rectal bleeding/stoma/blood thinner

Options

Hello everybody. 

My father is diagnosed with colorectal carcinoma in stage IV. About 2months ago he had  an emergency surgery during our vacations in ghana because of an obstruction. The tumor couldn't be removed so they placed a stoma. He was repatriated to England about a month ago and i accompanied him. 

Long story short.. 

My father also has a lung embolia, so he is currently taking blood thinner injections called Clexane 80mg.

During a Sigmoidoscopy the surgeons told us that the tumor has a small ruptur that is causing bleedings. During that time, he hardly had any rectal bleeding.

But since two weeks my father needs to use the washroom about 3-5 times a day, because of the rectal bleeding. I am pointing out that he has a stoma. 

I am currently is austria with him (that's where i live) to strengthen him before starting with chemo in England. We planned to start chemo end of april and to go back in about two weeks time.

My biggest concern is the bleeding rightnow. I suppose that the Clexane is promoting the bleeding but I am scared... 

Should I take him back to England asap? There might be a chance he becomes anemic if this goes on... or even worse.

My father is an Ambulance and Emergency doctor.. He tells me not to worry. Most of you will think now "If he is a doctor him self, he must know"  Fact is, he kind of ignored all symptoms before being diagnosed with cancer. Generally he tends to downplay most of the sicknesses, pains or symptoms he has or had. 

I hope somebody, anyone can give me some suggestions, thoughts, help.. anything. I would be endless greatful

kind regards

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited April 2017 #2
    Options
    Seek a doctor's advice

Does your father have a specific doctor in England?  If so, can you contact him/her by phone?

The stoma only allows processed food to bypass the tumor, it will have no effect on what is occurring past the stoma, therefore any blood coming from the anus will be related to that bypassed area.

While your father may be a doctor, it sounds as if he does not "doctor" himself.  At the very least I would want a local physician to see him.  With him being on blood thinners, any bleeding may be cause for concern.

Wishing your father best outcome.  He is lucky to have you as his caretaker.

Marie who loves kitties

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about the stoma

I'm confused about the stoma and him going to the washroom. Has he had an ostomy and is only going in that? Or has he got rectal bleeding but isn't 'going'? I've had an illeostomy for over three years and I used to often get a fair amount of blood from the rectum. Sometimes very red bllod, sometimes mixed with mucous. Sorry for being graphic. My surgeon was never concerned. He said the bowels still produce mucous to give the stools lubrication for exiting the body even though there's nothing there. He also said that at times it's normal to have lots of it, being on antibiotics will make it worse as well as a few other factors. I find that I'll have it bad for several days to over a week to the point where I'm wearing a maxi pad and then it just stops for a few weeks. I'm also on blood thinners.

Are you concerned that your father is downplaying this like he did with his symptoms? Maybe it's best to talk to his doctor like Marie suggested. Good luck with your dad!

Jan