with the PET/CT.  Try not to worry!

• Dodiefae
    Dodiefae Member Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2017 #3
    Amy

I'm one week behind you in treatment and have similar feelings.

I got bummed last week when the radiologist did a DRE and said he could still feel the mass on the one side. Tomorrow I see my colorectal surgeon at Lankenau who I guess will say the same thing.  I don't yet have a CT or PET scheduled.  I'm hoping my mass will shrink to nothing in the next couple weeks, but only time will tell.

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    Amy and Dodiefae

The itching is normal healing. Remember the radiation keeps working for at least six months after treatment so the mass may not be completely gone yet even though you have finished treatment. I would be wanting the colorectal surgeon's opinion, maybe he or she will think it is scar tissue instead of mass. If your doctor doesn't have some grey hair they may not have had very many anal cancer patients since it is so rare. Remind yourselves of the high chance of successful treatment ( I was told 95% in my case). We will all be sending positive thoughts your way!!

• AmyD1310
    Dodiefae said:

Amy

I'm one week behind you in treatment and have similar feelings.

I got bummed last week when the radiologist did a DRE and said he could still feel the mass on the one side. Tomorrow I see my colorectal surgeon at Lankenau who I guess will say the same thing.  I don't yet have a CT or PET scheduled.  I'm hoping my mass will shrink to nothing in the next couple weeks, but only time will tell.

Who is your colorectal

Who is your colorectal surgeon at Lankenau? That's where I go. My colorectal surgeon actually did a DRE last Tuesday and said he didn't feel anything, so I guess I'm probably being very paranoid considering what he said. 

• AmyD1310
    edited April 2017 #6

Amy and Dodiefae

The itching is normal healing. Remember the radiation keeps working for at least six months after treatment so the mass may not be completely gone yet even though you have finished treatment. I would be wanting the colorectal surgeon's opinion, maybe he or she will think it is scar tissue instead of mass. If your doctor doesn't have some grey hair they may not have had very many anal cancer patients since it is so rare. Remind yourselves of the high chance of successful treatment ( I was told 95% in my case). We will all be sending positive thoughts your way!!

You are so right.! I am doing

You are so right.! I am doing my best to stay positive. My doctor gave me a 97% chance of being cured, so I'm just praying and hoping he is right! 

• AmyD1310
    mp327 said:

Amy

I think what you are feeling is normal post-treatment.  I wish you all the very best with the PET/CT.  Try not to worry!

Thank you, Martha. I am doing

Thank you, Martha. I am doing my best to stay positive and hope for the best!

• Dodiefae
    edited April 2017 #8
    Colorectal

i see Dr. Marks.  He originally gave me 80 to 90% chance of the chemo and radiation working. My mass was large -  ~ 4 cm.  

• AmyD1310
    Dodiefae said:

Colorectal

i see Dr. Marks.  He originally gave me 80 to 90% chance of the chemo and radiation working. My mass was large -  ~ 4 cm.  

I see Dr. Noone. He'a always

I see Dr. Noone. He'a always so kind. I wish you the best!

• Dodiefae
    Amy

Thanks!   You too!

• Mollymaude
    Mollymaude Member Posts: 431 Member
    edited April 2017 #11
    Dodiefae

My tumor was the size of a chicken egg and I have a little over a year with NED (no evidence of disease).

• Dodiefae
    Mollymaude

Thanks for the encouragement!